The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: From Wyoming gameand fish  (Read 6334 times)

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
From Wyoming gameand fish
« on: Feb 27, 2019, 07:51 PM »
Make sure you are in attendance of your rods/tip-ups while ice fishing and remember-sleeping in the camper/truck or going to check in a fish during a derby does not constitute attendance.
olefish

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: From Wyoming gameand fish
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2019, 07:38 AM »
I think this is funny when if you read the regulations attendance is being within 300 yards of your tip-ups, guess the new game warden patrolled down around Cheyenne this way and is just bringing that up this way.

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2019, 04:19 PM »
yeap that's how I read and interpret the Wyoming G&F regulation- As long as I'm within 300 feet of my rod or tip=up i'm within the regulation.. Even if I'm sleeping!!!!! ;)
Marvin

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2019, 06:18 PM »
Kind of a grey area of how you look at the attendance and I know they are trying to put it in the regulations about not sleeping and even maybe putting a time limit of how often you check your lines. I like the way it is written now and I think the attendance is just fine if you are out there with your tip ups or rods even if you take a nap and check them as often as you want some times when I am getting flags I go out every hour and check if not every two to four hours and then I usually just drive around them and see if I have a flag I guess one other thing this game warden is saying that if your lines are froze in the morning then you are getting a ticket but when it is below zero lines can freeze in before you even get done chipping the last one but with the hole covers they do not freeze in as bad but still get ice on them so I guess we just need to stand as sportsmen/women and let them know what we think and get clarification on why one game warden can just change the way things are done or written without the proper process.

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2019, 08:07 PM »
sounds like the warden around Boysen is a "Hard- A** " I mean Egg.. LOL   Anyways good luck to all you folks around there as we have no problems up north with the wardens.. Just as long as your within 300 feet you can check them every 4 hours if you want... If I ever got a ticket I would surely go to court if I were within 300 feet of my stuff as the judge would laugh the warden right out of the court room as he has to go off of what the regulations say...….

If they game and fish wants to change the regulations they need to take that up with the Commissioners and the regulations for 2019 are already out.. So not happening this year.......
Marvin

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2019, 10:12 PM »
I stopped leaving lines put all night.   Tired of chipping them out the next morning for maybe a flag or two.
Don

Offline callovthemackinaw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Winter: realm of eternal ice.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2019, 12:01 AM »
sounds like the warden around Boysen is a "Hard- A** " I mean Egg.. LOL   Anyways good luck to all you folks around there as we have no problems up north with the wardens.. Just as long as your within 300 feet you can check them every 4 hours if you want... If I ever got a ticket I would surely go to court if I were within 300 feet of my stuff as the judge would laugh the warden right out of the court room as he has to go off of what the regulations say...….

If they game and fish wants to change the regulations they need to take that up with the Commissioners and the regulations for 2019 are already out.. So not happening this year.......
They all are hardarses.    I detest most wardens in wyoming, especially the ones in the laramie plains area.

Offline Thickerthin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2019, 09:26 AM »
In Wyoming fishing regulations it's 300 yards, not 300 feet from all your lines. I agree that the new game warden is misinterpreting the regulations on attendance.

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish that they are after.

Offline Doz601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2019, 09:41 AM »
They all are hardarses.    I detest most wardens in wyoming, especially the ones in the laramie plains area.
[/quote

I’m going to politely disagree. I have lived her my entire life raised in the hills and on the water. I have yet to have an unpleasant encounter with game and fish. As long as your in compliance. I’ve had wardens walk a half my just to come say hi and check my license/ Minnow slip etc. very pleasant. If your not a jackass neither will they be.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2019, 12:07 PM »
I have only had one bad instance with a game and fish.   Early spring the dog and I we're trolling and they wanted to do a inspection.

A new, as I am sure that's what she was officer was barking orders at me because I was watching my dog and being sure he wasn't going to jump because the water was cold or do something else, instead of getting everything fast enough for her.   Even then it was less than 3 minutes for them to check everything out.

I told her to relax a little and she didn't like that very much.   Never did see her again that year.   There was 3 or 4 on the boat.   

