Author Topic: How long to make burbot set line sticks?  (Read 3315 times)

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
How long to make burbot set line sticks?
« on: Dec 10, 2018, 11:56 AM »
So I'm going to make some burbot set lines up again this year for when I'm up at the cabin and surrounding area lakes.
Last time I made them I wasn't happy with the lengths I made them.
They worked okay but we only caught small ones.
but I'm a bit worried if I catch something big and it shifts to one side they may need to be a bit longer than I made them last time.
So the plan is to make these out of 1/2 inch PVC pipe.
I'm thinking that should be stout enough.
And I'm just going to wrap them with some braided line in a heavy-duty test.
Typically I put an egg sinker on my line then a swivel then a leader of monofilament and then my hook which will rest on the bottom of course.
on one end I will fold over a piece of duct tape around the PVC where I can write my name and address.
I'm thinking of making them 16" or 18" long.
Cost of PVC is not an issue as that is pretty cheap.
But do you guys think 1/2" PVC is stout enough or should I go with 3/4"?
And is 18" long enough? I don't think there's any way they could pull that down the hole?
What lengths do you guys typically make them and what do you typically make them out of?
Thanks!
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How long to make burbot set line sticks?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2018, 12:26 PM »
I used blocks of 18" 2"x2" and then put screws on both ends to wrap the line around (like old school jig sticks).  I used thick braided line for the main line and then used 100 pound mono for leaders then i can just snap on and off to the main line.  I think wood would be more sturdy then PVC. 
I will never be a "Prostaffer" because I dont pimp products fo free

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2018, 12:44 PM »
PVC has worked well for me in the past.
I'm just thinking that PVC will last a lot longer then wood because it is going to get wet.
I plan to leave these in the shed at the cabin so be nice if they would last several years.
And I'm pretty sure over the length of a 10" hole that the PVC will hold up to even a big burbot.
KasilofChrisN

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2018, 02:13 PM »
Where’s your cabin?  If it’s in the Louise area setlines are illegal just so you know.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2018, 03:25 PM »
Where’s your cabin?  If it’s in the Louise area setlines are illegal just so you know.
Can you tell me what page of the regulations it says that?
I understand I cannot have more hooks than the limit for burbot in the lake I'm fishing. But I don't see how that prohibits a set line.
So for instance on Lake Louise the limit is one burbot so theoretically a person could have one set line with one single hook on it for burbot and no other lines fishing.
Properly marked, proper hook gap, set on the bottom etc.
Lake susitna is two burbot and Crosswinds is five burbot.
I might just have to call ADF&G on that one. Or stop by as they have an office just down the road from me.

KasilofChrisN

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2018, 04:13 PM »
I’d call fish and game but the troopers told me per the regs that setlines are only allowed in drainages of the copper river.  I can’t remember what page it’s on but it is in there.  I personally don’t like setlines and tippups for burbot because I found that I would get more swallowed hooks and end up not being able to release fish.  An automatic fisherman or an alaskansalmon Bear work really well and you don’t get foul hooks.  Also I don’t like leaving lines in overnight.  This is all just my personal opinion on setlines but the reg thing is defiantly true.  I’ve helped the troopers on multiple occasions find setlines and unattended tippups.

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2018, 04:16 PM »
Page 29 of the northern regs
It says lakes and flowing waters.  Not sure if that includes lakes with no outlets/inlets or not.

I would call the trooper up in glenallen since he would be the one who will enforce the regs up there. Believe his name is Josh, he is a pretty nice guy and would let you know how he interprets the regs.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2018, 05:32 PM »
Look on page 29 in the Northern Alaska Regulations. 

Set lines are prohibited in lakes and flowing waters of the Upper Copper/Upper Susitna river drainages, except those water of the Copper River drainage as described on page 30.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2018, 12:01 AM »
I also have plans for some other areas as well.
would like to do some more burbot fishing down here on the Peninsula again this year if I can get out there.
We're going to need some snow first though.lol

KasilofChrisN

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2018, 10:27 AM »
I used to put out some set lines on some of the tributaries running into the big su.  It's completely legal there.  I just used 2 x 4s about 24" long.  But I like your idea of a PVC pipe so that it spins.  I would be curious if it would really spin though because after a few hours the PVC would be froze in.  It has been my experience that burbot don't fight very hard so I don't think you are going to have any problem with the smaller diameter PVC.  I suppose if you get a 20 pounder you might have one break off, but the average burbot is generally 8 pounds or less.

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2018, 11:30 AM »
i like using wood because they will freeze and its much easier to kick a block of wood to break it off the snow/ice. One thing you can do to help the holes from freezing up is to buy the foam interlocking puzzle floor pieces and cut them into 1/4's  Then cut a slit to the center put the set/tip up through the slit so its sitting on top of the foam and then put snow on top of the foam piece it will insulate the hole and generally wont freeze.  We do this and the only time we had a little ice in the hole is when i gets below -30.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2018, 03:17 PM »
I like using spruce bows over the hole and then bury it in snow.  It’s just one less thing I have to drag in the sled.  Also don’t forget to mark your holes with a tall stick so you can find them the next day.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2018, 03:29 PM »
I like using the PVC as it doesn't seem to freeze down too badly.
And yes I I like to think at least for the first while anyway that they can take out a little line and not feel the resistance.
For the most part when I'm burbot fishing if I'm using a set line I'm intending to keep any burbot for dinner so if they swallow a hook it's usually not a big deal.
Usually you're not allowed to set more hooks than whatever the legal limit for burbot is anyway so there's no chance of going over your limit either.
I always go over to the shore and whack off a piece of alder brush or whatever is Handy to Mark the holes.
Let it freeze in good in the slush from making the hole in the first place.
KasilofChrisN

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2018, 08:04 PM »
Setlining was my gateway to ice fishing.  Now that I'm onto jigging burbot I don't do it much, but I'm still fond of it and I still have my kit.  Mine are 16" 1x4s with a ~6" inside radius cut into the ends, stained dark red and sealed.  I use 50lb mono, because it's less likely to freeze onto the stick, and I don't like hand-lining big fish with dacron and braid.  My info is in sharpie under the sealant, which would work perfect if our Dept. of Env didn't give us a new set line license # every year.

I have a 10" flygt, and at the end of the day I wish I would've gone with ~20-22" boards rather than 16".  At 16 bridging 10, I really don't feel comfortable unless I'm using my 18x18 styrofoam hole covers.  The hole covers with snow shovelled over them are extremely effective, I can use the same holes for a cold (-25-40C) 4 day weekend, punching friday afternoon and pulling monday, without having to fight the line getting frozen into the side of the hole.  The downside is the styrofoam.  I have to be committed to being very gentle with them, and even then I always end up with a pocketful of bits of insulation that I've painstakingly picked out of the snow.

It's been said but it bears repeating - don't forget your hole markers!!

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2019, 12:05 AM »
I'm the same as gorf37, and no longer set line for burbot.  I can easily catch far more jigging, and can select the ones I want to keep.

When I was doing it, I used scrap pieces of plywood, 23 inches long, wound with heavy mono, and single hooks baited with pike skin.

Ted

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.