Author Topic: Can some one please tell me why a Vexilar is better then Marcum  (Read 14057 times)

Offline icewolf12

• IceShanty Rookie
Hi all
Just joined forum because I am looking for some educated information.........

I have been looking to purchase a flasher for the upcoming season and I have narrowed it down to The vexular fl-20 and the lx-5 marcum. Now I have read many of the posts on here and to be truth full I'm pretty sure the Marcum is hands down the better unit. But what has me confused is that so many members seem to love their vexs and that ratio seems to be vex 2:1 marcum ratio. In reading all the posts the one big issue that has scared me away from Vexilar is the fact that in water less then 10 feet the vexs seem to lose target recognition (your lure that is). Now I'm not trying to bash any maker I'm just trying to figure out which unit is better so please don't take offence to any of this post but isn't the point of a flasher to locate your jig and fish? 

Please every ones feedback would be appreciated

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
OH MAN!!!  :o :o :o

Now you gone and done it!  ::) ::) ::)

I estimate at least 5 pages worth of opinions on this one!

Offline ADKLakerTaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
well your vex should have a lp setting, i believe fl-18 and over haqve this lp(low power) which allows you to use in shallow water

Hard tell'n, not know'n

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Marcum does not need a LP mode to use in shallow water, also has better IR, better seperation, finer crisper lines, no extra add on's to buy true zoom not a blown up image, most have zoom anywhere in the water colum not just the bottom few feet....

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity

WS

Offline jayfk

• IceShanty Rookie
Find someone or a store who has a vex and marcum. Get a little hands on and go from there. I have a h-bird 55 and got a lx 7 this year. The bird is great for flasher display, zoom, and multi color options. The lx 7 sold me on the ability to update firmware for free and the digital display. Like you, I read all the post but in the end personal preference was the deciding factor. Everyone has an opinion about best brand but ultimately you have to decide.

I know what your going through as I along woth many went through the same dilema. Bottom line, any flasher is better than no flasher!

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
until recently macum had little to no advertising or marketing... They have stepped it up in recent years and are getting a much bigger following! Vex has always had a great advertising and marketing dept that why there are so many more vex units out there. I have owned both but now only own marcums because they are so far beyond the vex. More power, better target separation, better features, ect
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
A lot of people use vex's because they have been around for 30 years. A lot of people are afraid to try something new, so they bash marcum and stick with their vexilars.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Know nothing about Marcum, do know that I love my vex. :tipup: :icefish: :icefish:

Offline catfishcalvin

• IceShanty Rookie
Just bought my first flasher this winter.  Went with the FL12. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I usually fish ponds in 6-12 ft of water with no issues.

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline bassbull

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Can some one please tell me why a Vexilar is better then Marcum
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2014, 03:57 PM »
I ice fish about 90 to 100 days a year. From being around a lot of differant style flashers, its Marcum all the way. I own a L-5  and just can't say enough good things about it and customer service. Good luck  STEVE

Offline Scooby31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2014, 04:02 PM »
I have only owned vexilar with the 18 being my newest one I have never had any problems with them you just need to learn how to use it. I'm sure marcum is a good product  but it's like the fords vs Chevy debate

Offline icefishdoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2014, 05:25 PM »
love my vex,never fails to mark a fish...toast's my bagel and keeps my coffee hot.. :o :o :o

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2014, 05:27 PM »
I am funny. I buy what I see works and well, I had a vex for a very long time.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline carpslayer93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2014, 05:42 PM »
I've had my fl8 for 15yrs and have caught hundreds of fish! Not one problem with it!! My buddy has the lx7 and he loves it! I've used it a couple times and it's a great unit,but as far as mobility I like the vex since its more compact! Just my two cents!
Tight lines...fish on!!

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2014, 07:57 PM »
yes they will all work just fine... BUT when the price for an apples to apples comparison is the same why not buy the unit with more power, better target separation, and better features? Marcum blows the rest out of the water when you actual forget the brand and simply look at the issues that make a flasher a flasher.

If you were in the market for a new truck wouldn't you buy the one with more power, better gas milage, and a better ride or would you buy the one with less power, ok ride, and worse gas mileage but for the same price?

