Author Topic: What flasher with $400  (Read 14379 times)

Offline Phish

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: What flasher with $400
« Reply #30 on: Jan 13, 2013, 10:07 PM »
1fast,

Sorry for derailing your post.   Take a look at the all brands and decide what your needs are, and then go from there.   Maybe you could find some people who have each brand and you can see them first hand on the ice.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Jan 13, 2013, 10:12 PM »
I miss the flex light on my ultra pack, but that's about it. ;)

Good riddance to the rest of it.

Hey Skip, I think I remember you having a vx-1p... you can mount a flex light to the opposite corner of where your transducer holder is mounted on the base. Its a trick to get it all to fit in the soft pack, but its possible.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 13, 2013, 10:15 PM »

Was is  jumpy or not?   No agenda here.........just posting what I read.   Skipper said that marcum are the least jumpy units on the market......just backing what I saw on the marcum  I tried, since he didn't seem to believe what I observed. 

And please.....agenda??????  Pot calling the kettle black

Yes was at first untill the update was out then solved that issue... as stated a few posts up rock solid and simply amazing, everyone thats fished beside it so far are all impressed no matter the brand they own and several went to the 7 this year selling their Vex's ad HB units...I have used or owned all the top end units and all the mid range units out there, nothing comes close to what the 7 will do, I thought my 5 was the best but it has now been replaced by the 7... BTW nothing matched my LX-5 either.......

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 13, 2013, 10:41 PM »
I get it now too after using both brands. The zoom on the Marcum is so detailed and crisp/ separation between fish is great and dropping jig to the bottom and raising it up you see your jig right away. The zoom on the vex is different. It is like having the same display as regular just blown way up separation is no better school is a blob line and it takes 6" to 12" to lift your jig to finally see it off bottom... That kind of dead space is crazy when paying as much as you do for a unit. Shouldn't have to guess or look for the bottom to flicker to see a fish moving in...with the lx5 you see the fish on bottom and individual fish in school and size of the targets... Pretty simple to choose a unit now... BTW first Marcum I ever used is the one I bought a few weeks ago after researching and watching video and talking to guys that use it. Wish I would have gotten it last year before buying fl-20...
Fishin red lines

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 13, 2013, 10:45 PM »
The guy has a 400 dollar budget. Why is this an lx7 thread? Oh yeah, because of Mr Esox. You should really start your own lx7 thread since that's all you talk about. People are getting real sick of it. We get it, you think Marcums are top of the line. And you can't compare any mechanical flasher to a digital one. That's like comparing VHS and DVDs.

For 400 dollars tops I would say a Humminbird 35 or 45. They have a lot of features and are an excellent flasher for a first time flasher owner. Really easy to use also. You won't be disappointed.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Jan 13, 2013, 10:49 PM »
People are getting real sick of it. We get it, you think Marcums are top of the line.

You shouldn't speak for others, its not a good habit.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 13, 2013, 10:57 PM »
Humminbird makes a good unit as well at least you get some options for your money and it isn't add on after add on. With the 45 you get dual beam and lcd readout, 45 dollar rebate too. The vx-1 pro is $250 at fleet farm right now comes with soft pack and face shield for that price...
Fishin red lines

Offline ckfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 13, 2013, 11:00 PM »
I got the vx-1 pro as my first unit because its so cheap and had a lot of good reviews. I have no complaints, I love it. This being said, I have never used a vexilar or humminbird so I can't speak for them. All I know is you will probably be happy with any flasher.

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 13, 2013, 11:12 PM »
If I had a $400 budget I would buy a $300 finder, you have good options in the Lowrance X4, Humminbird 345c and ICE 35, and Marcum VX-1.  Then the remaining $100 could go to any additional ice gear you might need.  This is just my .02,  but I will never spend more than $300 on a finder when the above option's are available.   

Offline Hard Water Maniacs

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Learn what you can, but teach what you know!"
« Reply #39 on: Jan 14, 2013, 03:33 AM »
If I had to give you advice on a flasher, I'd say go with Vexilar. There is a reason the company has been around since the 80's and is still going strong. They also have the best customer service out there as, believe it or not, they are actually a very small company and care about their customers. I used to pro staff for Marcum and I wouldn't suggest their units, especially since they are now owned by Rapala. Their customer service is terrible. Humminbird makes a pretty good unit and I haven't heard very many bad reviews on their stuff.

