The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: ZEBRA MUSSELS  (Read 6392 times)

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rip'n Lips [URL=http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/
ZEBRA MUSSELS
« on: Dec 03, 2016, 03:58 PM »
Not wanting to stir the pot, but I think it needs to be discussed on here. Topic open to any thoughts, "educated' opinions, and how bad it will effect us fisherman/fisheries 

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ZEBRA MUSSELS
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2016, 04:29 PM »
They increase the growth of yellow perch..and walleye can use them as a spawning bed ;D
Dont ask

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2016, 04:38 PM »
I view it as an environmental disaster ~ seein'as how I'm downstream.       :nono:   :callcops:

Tom

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2016, 04:44 PM »
Environmental disaster at the source as well.... :(

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2016, 04:50 PM »
Trying to look at the positive,Im sure the negatives outweigh anything they add to an ecosystem in the long run.
Dont ask

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2016, 04:53 PM »
By source do you mean the Great Lakes?
Dont ask

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2016, 04:54 PM »
Doesn't matter where they came from if they are here now. Going to be hard to raise baby fish if everything they eat is getting filtered up by mussels.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2016, 05:07 PM »
we got the disaster here now yuck Ill keep you posted as they study this lake almost daily

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2016, 05:10 PM »
How long have they been present OG?

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2016, 05:13 PM »
Last I checked Idaho is not down stream from Tiber or Canyon ferry.
Unless the wind blows REALLY hard...
Dont ask

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2016, 05:24 PM »
We've been dealing in one place or another in WI since the mid 80's. Started in the Great Lakes and got trotted all over the place by folks that thought it was a waste of time to bleach live wells and bilges or pressure wash hulls between lakes.

The wringing of hands is pretty much over replaced with the "now how do we deal with the inevitable". In most cases it's not been the "eco-disaster" it was made out to be when first discovered. Water is more clear, so far the little fishies have not been out-competed for food and the biggest real problem seems to be keeping water intakes clear. That and many of the beaches on Lake Michigan are more like walking on broken glass instead of nice warm sand.  >:(

They're in all the lakes by me which empties into a river which empties into a river which eventually meets the Mississippi. That impact is going clear to the Gulf eventually.

So Montanans, get used to it. There's no getting rid of them or going back. It now is what it is. After a time, they'll be everywhere inland...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2016, 05:47 PM »
I guess that is a bit of "good" news, thanks Essox.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2016, 06:04 PM »
Not wanting to stir the pot, but I think it needs to be discussed on here. Topic open to any thoughts, "educated' opinions, and how bad it will effect us fisherman/fisheries 

Last I checked Idaho is not down stream from Tiber or Canyon ferry.

Upon further review of the original post ~ It becomes obvious the Clark Fork River was also excluded. The larval stage has been found there but, it's just another area beyond the places you mentioned WG, where the sun also rises and sets.     :woot: :roflmao: :flex:

I followed your thought and found the Tiber and Canyon Ferry flow into the Mississippi. (or maybe I'm slanted?)   

:icefish:

Offline monk38

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2016, 09:47 PM »
my thought has been.... I wonder if they are in peck as well... a lot of the same boats fishing Tiber, Canyon ferry and Fort Peck.....

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2016, 10:18 PM »
my thought has been.... I wonder if they are in peck as well... a lot of the same boats fishing Tiber, Canyon ferry and Fort Peck.....

not if...when.  If they are in CF and/or Tiber they will be in every body of water in MT in short order.  Can't stop um now, esp since both of those waterbodies feed the MO.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2016, 10:28 PM »
How long have they been present OG?

I think a couple years and a couple years before they new we had them. After saying that we did not.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2016, 10:50 PM »
I've seen them for the longest time here in lake Erie.. I've seen inland lakes more or less saved and brought back from the dead with better water quality/clarity..

Leaving your boat in the water, docked, they will grow on it. Gotta use a lift to keep your boat clean inland lakes..

I'll say this, if the lake didn't need help, any invasive species is bad..

But lake Erie is starting to make some huge pike, musky, and sturgeon.. The clearer water allowed for deeper weed beds and things took off...

<°)))>{

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2016, 10:52 PM »
In all they tourneys you guys have done around the state. How many times have you been check by a dog or even seen a FWP biologist while the tourney guys go through the boat 2 make sure your not cheating. I cant remember seeing one. If we really wanted 2 keep these inavasive species out of our waters there should have been tighter and stricter rules but, what's done is done. There here 2 stay. All we can do is make sure we do what we can not 2 spread them and FISH ON.
Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2016, 10:54 PM »
[/size]
I remember my first beer.

