Author Topic: Lowrance Elite 5 Multiseason Portable Kit  (Read 3759 times)

Offline gillis11

• IceShanty Rookie
Lowrance Elite 5 Multiseason Portable Kit
« on: Feb 08, 2011, 08:40 PM »
I am considering purchasing this unit and I figure it will be a quality unit I just do not know if it will translate to a reliable on ice unit. Does anyone have any input on this item, it would be much appreciated.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lowrance Elite 5 Multiseason Portable Kit
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:27 PM »
  Post a link...never heard of that model.

Jim

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:29 PM »
I run HDS units and they are amazing but havent nor wont put it on the ice, just to expensive to bang around on the ice and have heard power consumptions an issue, however the Elites are a lower unit and a nice one and may work on the ice if you can get it set right.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2011, 10:18 PM »
  Just saw it on Cabela's...  If it was me, I would not spend the $$$ on one.  Don't get me wrong, it probably works great, but its usefullness in Idaho is really limited.  One of the big selling points of this is that it has the gps and can take those lake map cards....  Problem is, that there only a few Idaho lakes that are offered on those cards.  Now, if you were in MN, MI or WI, I would be telling you to jump all over that since nearly every one of their lakes are on the Hot Spot cards.

Jim

Offline gillis11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2011, 10:19 PM »
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lowrance-Elite-5-Multiseason-Portable-Kit/1090347.uts?WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104793480%3Bcat104735880%3Bcat107143380
This is were I found it. My biggest concerns are durability and battery life for the unit. To me this is an expensive unit but the added draw of using it on my boat got my attention as long as it will survive on the ice that is.

Offline gillis11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2011, 10:22 PM »
That was my concern but I am planning on getting a new unit for my boat and thought I would kill two birds with one stone but I want a reliable ice unit as well. It is difficult when making that size of purchase..

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2011, 11:24 PM »

Offline gillis11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2011, 11:45 PM »
Thanks for the input Jim, sounds like the mapchart is virtually useless in Idaho with only a couple being available so it might be a good idea to save some money and get a unit with out the mapcharts. But the idea of getting an all season fish finder is very appealing with such a short season here. Jon

Offline KunaFrmr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2011, 10:07 AM »
I just bought the Lowrance X4 (simple 4 gray scale) for our ice fishing and possibly for use on our smaller boats in the summer.  The cost was $79.99 at Cabelas and I had a $20 coupon from them.  So at $59.99 it seems like it'll do the things I want and that is to get me accurate depth and fish marking capability.  The Gel pack batteries for these things are only $20 and I'm sure they'll run this X4 easily for the entire day (I hope).  I'll know more this Saturday.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:59 PM »
  I totally understand the "one for all seasons."  And the links I posted...both will work in open water with a simple change of transducer.  Last month, one of the humminbirds offered a free boat transducer with the ice model, but I now can't find it....must've expired.

Jim

Offline gillis11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2011, 10:04 PM »
Thanks for the input I think I am gonna give it a try and purchase a back up battery. If I do not like I still have a nice sonar for my boat and ice fishing season will be coming to a close all to soon.

Offline KunaFrmr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2011, 11:40 PM »
Guys, I tried out the X4 that I bought from Cabelas this week at Cascade it worked great.  I put the small gel pack battery, the x4 and the excess transducer cable in a small plastic tackle box.  I took a 30 inch long piece of 1 inch aluminum channel and connected the traducer to it.  I can now rapidly move and check depth and fish activity.  I think it helped us this week since we didn't waste a bunch of time in barren spots.  We did find fish but it was tough to catch anything worthwhile due to the bait stealing dink perch.

Offline gillis11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2011, 02:27 PM »
Glad to here it worked well. I just purchased the hummingbird 383 portable unit and cannot wait to get it on the ice.

Offline Iceflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never be late for. Church, Work, and Fishin.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2011, 09:47 PM »
Gillis11, let me know how the 383 works out.  I think I can mount one of those on the back of my HB Ice 55 flasher.  It would be awesome to have GPS and flasher technology in one unit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.