Author Topic: The Marcum update is here!  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Bumski

• Team IceShanty Regular
The Marcum update is here!
« on: Oct 25, 2016, 04:28 PM »

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: The Marcum update is here!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2016, 10:45 AM »
found out they still have two and a half foot missing after this new update that was said by them to have fixed that issue.
http://blog.iceforce.com/news/software-update-improves-marcum-digital-sonar-performance-in-shallow-and-deep-water/

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=334023.msg3539070#msg3539070
mode 1 was ice mode and mode 2 was open water mode, but supposedly some were complaining it shouldn't have an open water mode for ice, but it is an open water sonar also. so they got rid of names for the modes to keep it simple.
the "work around" was to use open water mode for shallow water to see your jig in two and half feet under the ducer. now, it's still two and half feet under the ducer so no fix and just a rename of modes it would appear. not good.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2016, 12:01 PM »
I'm leaning toward agreeing with 3300.  That blog/press release is very vague with the exception of the 2 1/2 feet measurment.  My deep is someone else's shallow.  The lake I fish is 25' to the bottom max.  To many other fishermen, that is just the surface water.  I think they were throwing the terms shallow and deep out to be purposely vague.  I'm not sure I'll do anything to my units until I get some IS member's feedback on the changes.
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2016, 12:53 PM »
Personally, I'm not concerned with the shallow water thing.  The "field of view" at 2.5 ft. is very minimal.  But, I did the update and was out in open water last night - they definitely made some changes in the interference settings.  Way better, for me.

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2016, 01:14 PM »
I updated my LX6, no issues so far. I think the 2.5 feet is reasonable, its a cone, it has to spread and clear ice before it can read, I get it. Plus you can normally see bottom in that depth if you are sight fishing brookies. My problem previously was in 5'-8' of water it wouldnt read anything including depth.
I ran mine off the sofa, things added I noticed just playing for a half hour was ice simulator (thanks!) and a switch for Gain 1 and Gain 2, I am wondering if those are ice settings or open water, and if they affect sensitivity in addition to the other settings, like in a plankton bloom. 3300 will have to give us another lesson on setup for ice.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2016, 01:15 PM »
the missing 2.5' of water is not a big deal for me either. when crappie or any fish are scouting just under the ice you would be hard pressed to have any electronics help see them until it's too late. they are on the move and only stop for food. so having food for them is way more important than a puck for you to use. some one will have the math for us, but i know it's like 2" angle of view for a split second.

the thing is, they said they had the missing water issue fixed last year and it's still missing with the new firmware. i was hoping it wouldn't be missing, but was asking myself how will they remove the surface clutter that often accompanies it that renders that space useless anyway. being digital, i thought they could do it, but it hasn't happened, yet.

if your afraid to update your firmware, then have the old firmware handy if you don't like what it does for you. i have copies of all three sonars if any one wants a copy of it.
i will be installing it when it's out for the lx9 for sure. any improvement is always welcomed, but saying some thing is fixed and it's not is not welcomed.

Offline dab65

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2016, 01:12 AM »
I also did the update. When I tried the simulator mode in ice mode all I saw was one line that went from top of the screen to the bottom like a jig dropping and then it disappeared. Blackdog does yours actually show something on the screen in simulator mode?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2016, 10:16 AM »
try adjusting your settings while in simulator mode.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2016, 08:46 AM »
It looks like when in simulator mode, the sensitive and target adjust do nothing to the marks on the screen. . The zoom will do it's thing though.

Offline dab65

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2016, 04:03 AM »
Thanks I will have to mess around with it again when I get a chance.

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2016, 03:26 AM »
Yeah if you tweak the settings in ice simulator mode, it just cycles like a jig dropping, a fish coming up, and bamm reel up to top, nothing fancy but thats ok, it cycle pretty fast. If you run it in flasher mode you can see the depth to set the vertical zoom at, which is 24'. I dont think you can do much in ice mode other than set up your displays, I couldnt see any change if I vary the sensitivity or gain, will have to try it off a dock I guess.

Offline prosty41

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2016, 09:32 AM »
Heading out tomorrow for the first time but I'm torn on doing this update or not. I dont fish the area just below the ice so I don't care about that. But I'm also not looking to add a bunch of clutter. Is the update good or not. Also it says you need USB 2. Obviously USB 1 cannot be used but what about USB 3?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2016, 09:58 AM »
usb 3 is fine. usb 1 is not. usb 3 is backward compatible. it's just faster. your drivers in your pc will use the right version when you plug in your device(s) for you. plug n pray they call it ;)
you should use the update. it helps on the return gain and no clutter.
if you want the old file your using i can email it.
heres some info on it
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=337681.0

Offline prosty41

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2016, 11:50 AM »
Cool thanks

Offline prosty41

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2016, 11:55 AM »
Cool thanks