Author Topic: Weird Fishing Events????  (Read 5905 times)

Reelinrolly

Weird Fishing Events????
« on: Dec 06, 2003, 01:57 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has any weird fishing tales or stories of bizzare things happening while fishing.  I thought it was pretty weird when I caught a salmon throught the ice....is this common?

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
Re:Weird Fishing Events????
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2003, 02:21 PM »
I'd be thankful to catch a salmon anytime through the ice or otherwise!  

Offline toph2o

• IceShanty Rookie
  • when in doubt, jerk
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2003, 05:01 PM »
i HAVE CAUGHT trout though the ice in a stripmine that I fish. 3lb trout. What a surprize that was.   toph2o

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2003, 05:39 PM »
Caght on Brown trout in Honeoye lake on a tip down,
How's the ice

NAD42

« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2003, 08:45 PM »
A buddy of mine pulled an otter through the ice on Paradox Lake....he was having fits with one tip-up all day and finally 'caught' the culprit.

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2003, 11:00 PM »
Heard a story one time about a guy spear fishing in a ice shack, he had his black lab with him and a big jack swam underneath them and the dog dove in after it and went down under the ice! The guy was devastated watching and waiting for his dog to maybe swim back to the open hole when he heard all this yelling outside, turns out the dog came out his neighbors hole and scared s---t out of the fisherman and chased him out of his shack

Offline izzyfender

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2003, 11:14 PM »
A jack jumped out of the hole on to the ice once

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2003, 11:35 PM »
I can't imagine what it would be like to have a big, black lab come jumping out of a hole into my shack.  That would certainly be something to see  :o

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2003, 12:22 AM »
Treble, your story takes the cake, but i have a few, not that strange but still exciting.  I was fishing in a pond for trout and landlocked salmon.  anyway the bite was hot and i had just caught half a dozen in a matter of minutes and my hads were cold.  i put back down and started getting a bite, then put my hands in my sweater to warm them up.  I though, unless this fish pulls my rod down i aint going to take my hands out.  that second my rod slams against the ice.  I grabbed it and line just started spooling out like crazy.  I regained the line and got the fish close after about 2 minutes of hard fighting.  I knew the fish wasn't tired, and would take another run.  I thought it was a monster char.  I got it up right under the hole and could almost see it.  Then out pops a 7 inch landlocked king salmon..... To  be continued :P

Offline Cooley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2003, 06:48 AM »
What do you mean to be continued,
       you think this is  N.B.C  or something?
How many men does it take to open a beer,
None...it's open when she brings it! ! !

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2003, 07:04 AM »
Hey Cooley, at least its not a re-run.

Cmon finish the story, jake.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2003, 08:42 AM »
I think maybe he had to go fishing.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2003, 09:56 AM »
Wow the black lab story gets the gold medal. I think that would just about scare the poop out of anyone!

Yah lets here the rest of the story!!  

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2003, 03:42 PM »
so anyway the my buddies are laughing at me. and i pick up the fish and there was a u-shaped line of teeth marks along about half of the fish.  Turns out i was fighting a huge pike for that time and he just didn't want to let go.  
I know instances of pike and other fish taking fish that are already on the line are coomon, but this pike caused the hook to be set into the fish that was biting leaving me no indication i had that happen.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2003, 03:51 PM »
I got another good one and i wont continue this one.  sorry about that couldn't help but put some suspence into it.
Anyway i was jigging for butbot in the middle of january (3 feet of ice) and i was using a 1/2 ounce jig head with a 4 inch softbait tipped with whitefish.  I lost it on the bottom that night, snagged on a rock most likely.  This was on a friday night.  In AK you can set lines overnight for butbot so we did that night and the next night as well.  On sunday, after church, we went and checked the sets.  we ended up with 6 3 nice ones between 6-8 pounds.  While i was cleaning the biggest one i noticed that there was something hard in its belly.  I opened it up and there is the unmistakeable jig with whitefish still on it, along with a red-backed vole (small rodent) hardly digested.  How the burbot got that vole is a mystery to me, but it sure was neat.

