Author Topic: Can some one please tell me why a Vexilar is better then Marcum  (Read 14058 times)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Can some one please tell me why a Vexilar is better then Marcum
« Reply #60 on: Jan 14, 2014, 11:02 AM »
Would be more like a 1989 F150 for $40,000 or a 2014 loaded silverado for $30,000. One has the brand name of the best selling in the industry, other is packed full of useful features.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #61 on: Jan 14, 2014, 12:41 PM »
Some pretty ignorant posts in this thread, as per the usual they all come from one side and most of them are coming from the same usual suspects.

"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Jan 14, 2014, 02:01 PM »
Some pretty ignorant posts in this thread, as per the usual they all come from one side and most of them are coming from the same usual suspects.

you talking about that article that is regularly posted about marcums having too much power and it scares away the fish? Yeah i know, right!?

Offline Carl.j.o

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 14, 2014, 04:53 PM »
Would be more like a 1989 F150 for $40,000 or a 2014 loaded silverado for $30,000. One has the brand name of the best selling in the industry, other is packed full of useful features.

Tushay !
What it comes down to is
Marcum: crammed full of features and slightly cheaper to buy depending on the unit . lx6 7 9 are all 3 in one which is good for "me" cause that's what I wanted as I only use tge graph 99 percent of the time . Not that flashers are bad just what I like. Downside is technology as we all know can but not always have bugs and such not

Vexilar: age tested dependability and well come on the pro pack and genz pak are a awesome setup

Both to me are great I have used both and had equal success with both and would recomend both

I like my lx6 cause it fits my needs and hey someone said they have great customer service so "if" or "when" I need it I have it.  :roflmao:
 Ford all the way but I would drive a chevy

FLAG!!!

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
« Reply #64 on: Jan 16, 2014, 09:07 AM »
you talking about that article that is regularly posted about marcums having too much power and it scares away the fish? Yeah i know, right!?

I've seen the article before and thought it was interesting. I honestly don't care what kind of flasher anyone has. They all work and none of them pay me to talk up there company. I'm sorry if the article hit some sensitive spots for you and can remove it at your request.

Offline packers

• IceShanty Rookie
  • insufficient funz
« Reply #65 on: Jan 16, 2014, 10:30 AM »
Marcums suck

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Jan 16, 2014, 11:39 AM »
Marcums suck

Actually a good thing my Marcum LX-5 scares away fish because was using up so much bait (frozen shiners cut in half) as it was ... caught over 30 walleye of all sizes in a 1.5 hour period the other afternoon and that doesn't include the ones I missed or that just stole the bait! Evil, evil Marcum!
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Jan 16, 2014, 12:31 PM »
 ;Dto be fair in the back & forth....Vex suck >:D

it's 6 of one,half a dozen of the other. it all depends on what you want when you see them up close & what the salesman is pushing at the time. I've owned both & like both, although my current favorite is the LX5.

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Jan 16, 2014, 12:50 PM »
I am able to use my underpowered, overpriced, and outdated Vexilar to catch as many fish as I want. 

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Jan 16, 2014, 02:23 PM »
Marcums suck

;Dto be fair in the back & forth....Vex suck >:D

This is the end result of virtually every thread dealing with flashers. :cookoo:

Offline bobby1772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Jan 16, 2014, 05:12 PM »
kevin 23 if vexilar sucks so horribly bad then why would you try to buy an fl -18 in the for sale section on ice shanty? just curious you so dead set on proving them wrong are you trying to get some hands on experience so your not just talking the talk?

Offline moneypit2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 16, 2014, 05:28 PM »
he was prolly gonna resell it..vex is ok but once you go marcum i would never downgrade to a vex and i have used all of them

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Jan 17, 2014, 09:36 AM »
I would have bought it in a heartbeat, and resold it to double my money...

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Jan 17, 2014, 10:28 AM »
kevin 23 if vexilar sucks so horribly bad then why would you try to buy an fl -18 in the for sale section on ice shanty? just curious you so dead set on proving them wrong are you trying to get some hands on experience so your not just talking the talk?

i'm not sure how many brain cells is necessary to figure this out.

stealing the above chevy/ford comparison.

if i'm a chevy guy and it costs me 40k for a new chevy but someone is going to sell me a similar featured out ford for 20k, you would have to mental capacity of a sack of potatoes to not buy it. 