Other than that one time, they have always been kind and pleasant to talk to.
Don

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2019, 12:16 PM »
The 2 times I've encountered F&G officers at the gorge and viva naughton they were very nice. That being said we are always in compliance so they had no beef. I do leave lines down all night in the tent I'm sleeping in and have been awoke by bells more than once. In fact some nights are sleepless if the burbot are hot
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline freeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2019, 03:19 PM »
The game and fish are using their website" ice fishing frequently asked questions" to replace their own fishing regulations. In the regs there is no mention of attendance, it just says you must be within 300 yds of all lines as stated here before and there is no mention of sleeping in your camper or pickup. But on the website "ice fishing FAQ" is where they say sleeping in your camper or pickup does not constitute attendance. They would have no standing trying to enforce a ticket for something not in the regulations.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2019, 03:44 PM »
Variations of interpretation is why we have so many dang lawyers!  :callcops: :unsure: :tipup:

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2019, 03:50 PM »

I'm a fellow Greenie and I disgree with this. I get checked constantly by the wardens in and around the Laramie area and they have always been pleasant and professional. 

As far as putting out tip-ups and going to sleep that shouldn't even be considered fishing. So the fishing regs shouldn't apply- ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 2019, 03:59 PM »
We went round and round with this a month ago. Instead of retyping what I already said Inwill just say that, if I was sleeping in my camper with all tip ups within 300 yards of said camper, and got a ticket, I would be challenging said ticket.

Another feller here who has had nothing but good experiences so far with the Wyoming game and fish. Been checked on the gorge multiple times (usually multiple times a year), Boysen, and ocean lake. My licenses have been in the ready and everything in plain site or an invitation to look through it.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline coldoutside

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 01, 2019, 04:02 PM »
I been checked both hunting and fishing in the Laramie area, no problems. Even called them on the phone for information, very helpful. How many of you would want a job like theirs?

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 01, 2019, 04:16 PM »
The quote I listed above was from the  FAQ as stated by another.  I just wonder whom at the state office is supporting this language?

As fare as wardens go I personally, respect and thank them for a very hard to do job.  I have had a couple times the interaction could have been more friendly but nothing to be to angry over. 
olefish

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 01, 2019, 07:11 PM »
Where did you guys see the info that started this thread?  Please post a link.

ClearCreek

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 01, 2019, 07:50 PM »
olefish

Offline freeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 01, 2019, 10:45 PM »
Olefish is a legend at having the story straight and is right about wardens being there for the sportsman. My uncle retired as a Wyo Game and Fish warden. But some how there is always someone not in the field that gets things crossways and then it creates lots of conversation and then a little peer pressure to carry out their opinion, because that is all it is until it is written in the orders. If it wasn't for the Wyoming Game and Fish and and their field personnel,wardens, biologists etc. we would not have the great opportunities that we have as sportsman. When the legislature put the game and fish under their rule it did not help the situation of fish and game management because now the money spent on wildlife management is controlled by legislatures at there whim.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2019, 11:39 AM »
One other thing to keep in mind about authority figures no matter where they are located or what industry they may be in. It is an uncomfortable feeling to be lumped into a group that violates game & fish laws because we know we haven't done anything wrong, at least we believe we are being law abiding, but mistakes can happen. When mistakes happen they are an honest mistake or misinterpretation of a regulation, not an intentional violation. This is where we become frustrated. Since we feel the authority doesn't realize this, or accept it.

I've only been checked twice since '88 in Wyoming and never in SD or MT. Once in SD I gave a warden, who had been walking checking tags and fish limits, a lift off the ice in my truck back to his vehicle at the access lol. We chatted about the most recent lake trout stockings and he never asked about my license even though I was driving a WY tagged truck on SD ice. I was certain I would have to dig out my licenses, but it never even came up.

