The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: The Party’s Over (for now)  (Read 2304 times)

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
The Party’s Over (for now)
« on: Dec 28, 2019, 08:43 AM »
Well that early season blast was great. Had to travel a bit but managed to piece together a few good trips and a great bite. Enjoyed the company of my friends and the challenge of our sport. The ice we were on last night was deteriorating pretty fast. I fear the extended forecast is going to stall the ice for longer than any of us would like.
Stay safe.
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: The Party’s Over (for now)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2019, 05:09 PM »
Not around here. It'll rain and holes will spider out and then it'll freeze up again and we will back at it.

Offline rlusk3030

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2019, 06:15 PM »
My party never even started down here I want a refund!

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2019, 07:44 PM »
Yea we just got marginal ice here in Berks co. A few over brave light weights were out. Hoping for another arctic blast in Jan. Maybe I will be able to get out.

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2019, 04:24 PM »
I hope your right Spider. I’d love to see it hold. I’d also  like to try to fish Thursday if it does .  Happy new year.
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline 4seasonfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2020, 05:17 PM »
I'm calling it, we aren't getting an ice season here in swpa.  Long term forecast is nothing but 40s and 50s.  I've only been ice fishing since the mid 2000s, since then there have been 2 yrs that we have not had safe ice, and 2 yrs where I only got out for 2 days.  Looks like this might be a year with no ice.

Offline gallitzinice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2020, 10:46 AM »
Its looking pretty grim for the places I like to fish: Glendale and Yellow Creek.  I won't go out on less than 4 solid inches.  The 3 month forecast still shows things averaging near to a little below normal, but the much more accurate 3-4 week forecasts show it strongly on the warm side through January.  Guys like to say the forecasters don't know anything, and I wish that was true given the forecasts, but in the 2-3 week range those temperature trends are usually pretty accurate.  There'll be a couple of strings of moderately cold days that will probably get guys back on places like Black Mo here and there, but it looks like that's the best to hope for over the next 2-3 weeks.  History says it will flip eventually and we'll get on, but its going to be a short season.   

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2020, 11:31 AM »
I’m gonna head north here in a few and find some ice. Stay safe fellas.
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2020, 02:37 PM »
Sad to say that I'm sitting in my tree stand now instead of being on ice

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2020, 05:29 PM »
Gonna be a while if it happens at all.  Hope it does.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2020, 06:24 PM »
Sad to say that I'm sitting in my tree stand now instead of being on ice

At least you're in your tree stand, I'm off tomorrow and Saturday and it's supposed to rain both days.  Now that's a kick in the teeth.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2020, 07:56 AM »
I'm seeing a little cold snap next week before warming back up again.  Hoping there's enough ice to at least play around on black mo.  But I'm just hoping for ice by the end of January at this point.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2020, 02:56 PM »
I used to make a trip to PA every year to ice fish.  I don't anymore.  Climate change has made safe ice too much of a hit or miss proposition.  I've also had to move my PA trout fishing trip from May to June to increase my chances of getting fishable water.

Things have changed, whether you want to admit it or not.  And the change hasn't been for the better in my opinion...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2020, 04:43 PM »
I checked a private lake last night and the ice was hinged about three to four feet from shore all the way around.  At this rate it might be time to enact operation dingy. 

Offline 4seasonfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2020, 07:24 PM »
I used to make a trip to PA every year to ice fish.  I don't anymore.  Climate change has made safe ice too much of a hit or miss proposition.  I've also had to move my PA trout fishing trip from May to June to increase my chances of getting fishable water.

Trout fishing in june??  Heck I won't go out for trout after march. October-March is trout season.

Things have changed, whether you want to admit it or not.  And the change hasn't been for the better in my opinion...

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2020, 07:50 PM »

Makes me want to move further north....

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2020, 08:03 PM »
Makes me want to move further north....
Yea we will all have to tag along with builder . Its gonna be crowded up there builder. !!

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2020, 10:12 PM »
Sadly even the forecast for the next two weeks at Mt. Pocono has been revised with many temps warmer than they were. Only positive is the oil burner isn't running as much.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2020, 09:33 AM »
Have to pray to ice gods for a Feb-March deep freeze.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2020, 06:57 PM »
And all chipping in to get a tanker load of liquid nitrogen might not be a bad back-up plan. 

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2020, 07:04 PM »
I'm not wasting time ......the boats coming out...Erie bound......jumbo perch are hitting well. I'll pretend it's
early spring.....can't take it....got a two man limit last week one day....

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2020, 07:47 PM »
I wish I had that option but unfortunately I have this terrible affliction called work.  Around my area the ice isn't safe and there's not much open water except along the shore which isn't enough to fish.   :'( :'( :'( :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.