Reelinrolly

« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2003, 11:12 PM »
Awesome tales guys....that lab one is something else.  I once was looking down a hole looking at a little perch watching my minnow when all of sudden this huge sturgeon swam by....scared the crap out of me....don't look down holes much anymore...can't imagine having a dog come out of a hole...lol....good stories guys

Offline nocash0000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2003, 04:54 AM »
this is great you guy's got me rollin on the floor.here doggie , doggie
walk the hard water side.

grumpymoe

« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2003, 07:11 AM »
was out fishin with my brother a few years ago and he lost and northern just as he was going to pull it up the hole. anyways he's sitting there rebaiting his hook and dammed if the northern comes shooting straight up the hole and hit the bait-scared the bejeebers out of him but he kept the fish :o :o :o :o

Mr.G

« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2003, 08:20 AM »
My story isn't quite like a bog jumping out of a hole, but quite a few years back I was fishing at Ft. Thompson on the Missouri River here in SD and looked over to find that one of my poles was missing from the ice - obviously a fish had bitten and before I caught it it had pulled my rod under.  Well, probably 30 minutes later I get another bite and tup comes a fish - with my jigging pole.  Kinda amazing.

grumpymoe

« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2003, 11:22 AM »
fished a lake a few years ago where we had a permanently set shack--we came out the following weekend and my buddy and i were sitting patiently waiting for the first bite. all of a sudden he jumped straight up just about whacking his head on the roof and letting out a loud scream. sitting in the hole was a nice fat muskrat like we were intruding on his space. we could not get rid of that rascal  and ended up moving the shack. :o :o :o

grumpymoe

« Reply #20 on: Dec 08, 2003, 02:06 PM »
caught some nice smallies a couple of years ago and we kept them in the livewell for about an hour. i dont generally keep any but my buddy was getting hungry so we went back to camp to clean fish. i left the largest one for last and i had just slabbed one side and heard a rapid flippin sound and out popped a crayfish from the smallie. i told my buddy to take it down to the lake to release it and away it went. food for another day another smallie :P :P

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 08, 2003, 02:46 PM »
This ones not as good as some others but I'll give it a shot. Last year I was out with my dad and my uncle. We were fishing for trout and my uncle gets a decent pickeral on one of his tipups. He eats anything thats not nailed down, so he threw the pick on the ice and kept fishing. A little while later we see a gull circling overhead, but we don't pay too much attention to it. Next time we looked up from out jiggin' hole we see the gull flying overhead with my uncle's pickeral. The fish was bigger then the bird. Boy we had a good laugh when my uncle started screaming and running for the bird. He didn't get the fish back, but his day was ruined.
Tight lines,
           Fishinut

Many are cold, but few are frozen

Many are cold, but few are frozen

missfishylicious

« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2003, 02:55 PM »
this is a true story My hubby is always trying to drag me out onto northlake wich for some unknown reason always has more snow on it than actually falls from the sky in the entire season. so I went a few times and regreted it every time ,lots of excersice no fish so he finally goes by himself so he can set out a line of tipups and really see whats in there so he sets a tip up and walks about 1/4 mile along the shore and sets another one and does this with all five.he waits a while and then comes along to take them up so the first two have nothing on them but he can see the next two are triped and starts running to the third one this is all in 11/2' of snow mind you he gets to the next one and the minnows gone so he takes it up and runs to the next one and the line is bit off so he takes that one up and starts heading for the last one and the truck at this point .just as he gets to the last tipup it goes off he runs over and the line is rippin after about 15 minutes he finally hauls in a nice tigermusky and heads for the truck tired but thrilled with all the action he had .he can't wait to get home and rub it in .so he comes through the door and tells me how the place is teaming with fish and I say it was probubly the same fish to which he says no way it would have had to travel over a mile and a half and I said yep as I gutted it and out pops a live minnow a dead minnow with a hook and line atached and a partly digested minnow all the same size and type he was useing He was speachless I was just supprised the minnow stayed alive for an hours trip home ..at least i know he doesn't make up fish tales ;)

IceWolf

« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2003, 04:11 PM »
Just a small weird tale, I was out fishing for jacks during the day. A buddy and I had about ten tipups out when we got a run of about 3-4 going up, nothing big, I get to my last one to check and it ran all 60' of line off my tip up, knot let lose. I was mad it was my best jack spinner but none the less happy that it did not wrap all our other lines up. About a half hour later the same tipup goes up and I bring up a 4 1/2lb pike with my spinner and 60' of line. Opened him up lots of our bait in him. Greedy bugger!

grumpymoe

« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2003, 04:20 PM »
went out last summer on a guided one day trip--our guide was super--told us a story about a newlywed couple that asked him to take them out fishing. turns out they were on their honeymoon.. the guy was having a blast catching walleye while his new bride was sitting there turning her wedding rings round and round on her finger and moving it back and forth. he could see she was really p  ssed off. all of a sudden he says she dropped the ring into the water. needless to say the fishing day was over. a couple of years later and almost to the day they phoned him and asked if he would take them out fishing. they go back near where they had fished before and were catching walleye for shore lunch. he takes them in to prepare the fish and as he's cleaning them, you'll never guess what happened???? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???--he cut his finger ;D ;D ;D

Offline nocash0000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2003, 04:40 PM »
nice one moe.
walk the hard water side.

