Author Topic: Trebel Hook size for Pike  (Read 12065 times)

Offline cavecat

• IceShanty Rookie
Trebel Hook size for Pike
« on: Feb 15, 2019, 07:46 AM »
What size Treble Hooks are you using for Pike or are you using a different hook set up?
Thanks!!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Treble Hook size for Pike
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2019, 09:19 AM »
I keep it very, very simple.

#10 Eagle Claw L954. I keep 'em in black nickel and red finish. Been plenty of hook, they're 3x strong, for fish into the mid 40" range (incidental muskies).

I swing deads of the same hook or Daiichi 4x strong in #6.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: Trebel Hook size for Pike
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2019, 09:20 AM »
In the past, I used  a #10 or 12 treble. I now use a #10 Gamagatzu wide gap finesse.  Much better hook sets and most times find their way right to the corner of the mouth...just where I like them. :thumbsup:
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2019, 09:41 AM »
I use #6 and sometimes 4 2x trebles.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2019, 10:31 AM »
I use a single #2 VMC Barbairain hook.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline cavecat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2019, 11:46 AM »
Thank you for your responses. I currently use a #6 trebel hook, but I was thinking about going to a #4 trebel hook so the big Pikes dont swallow the hook.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2019, 11:52 AM »
Switched to singles. Not sure in the size but not too big. Wide gap as well.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2019, 12:29 PM »
Thank you for your responses. I currently use a #6 trebel hook, but I was thinking about going to a #4 trebel hook so the big Pikes dont swallow the hook.

If pike are swallowing your hooks you’re waiting too long to set the hook. Regardless of hook size I’ve never had a pike swallow the hook.

In my experience, there really isn’t a wrong way to do this. Pike don’t seem to give any thought about hook size, leader material/length, or even bait most times. I’ve seen a lot of videos of people using hotdogs. I use large trebles, some use small. Some use quick-strike rigs with 2 trebles. The best thing to do is figure out what works best for you. Size of the bait can play a factor as well.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline cavecat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2019, 04:24 PM »
She hit a huge sucker with #6 hook. I was not far from the tip up and I was there immediately to set the hook. This was the largest Northern I caught at 33 inches. I am trying to avoid a pike from swallowing the hook in the future if possible.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2019, 05:13 PM »
She hit a huge sucker with #6 hook. I was not far from the tip up and I was there immediately to set the hook. This was the largest Northern I caught at 33 inches. I am trying to avoid a pike from swallowing the hook in the future if possible.

My most recent pike was 37" @13# using a 6" sucker on the finesse hook I mentioned above. Couldn't tell you how long it was that she took the bait before I noticed the flag...but it was awhile. Close to 50 yds. of line had ran out before I got there to set the hook...and still hadn't swallowed it. It hit home right in the corner of the mouth.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2019, 05:50 PM »
#6 Owner trebles twisted up on 27# sevenstrand leader yoke style under a Jawjacker. Never had much success with tip-ups so I just get a hook into them from jump and let my

drag and Mr. Stiffy do the work until I can get over there.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2019, 07:47 PM »
If you are releasing them you should use single hooks. Big fish can swallow the hook even if you are sitting near your traps regardless of the type of rigs you are using. I’ve seen them swallow quick strike rigs, trebles, circles etc, and at least half the 40”+ pike and muskie I’ve seen landed were gut hooked. With single hooks you can easily pull the leader through the gill plate towards the tail rotating the hook so you can go in through the mouth, grab the bend of the hook with pliers and pop it right out. I can do this in about 20 seconds. If you gut hook them with a treble or quick strike rig it’s much harder to get the hooks out and if you cut the line they’ll probably die.

Offline cavecat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2019, 08:32 PM »
Thanks guys for all the responses! I always release Pike regardless of size and this lake has a 40 inch minimum. I am going to look at Ice Assin suggestion and a single hook as an option.  I thought going to #4 trebble hook would help, but it looks like that is not a good option.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2019, 08:33 PM »
#6 VMC 9651 trebles for bluegills and large chubs/shiners. For "medium pike shiners" I use a #8 because they are so small. I'd 100% use #4 if I could find baits big enough, I size my hooks more for the size of bait I am using than anything. I couldn't imagine using a #10 for pike though, I feel you would get mostly skin hooked fish inside the mouth...

For non trebles, I use a #2/0 octopus (non circle) sometimes too, specifically if I am in a place where I can't get to the flag real quick... its easier to get deep hooks out when there isn't two more holding it in.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2019, 06:11 AM »
I know you've settled and there's nothing wrong with that choice. My journey toward smaller hooks was driven by how the bait "wears" it. Less hook or other terminal tackle allows bait to swim more freely. Sure, sometimes they fish better with less motion but it's easy to add an anchor.

There is no hook size within reason that can keep fish from taking your offering too deeply. Once had a 38" musky inhale a 6" Reef Hawg. From the bottom it looks like this, note hook size (3/0) and placement:

The whole lure was in it's mouth so far that both the rear and middle treble were in it's gullet. Sadly, after almost two hours of on/in the water surgery and an equal time spent in trying to revive the fish was left belly up (45"minimum size on that lake). Fish was only out of water far enough to work on as long as I could hold my breath, laying the net to rest between removal attempts. Hook cutters could not get to where the hooks were an still be open enough to engage the hook. I was able, after considerable effort, to get the hooks out without disemboweling the fish but the stress was just too much. Never seen anything like that ever but it sure was an eyeopener as to how quickly and deeply a fish can take a lure or bait.

I'm still bothered by the outcome but honestly don't know what might have provided a better end.