Offline haydo601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2014, 07:07 PM »
I've had a Fl-8 for years and loved it, just recently bought the flx-28 and again I love it! Buddy has the lx-7 and haven't heard him say one bad thing about it. Personally I think it comes down to personal preference, good luck

Offline burningdownthehouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2014, 07:13 PM »
I can only speak to Vexilars because that is all I have ever owned.

I started with an FL-8...good flasher but lacking bottom lock feature. I upgraded to the FL-20 a few years back. Well, I went for a bath last year (four wheeler, shanty and all gear in 20 FOW) and fried the FL-20...or so I thought. On a whim I contacted the company and was honest with them about what had happened. I was shocked when it seemed like I called a "mom and pop" store when the phone rang on their end. The customer service guy was pleasant, he knew the product inside and out, and he talked me through my options. I sent it to them and he provided an estimate for repairs (about $125). I will always fish with my Vexilar because it is a great product and they have good people working for them right here in the USA!!

Offline Murph20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2014, 07:14 PM »
All those " better features" that marcum" has" are the ones that tend to fail...Get a vex

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2014, 08:26 PM »
And what are these features that fail???? Also Vex is made in Japan and distributed from MN in the USA, but Marcums are made in MN int the USA....

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2014, 05:19 AM »
And what are these features that fail???? Also Vex is made in Japan and distributed from MN in the USA, but Marcums are made in MN int the USA....

He doesn't know, hes never owned one to find out, hes just brand loyal and wont look at the fact. . I have owned both vex and Marcum and its not even close, once you own or fish with a Marcum you wont want another vex again.

Offline Shouldabeenhereyesterday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2014, 06:26 PM »
I have only owned vexilar with the 18 being my newest one I have never had any problems with them you just need to learn how to use it. I'm sure marcum is a good product  but it's like the fords vs Chevy debate

Love my vex and will always drive a ford...neither has EVER let me down!

Offline bumper3054

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2014, 06:33 PM »
I have been using vex for over 20yrs with no problems and I have owned several models. I have a friend that uses a marcum lx7 and it has been sent in for repair twice this year.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2014, 01:54 PM »
All those " better features" that marcum" has" are the ones that tend to fail...Get a vex

the best and most funny post in this thread.  thanks fro that.

that and the people comparing their mechanical flasher to an lcd unit. 

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2014, 04:44 PM »
Why does Marcum have so many issues with their products? There's way too many threads on this site about having to send in their units to be repaired. They may be a good unit but they're the most undependable of the big three. The guys that still own them had to go thru hell to get them and keep them running properly, yet they say their units are great. I'd rather have a more dependable unit and not worry when i'll have to update it or send it in for repairs and not have it for a complete ice season. Way too much money to spend for a headache of a product. If you've got the money to invest in one, well, it's your choice. Just stateing some facts here from what i've been reading over the last few seasons.

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI

Offline BassOn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 11, 2014, 06:29 PM »
Marcum does not need a LP mode to use in shallow water, also has better IR, better seperation, finer crisper lines, no extra add on's to buy true zoom not a blown up image, most have zoom anywhere in the water colum not just the bottom few feet....
esox said it all...i have buddys with vexs and hummingbird and they think its the cats meow...i just laugh and take my marcum out of the sled.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 11, 2014, 06:44 PM »
http://www.fishexplorer.com/articles.asp?action=det&aid=29

nate zelinsky a member of ice team prefers vexilar!? lol. thats the silliest article that been around for some time.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 11, 2014, 06:47 PM »
Why does Marcum have so many issues with their products? There's way too many threads on this site about having to send in their units to be repaired. They may be a good unit but they're the most undependable of the big three. The guys that still own them had to go thru hell to get them and keep them running properly, yet they say their units are great. I'd rather have a more dependable unit and not worry when i'll have to update it or send it in for repairs and not have it for a complete ice season. Way too much money to spend for a headache of a product. If you've got the money to invest in one, well, it's your choice. Just stateing some facts here from what i've been reading over the last few seasons.

you are comparing apples to oranges.  a software driven lcd unit to a box of spinning brushes.  ive seen just as many vex issues as ive seen bird or marcum mechanical flasher issues on a few forums.   just look at their tribeam disaster.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.