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #26 on: Dec 10, 2003, 09:22 PM »
Maybe not a weird one, but a funny one -

We were fishing a little flowage for pike and bass on early ice.  Bill (the Bear) gets a tip-up and starts off to nail the big one.  He makes it about five steps and up-ends.  Arse over teakettle.  Flat on his back.  The kind of slip where you have enough time to realize that "this is really going to hurt" before you hit bottom.  Usually, that's funny enough, but we were fishing on about 2" of ice, and Bear hit hard.  Bear's laying in this perfect halo of spider web cracks in the ice.  Perfect white ring around him.  Being the helpful friends we are, we reminded him that he had a tip-up.  He just laid there going fhhhhhhk it, fhhhhhhk it, fhhhhk it.  It took him about 5 minutes to catch his breath.  It took the rest of us about 10 from laughing so hard.  I still laugh every time I remember it.  Wish the Bear was still around to go fishing with, but I bet the fishing's better up there anyway.

kerosene
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

mooseslayer

« Reply #27 on: Dec 11, 2003, 12:39 AM »
I WAS FISHING LANDLOCK SALMON ON TIP UPS ON A SUNNY DAY WHEN THE ONE CLOSEST POPPED UP.THE REEL WAS GOING LIKE HELL THEN STOPPED.I STARTED TO RETREIVE IT AND COULD SEE THE DEAD BAIT STILL ON THE HOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THE HOLE.SUDDENLY A SALMON STRUCK AT IT BUT MISSED.SO I JIGGED IT A BIT BUT NOTHING.AS I BROUGHT MY LINE JUST TO THE TOP OF THE HOLE TO CHANGE THE BAIT A 15IN SALMON FLEW OUT OF THE HOLE AND LANDED NEAR MY PACK BASKET. SCARED THE HELL OUT OF ME.

TIP-UP_DAD

« Reply #28 on: Dec 11, 2003, 03:05 PM »
A Freind and i went to the lake with both our new ice huts. When we got to the lake the sun started to peek out and it looked like it was going to be another nice day for our bluegill/northern fishing trip. We started getting the gear out when we decided to leave a hut behind due to the nice weather. After strapping the gear down on top of his hut, we started across the lake. This time we decided to goto to the other side of the lake being that was where the action was the day before. After a good 1/2 mile walk with all the gear and checking the lake as we went across, our ice thickness was a good 10" of clear ice most of the time.We stopped and said this would be a great area to fish and set up the hut.About a hour after we started we were catching some nice northerns on tip ups and it was nice out side so we decided to just stay out side the hut. Well not paying attention to the weather and mostly to our tip-ups we noticed the wind had started to pick up some and of course started to move the hut that we didn't anchor. no problem we went over and put most of our gear in it and i drilled a partial hole and left the auger in the hole and anchored the hut to it. a little while later the wind was really starting to blow so i went to check on the huts anchor, being the hut was moving back and forth a little. It was fine. SO I THOUGHT, i turned and went back to my tip ups when all of the sudden the wind had a big gust and there it went sliding across the lake. the auger must have had warmed up around the ice and it chipped a big chunk off the top of the lake and away it went.it got about half way across the lake when it stopped. we both were not close enough to chase it and it still had the powerauger dragging behind. my freind said it wasnt going to hurt to let it go back to the other side. because that was where we had parked the truck .So we let it slowly work its way across the lake. actually laughing our guts out as it made its way across the lake. And At About a 100 ft away from shore the hut come loose from the auger and away it went.Slamming into the thick reeds that were sticking up out of the frozen lake it tumbled like a bowling ball and just ruined the hut. well of course that was it for fishing that day so we headed back to pick up the hut. getting to the hut was a bit of a chore but getting our gear out of the reeds was another. after getting the hut i went out to get the gear when i went thru the ice! WOW! What a reality check, that water was alot colder than one would think! Well fortunetly the waters we fish are mostly shallow hard bottom lakes and i just so happened to only go thru up to my knees, but that was way enough.I went to the truck and my freind went out from the main lake side to get the rest of the gear while i watched him to make sure he didnt go in. All in all it was a real funny experiance at first watching the hut fly across the lake but after that it, it became a strong reminder that anything can happen at any time you dont expect.   Everyone have a great ice fishing season and be carefull.    I'm Ready for hardwater fishing.      

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.