Offline cavecat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2019, 07:50 AM »
Thanks Esox, I cut the line close to the hook and released her. She was not bleeding, but I felt bad. Hopefully she lived.

My friend caught a 44 inch Pike in Canada on a Shad Rap and she inhaled the lure. We were trolling in 8' water  for Walleye. He mounted this fish so it was ok.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 16, 2019, 10:37 AM »
Youll be okay. This was in the belly of a pike I cleaned a couple years ago. Thats my hook from earlier in the morning when I got bit off crappie fishing.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline cavecat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2019, 08:03 AM »
Are single hooks as effective with hook sets vs a trebble hooks? I know this is a subjective question.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2019, 08:56 AM »
Are single hooks as effective with hook sets vs a trebble hooks? I know this is a subjective question.

Not completely subjective as there are some things to consider if using a single point hook. In fact there are many places where trebles are not permitted and others, in addition to that also require barbless. Think about that, a single, barbless hook. Might seem compromising in our Wisconsin minds but those folks that have been required to use them think nothing of it. That's the way the fish and they do very well. Perhaps some of our New Hampshire friends (among others) will chip in on this.

Things to consider:

1.   Hook size/gap in relation to bait size, perhaps the most important consideration. If your hook gap is too small the single point can be buried in the bait on the set, if that happens you’ll probably not land that fish. It’s easier with stuff like waxies, spikes or worms but minnows, especially large(r) ones can cause problems. Make sure your hook is large enough to clearly expose the point. This often means using a hook larger than you might think. This applies to rigging that bait as well. Always be thinking about how that hook is going to get into the fish instead of back into the bait.

2.   You’ve only got one chance to hook up. Make sure your hook is sticky sharp. Not a place to take chances.

3.   Look at hook designs intended for that style of fishing. Kahle wide gap hooks are an often overlooked option. Their design offers a wider gap with a physically smaller hook. Might not apply to pike as most of the ones I see are light wire and bend fairly easily.

Other than that, I would not fish or set hooks any differently. I tend to set all hooks sooner rather than later to minimize the prospect of deeply hooked fish. If I get 'em, I get 'em. If not, "drink Coke, play again...".

Offline cavecat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2019, 02:42 PM »
Thanks Esox. I am from Sussex Wisconsin and always use trebel hooks, but I am looking at a single wide Gap hook. I also use large golden shiners or suckers. If I go to a single hook, which size is best?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2019, 04:09 PM »
Thanks Esox. I am from Sussex Wisconsin and always use trebel hooks, but I am looking at a single wide Gap hook. I also use large golden shiners or suckers. If I go to a single hook, which size is best?

Just had a guy in my drive this afternoon delivering some Gamakatsu circle hooks that came from the Amazon drop in Sussex  ;D

As far as your hook size that will all depend on the design of the hook and size of the bait you will be using. If your target is anything but pike I'd roll with a circle hook. If you're thinking specifically pike might just want to go with something else. I know some folks like 'em for pike but I've had mixed results, especially them getting hooked up in places they don't belong (like very deep or in gills).

I still like the Kahle design for minnows and, again, depending on bait size might be as small as an #8 or as large as a #2. With large goldies you'll probably need at least a #4. Because you only have the one hook point you'll not be able to conceal the hook very much at all. If that hook point is not exposed and free to find the fish instead of the bait you'll probably be disappointed.

Still like to hear from some of the folks out east or maybe Canada that must fish single hooks. Their experience would be valuable.

Offline cavecat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2019, 05:54 PM »
Thanks Esox, it looks like you live in my area.
Thanks
Don

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2019, 10:48 PM »
If you are worried that they will swallow the hooks you could always try using a circle hook in like 2/0. they are designed to hook in the corner of the lips. trick with them is to not set the hook like a traditional hook just put tension on the line as the fish is swimming away and the hook will move in such a way that it will catch the side of the lips. if you set like normal you will just pull the whole hook out of their mouth without hooking the lip.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline cavecat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 18, 2019, 01:20 PM »
Thanks.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Feb 18, 2019, 03:42 PM »
If I was targeting pike with a circle hook, I would use a gamakatsu inline octopus circle hook in 6/0. You need to go much larger with circle hooks than you do any other hook. If the bait is too small, then 3/0 but that would be the smallest I would go. Pike have big mouths and are not hook shy. Bigger the hook the better they work for circles. Traditional hooks the thought is use the smallest hook possible, with circles you want to use the biggest possible.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 18, 2019, 03:51 PM »
If I was targeting pike with a circle hook, I would use a gamakatsu inline octopus circle hook in 6/0. You need to go much larger with circle hooks than you do any other hook. If the bait is too small, then 3/0 but that would be the smallest I would go. Pike have big mouths and are not hook shy. Bigger the hook the better they work for circles. Traditional hooks the thought is use the smallest hook possible, with circles you want to use the biggest possible.

:thumbsup:

When I played with circles for pike a long time ago I used Mustad Demon circles. They were super heavy wire so weren't very kind to the bait and slightly offset so I had to "straighten" every one of 'em out before I used 'em. 5/0 was just a bit small and 9/0 was just right for really big minnows (think goldies like your hand). Despite my removing the offset a few always wanted to get hung in bad places, gullet or gills. I figured the line/leader dragging through all those teeth somehow misdirected the line angle and made the point engage before the corner of the mouth.

Offline cavecat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 18, 2019, 09:41 PM »
Thanks again for all your responses and expertise! I may stay with Trebel Hooks if they are more effective than single hooks for tip ups. I dont want to miss a bunch of fish either when I set the hook.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.