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #74 on: Jan 17, 2014, 10:41 AM »
hahahahaahahahahaaha

use the two yourself and decide

me, i like my fl-18, that fact is there isn't a flasher on the market that will put more fish in your shanty...but there certainly are more expensive ones....

oh yeah, and good luck using that fancy lx7 display outside

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:01 AM »
hahahahaahahahahaaha

use the two yourself and decide

oh yeah, and good luck using that fancy lx7 display outside

Mine works perfect outside even with my polorized glasses on....Next myth?

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #76 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:04 AM »
REALLY?   Thats interesting.  fontana19 must have got a bum unit, cause neither he nor I can see his display outside of his shanty...and thats not even on a sunny day!  (how much are the lx-7's again? $699?)

Offline cylegreen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:19 AM »
I've got a basic, single-beam 5.6 Marcum Showdown.  I like the vertical fishing column.  I got a used unit for $250.  I catch a lot more fish with it than without it....without any flasher.  I don't often fish with Vex or Hummingbird guys, so I can't say I know the difference.  Just from owning my Showdown, and really liking it, I call myself a Marcum-guy....until proven otherwise.....and I'm a vulnerable person, so it could happen.
My gear:

Marcum LX-9
Otter XT Cabin
Frabill Bunker 310
10" Eskimo propane HC40

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:32 AM »
REALLY?   Thats interesting.  fontana19 must have got a bum unit, cause neither he nor I can see his display outside of his shanty...and thats not even on a sunny day!  (how much are the lx-7's again? $699?)

Little hint TURN UP THE BACKLIGHT

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Jan 17, 2014, 12:09 PM »
I like them all.  Noticed the  OP had his 1st and only post and got the usual subject stirred up and  hasn't came back with a reply.

Offline cobra_sleds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Jan 17, 2014, 12:12 PM »
Marcums suck

This is my favorite post!! I don't think he meant any harm, just stirring the pot to show how ridiculous this thread has gotten.

I'm sorry, but really? Then someone has to attack Ford in this thread too.

Lets get some bait, pick up some beer (with my Ford) and do some walleye fishing (with my Vex)!! ;D
“The problem with self-improvement is knowing when to quit.”

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #81 on: Jan 17, 2014, 12:51 PM »

Because I was going to sell it locally for $100-$150 profit.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #82 on: Jan 17, 2014, 01:14 PM »
Had the LX7 side by side with my FLX-28 last sunday and all I'm going to say is I'm happy with my choice, I had less interference, picked up bottom huggers better and we both agreed mine had a finer display. We were fishing on a steep drop and my flasher only lost 6 inches of the bottom, the lx7 lost about 12". I only used 20% battery where as he used over 50%. So keep chirping about what your flasher box says, having actually compared both at the same time and knowing what I know now after doing a real life comparison I'm just going to let all the know-it-alls keep hashing it out over the internet. I'll make a video comparison one day this winter when we're having a slow day in the shack.

I just picked up an LX5 for my neighbor and set it up for him, it works really well, but to say they are any better than the competitions comparable units would simply be stretching the truth. I was a hardcore humminbird fan and was planning on picking up a marcum this year before the FLX-28 came out(didn't care much for the older Vexs), thus far I have zero regrets having gone with the vex instead.

Happy fishing this weekend, today will be approximately my FLX-28s 25th trip out and I should chalk up another 3 days use on it over the weekend. It's been my best season ever so I'm pretty content with my new gear. The flasher brand debate is getting so annoying, learn how to read any sonar properly and it will catch you plenty of fish. They all work really well.. except for showdowns. Tell me all about that grey bar you marked, haha.  :P :P

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Jan 17, 2014, 02:46 PM »
Had the LX7 side by side with my FLX-28 last sunday and all I'm going to say is I'm happy with my choice, I had less interference, picked up bottom huggers better and we both agreed mine had a finer display. We were fishing on a steep drop and my flasher only lost 6 inches of the bottom, the lx7 lost about 12". I only used 20% battery where as he used over 50%. So keep chirping about what your flasher box says, having actually compared both at the same time and knowing what I know now after doing a real life comparison I'm just going to let all the know-it-alls keep hashing it out over the internet. I'll make a video comparison one day this winter when we're having a slow day in the shack.

I just picked up an LX5 for my neighbor and set it up for him, it works really well, but to say they are any better than the competitions comparable units would simply be stretching the truth. I was a hardcore humminbird fan and was planning on picking up a marcum this year before the FLX-28 came out(didn't care much for the older Vexs), thus far I have zero regrets having gone with the vex instead.