I'm still looking for my first @ 78 years.    :roflmao:

Offline Thinice61

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2016, 10:09 AM »
Until  they  keep the inspection  stations  open 24-7  they will keep bringing  in the zebra  mussels . Most tournament  anglers  get done fishing   tournament  in Minnesota  or wisconsin   than drive straight  through  to start pre fishing  fort peck or tiber with no inspection  done on their  boat

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2016, 12:24 PM »
Until  they  keep the inspection  stations  open 24-7  they will keep bringing  in the zebra  mussels . Most tournament  anglers  get done fishing   tournament  in Minnesota  or wisconsin   than drive straight  through  to start pre fishing  fort peck or tiber with no inspection  done on their  boat

At least before every tourney each boat should have 2 go through a maditory check before they can enter the water weather it be pre-fish or not. If your seen on the water before checking your boat DQ.
Luv2strip

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2016, 12:29 PM »
Don't worry, about spreading it to other nearby waters, I'm pretty sure birds will somehow take care of that, eventually, IMO...

<°)))>{

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2016, 12:32 PM »
Don't worry, about spreading it to other nearby waters, I'm pretty sure birds will somehow take care of that, eventually, IMO...

<°)))>{

So true.
Luv2strip

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2016, 01:15 PM »
At least before every tourney each boat should have 2 go through a maditory check before they can enter the water weather it be pre-fish or not. If your seen on the water before checking your boat DQ.

Been my experience that tourney anglers are more diligent than the average Joe. They usually have to navigate conditions and and rules in multiple states. They are used to doing their due diligence and because it's their livelihood via sponsorship and winnings they're less likely to do anything to bring negative impact to either their reputations or their "office area".

I've seen too many times where "Joe and the fam" come off the lake and head down the road with livewell full and trailing weeds. Hey, if you can't even remember to plug in your trailer lights, put your cooler or life jackets where they won't blow out or even secure the stern to the trailer before you leave who cares about the rest?

Here in WI it's not just mussels and fish that are regulated invasives but several kinds of aquatic plants are on the "Do Not Spread" list. I'd bet most recreational boaters know very little about aquatic invasives if anything at all..... Then even if they do know something they have to take care of business.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rip'n Lips [URL=http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2016, 01:25 PM »
You couldn't be more spot on. The bro boaters here are a damn crap show.

Offline bb400guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2016, 01:50 PM »
I've seen them for the longest time here in lake Erie.. I've seen inland lakes more or less saved and brought back from the dead with better water quality/clarity..

Leaving your boat in the water, docked, they will grow on it. Gotta use a lift to keep your boat clean inland lakes..

I'll say this, if the lake didn't need help, any invasive species is bad..

But lake Erie is starting to make some huge pike, musky, and sturgeon.. The clearer water allowed for deeper weed beds and things took off...

<°)))>{

We now have zebra mussels in Lake Winnipeg via the Red River flowing up from the Dakotas and Minnesota.  They discovered them a few years ago, but it looks like they're everywhere throughtout the southern basin so they must have been in the lake a lot longer than a few years.  Manitoba is no different then Minnesota, soon they will be everywhere.  Lake Winnipeg itself seems to be like Lake Erie, hopefully they'll help more then hurt the fishery.  But all of our shield lakes look to be screwed once they start getting spread around. 
How long is a piece of string?

Offline fishin7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't know unless you go!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2016, 02:54 PM »
As esox_xtm stated I'm willing to bet your tournament anglers are the least of your worries as far as spreading the species.  For one, other than the Gov Cup most Tournaments in Montana are fished by local fisherman or at least semi local.  I fish them all and the only tournament you will see multiple out of state boats is Gov Cup, and there is a mandatory inspection done before that tournament.  Secondly most serious tournament anglers, like myself, that are willing to drive across the state or to other states to fish a tourney are also anal as hell when it comes to there boats.  We are the annoying ones that are in the parking lot cleaning and drying our boats before we even leave the lake.  So to try and put the blame on the "tournament angler" is laughable at best.  The only way to slow down or try and prevent it, is to educate the public/all anglers by having more boat inspections or more on site tutorials.

Offline NorthernAngler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 38.5 Inches of Power
« Reply #27 on: Dec 05, 2016, 03:21 PM »
Right on fishin7, I'm with that. I have a Pro V Lund I plan on keeping until I'm dead. Because they cost a crap load. There is a very small % of boat owners who take care of their boats and drain the wells. Also, the check stations seem to be a joke at times. The one I always get checked at are volunteer workers, not FWP staff. Hell, see one of them check my boat with an ankle bracelet from BPD. Yep, real serious check station.   
NorthernAnglers - "You Catch It, I'll Put It On The Wall"

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 05, 2016, 03:53 PM »
Time will tell if the zebra mussels improve the ecosystem or cause damage to it. they will for sure eventually be a real problem for folks that leave their boats in the water all summer as well as farmers with irrigation equipment. It  would be costly to clean out the siphon tube from Canyon Ferry Damn to the regulating reservoir fill canal. Too late to be pointing fingers, the damage has begun.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline Thinice61

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 05, 2016, 04:23 PM »
Didn't mean to blame just  tournament angler's my main point being we are wasting money  on these check stations when they don't open till 7 and are closed  when I come off the lake at dark.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.