The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Live Bait  (Read 2344 times)

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Live Bait
« on: Dec 01, 2007, 09:36 PM »
Since (at least in this part of Montana) we can't use live minnows for bait, any of you guys use other live baits besides worms maggots and waxies? And if you are what are you using and how and where do you get them?
Am I being to direct and touching on a touchy subject? I was wondering about Crayfish, hellgramites, pet shop snakes...........
Anyway what livies are you guys fishing?
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Live Bait
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2007, 02:08 AM »
I don't even know what the rules for using live bait are.  I should check on that.

"Live animals such as meal worms, red worms, night crawler, leeches, maggots, crayfish, reptiles, amphibiants and insects may be used as bait on all waters not restricted to artificial flies and lures." 2007 Montana Fishing Regulations

Live bait can be used on bodies of water designated by the FWP Fishing regulations.

Now I know.

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2007, 02:52 AM »
Not much else around, for sale anyway.
Say does anyone know where to buy spikes(the maggots) and Eurolarva(the colored maggots)?  I used to do really well with them back in MN for panfish. It seems all GF has to offer is plain maggots and waxies.  Though for me nothing matches a perch eye.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2007, 10:18 AM »
Say does anyone know where to buy spikes(the maggots) and Eurolarva(the colored maggots)?  I used to do really well with them back in MN for panfish. It seems all GF has to offer is plain maggots and waxies.  Though for me nothing matches a perch eye.

Hey copperjohn try out this site
http://www.vadosbait.com/bait.html
My husband and I are going to try it out.

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2007, 12:18 PM »
Thanks for the link icechick.
Exactly what I was looking for.
This site rocks!

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2007, 10:52 AM »

Check out the bait shop on central ave west in Great Falls.  It is across the street from Fords Drive-In.  I forget the name of it but the guy usually has a real good selection of bait. 

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2007, 03:03 PM »
Funny.  I was just there this morning looking for blades for my mora.  But was in a rush so forgot about the bait.  "UB Fishing" is the shop's  name.  Seems to be a good guy.  He said Arod's got solid 8-9in ice, but might be half foot of water on top with these winds. 

Offline walleymcjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2007, 02:27 PM »
Check out the bait shop on central ave west in Great Falls.  It is across the street from Fords Drive-In.  I forget the name of it but the guy usually has a real good selection of bait. 

Its Called Ub Fishing.

Offline wallygiggn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • me and buster
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2007, 07:38 PM »
The guys name is Pat at UB, and you can call him up anytime and ask him info on the ice.  Also Joe at sunshine motors has some nice fishing gear and he is always willing to give out any info on the ice reports.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.