Overall, they do a tremendously difficult job protecting our resources from poachers and violators. Some wardens are tougher than others, some are nicer. Some come across fairly gruff and others should be in their marketing department lol. But just as we've had numerous disagreements and opinions on our forums on certain topics, wardens may have a different interpretation, give a ticket or maybe a warning, or just a little talk to someone. We're all different and unique on how we do things. But they do serve a role and should be given that respect. Agreed?  :tipup:

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 02, 2019, 01:24 PM »
I’m going to politely disagree. I have lived her my entire life raised in the hills and on the water. I have yet to have an unpleasant encounter with game and fish. As long as your in compliance. I’ve had wardens walk a half my just to come say hi and check my license/ Minnow slip etc. very pleasant. If your not a jackass neither will they be.

and i also had them wake me up when im camped out by shore at 2 am by fontinelle.      also had them search my car because of my plates, as well as other things I don't care to explain online.   I understand they have a job to do and rules are useless unless enforced, but all i'm gonna say is greenie prejudice is real up there and wyoming makes it known if you are from CO, youre the guest.   I'm definitely not the only one who feels this way because I know plenty of other people who go up there and have gotten effed with, especially around hattie.    Not trying to pitch-a-bxtch because im still going to give wyoming my money for better fishing but im talking realityh.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 02, 2019, 01:32 PM »
One other thing to keep in mind about authority figures no matter where they are located or what industry they may be in. It is an uncomfortable feeling to be lumped into a group that violates game & fish laws because we know we haven't done anything wrong, at least we believe we are being law abiding, but mistakes can happen. When mistakes happen they are an honest mistake or misinterpretation of a regulation, not an intentional violation. This is where we become frustrated. Since we feel the authority doesn't realize this, or accept it.

I've only been checked twice since '88 in Wyoming and never in SD or MT. Once in SD I gave a warden, who had been walking checking tags and fish limits, a lift off the ice in my truck back to his vehicle at the access lol. We chatted about the most recent lake trout stockings and he never asked about my license even though I was driving a WY tagged truck on SD ice. I was certain I would have to dig out my licenses, but it never even came up.

Overall, they do a tremendously difficult job protecting our resources from poachers and violators. Some wardens are tougher than others, some are nicer. Some come across fairly gruff and others should be in their marketing department lol. But just as we've had numerous disagreements and opinions on our forums on certain topics, wardens may have a different interpretation, give a ticket or maybe a warning, or just a little talk to someone. We're all different and unique on how we do things. But they do serve a role and should be given that respect. Agreed?  :tipup:

ill agree.   one hand, i wish CO was as tough as they are with game violations.
i met A carbon county sheriff and a game warden who were friendly as can be at the other end of fetterman rd.   they peeped my cooler, shook my hand and said "great catch" and let me go.     with LEO's in general (because wyoming rangers have more authority than cops) i have a natural mis-trust of them anyways but im always cooperative unless they give me attitude from the beginning.

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #23 on: Mar 02, 2019, 08:56 PM »
and i also had them wake me up when im camped out by shore at 2 am by fontinelle.

This really surprises me. I've spent well over 100 nights out on Fontenelle in the last 15 years. I have never ever had a warden come out there at night. In fact, I haven't seen one durning the day light for years either. I see them up on Viva Naughton once in a while. I see them in the summer as well.
I can't speak for all of the wardens, but our local guys are square shooters. They are friends of mine and I would welcome them at my camp anytime...     :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Mar 03, 2019, 09:14 AM »
and i also had them wake me up when im camped out by shore at 2 am by fontinelle.     

When you have 3 people and a dog camping in a Honda Civic  covered with death metal and skull stickers, I wonder why? ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Doz601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 03, 2019, 04:24 PM »
Ya that would draw some attention

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 04, 2019, 11:09 PM »
When you have 3 people and a dog camping in a Honda Civic  covered with death metal and skull stickers, I wonder why? ;)

was by myself and my civic was sticker free.... nice try though.

youve had run ins with rangers too, so i dont wanna hear it from you mikey.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Mar 05, 2019, 05:09 PM »
was by myself and my civic was sticker free.... nice try though.

youve had run ins with rangers too, so i dont wanna hear it from you mikey.

Bwahahahaha-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #28 on: Mar 05, 2019, 06:08 PM »
Hey, you guys keep this garbage over on the Colorado board!  ;D
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline pesca87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 30, 2019, 04:43 PM »
Most  encounters with wardens have been good for me, polite and respectful. Cant say that for all of them though!! Most of them are lazy as heck! Tired of seeing so much trash, camping trailers in the same spot for months on end, and dont get me started on disrespectful d-bags on jet skis and boaters at the gorge. Its not safe for "bank" anglers or the weekender with kids due to some of the wakes given off by boats going 80 into the coves.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.