Happy fishing this weekend, today will be approximately my FLX-28s 25th trip out and I should chalk up another 3 days use on it over the weekend. It's been my best season ever so I'm pretty content with my new gear. The flasher brand debate is getting so annoying, learn how to read any sonar properly and it will catch you plenty of fish. They all work really well.. except for showdowns. Tell me all about that grey bar you marked, haha.  :P :P

How do you know the guy with the 7 used 50% of his battery? As you stated know your unit, looks like neither of you know the 7 if you used half the battery...Fully charged battery will get you over 2 full days fishing....I still have yet to see what the 28 will do that my LX-7's havent been able to do...

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #84 on: Jan 17, 2014, 03:16 PM »
Two full days my butt, I'm the one that told him to buy the LX7 in the first place(we're best buddies, share a shack) because our local store was out of Hbird 55s and its always needed to be charged after each use since day one. Not to mention the first charger they sent him didn't even work, they did have him a new one in about 10 days though. Maybe its had a crap battery from day one? I doubt it, more like actually having to use the back light and screen warmer will run down your battery faster. Our fishing days are 12 hours+ and our weather is cold.

I never said the vex did anything the marcum didnt, in fact, they both marked the same fish *gasp*, but I'm not buying the whole Marcum is king because of what the box says argument.

Once again, I have nothing against them.. hence why I set one friend up with a 5 and one with a 7, I know they work well. But to say they are THE BEST?.. Ehhh, that will be a never ending debate.

Just posting my comparison from the weekend, feel free to write up your own.  :tipup:

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Jan 17, 2014, 03:40 PM »

The flasher brand debate is getting so annoying, learn how to read any sonar properly and it will catch you plenty of fish. They all work really well.. except for showdowns. Tell me all about that grey bar you marked, haha.  :P :P

How does one conclude that their Vexilar picks up bottom huggers better, had less interference, and had a better lock on the bottom display?

There are many variables,equipment type and settings that come into play here.  Gain, type of transducer used, cone setting, spot location etc.  I hardly call a single outing without any valid science data or proof that the sonar your using is better.

In part if you think you have the better sonar, then you do.  You have the better sonar for you.  Not for others...

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #86 on: Jan 17, 2014, 03:43 PM »

How does one conclude that their Vexilar picks up bottom huggers better, had less interference, and had a better lock on the bottom display?

There are many variables,equipment type and settings that come into play here.  Gain, type of transducer used, cone setting, spot location etc.  I hardly call a single outing without any valid science data or proof that the sonar your using is better.

In part if you think you have the better sonar, then you do.  You have the better sonar for you.  Not for others...

Really ?  did you read where he said he compared them SIDE BY SIDE?   Thats how I compare things when I want a fair and objective comparison...  how do you do it ?

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #87 on: Jan 17, 2014, 03:53 PM »

While I do completely agree with you that different flashers may suit different people better(hence the debate that will not die on this forum), this was a side by side comparison.

My flasher had ZERO interference(I didnt even have to adjust, auto is amazing), we could not completely tune it out on his no matter which setting we tried(in the end we had it where it wasnt an annoyance).

I had slightly less dead zone on the steep rocky bottom, hence how I could see a bottom hugger before he did. Target separation was no better on the LX7.

This was just my personal experience, I dont hold myself to any brand.. If I felt the marcum would do a better job for me, I would already have it. Look up past posts from me and you will see I was pro humminbird until this season. The truth is, all the big 3 make great units and if I was given any one of them at no cost to me I would run it in a heartbeat.

Numbers will only get you so far.

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Jan 17, 2014, 04:17 PM »
While I do completely agree with you that different flashers may suit different people better(hence the debate that will not die on this forum), this was a side by side comparison.

My flasher had ZERO interference(I didnt even have to adjust, auto is amazing), we could not completely tune it out on his no matter which setting we tried(in the end we had it where it wasnt an annoyance).

I had slightly less dead zone on the steep rocky bottom, hence how I could see a bottom hugger before he did. Target separation was no better on the LX7.

This was just my personal experience, I dont hold myself to any brand.. If I felt the marcum would do a better job for me, I would already have it. Look up past posts from me and you will see I was pro humminbird until this season. The truth is, all the big 3 make great units and if I was given any one of them at no cost to me I would run it in a heartbeat.

Numbers will only get you so far.

Like you said it was your own personal experience.  Others may differ with different results.  Im glad you found the flasher for you.  Good day fishing...

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
« Reply #89 on: Jan 17, 2014, 04:27 PM »
I like them all.  Noticed the  OP had his 1st and only post and got the usual subject stirred up and  hasn't came back with a reply.

I seen that to, I also noticed that some people always have something negative to say to get it stirred up more no matter what the topic is. It funny that you noticed that though.lol 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.