I wouldn't ask advice on a public forum if you can help it. All you will get is bickering, testosterone hosing, and smoke blowing. We fish for a living and have seen all of this a million times.

Check the reviews, do your research. Whoever you decide to go with, shoot me a PM and I can give you the direct contact for them.

Good luck!
H.W.M.  Youth Mentoring Director
Team Extreme Ice Circuit/ Wisconsin Director
Frabill Pro Staff
K&E Stopper Pro 
Jaw Jacker Pro 
ION Pro Staff
HT Pro Staff
Vexilar Promoter
U.S.A. Ice Team qualifier

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 14, 2013, 06:19 AM »
Did you really just say MarCums customer service is bad because Rapala bought them? MarCum is one of the few companies out there willing to bend over backwards for their customers. I have never once heard anyone condemn their customer service until you. Please let us know your experience with their customer service, I'm betting you just lied.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #41 on: Jan 14, 2013, 06:30 AM »
 funny stuff , i have used just about every unit out there except the lx7 and 9 but a bud has a 7 and i will check it out , right now i own Vex and Lowrance units and they work just fine , my advice is look around do some research and check with some buds that have units and make up your own mind , what unit fits your needs

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #42 on: Jan 14, 2013, 06:32 AM »
Did you really just say MarCums customer service is bad because Rapala bought them? MarCum is one of the few companies out there willing to bend over backwards for their customers. I have never once heard anyone condemn their customer service until you. Please let us know your experience with their customer service, I'm betting you just lied.

my understanding they are just doing the marking for marcum , that started last April

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 14, 2013, 06:35 AM »
If i were you i would look at the Fl18 by Vexilar. Its a great unit, built to last. Also the bird 385ci is a unit i am currently looking at. A bit pricey but with GPS lake master map plus flasher. It almost sounds to good to be true. Mandy knows her stuff.  I would listen.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:14 AM »
So I come to the experts to lead me in the right direction.

So did us "experts" help you out or did you walk away wondering what the he!! did I just start........ :roflmao:.  In a nut shell, all of the unit's mentioned in this thread will do a wonderful job in getting you into fish but some....as in Vexilar  >:D... will have you over pay to accomplish that.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:59 AM »
Lmao totally agree.  ;D simple alot of unit and options, high quality,superior crisp display Marcum, pay the same for vex or more fl18. Fixed bottom zoom (not true zoom) blob lines and you still have to buy soft pack.... Humminbird will give you more features also.
Fishin red lines

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #46 on: Jan 14, 2013, 10:12 AM »
I don't know but all of this is making my blackberry smoke! I own a lx3 and a fl18 and I don't think you could go wrong either way. Good luck! We really need some ice fellas!
Fish on!

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 14, 2013, 11:22 AM »
Elite-4 DSI  @)
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline bigbuckmiddaugh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 14, 2013, 11:30 AM »
there is a lx-5 in classifieds..360.00 shipped...not sure how good of deal it is, but just letting you know

sometimes i look at it this way, going to dump 400, add another 1-200 and get a lot more unit too
But sometimes is the KISS method works best too  ;D

Just buy the one you WANT...only live once!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 14, 2013, 06:08 PM »
If I had to give you advice on a flasher, I'd say go with Vexilar. There is a reason the company has been around since the 80's and is still going strong. They also have the best customer service out there as, believe it or not, they are actually a very small company and care about their customers. I used to pro staff for Marcum and I wouldn't suggest their units, especially since they are now owned by Rapala. Their customer service is terrible. Humminbird makes a pretty good unit and I haven't heard very many bad reviews on their stuff.

I wouldn't ask advice on a public forum if you can help it. All you will get is bickering, testosterone hosing, and smoke blowing. We fish for a living and have seen all of this a million times.

Check the reviews, do your research. Whoever you decide to go with, shoot me a PM and I can give you the direct contact for them.

Do please check your facts before posting, Marcum has a marketing agreement with Rapala. Marcum is still owned and made in MN by Versa Electronics...

Good luck!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 14, 2013, 06:10 PM »
The guy has a 400 dollar budget. Why is this an lx7 thread? Oh yeah, because of Mr Esox. You should really start your own lx7 thread since that's all you talk about. People are getting real sick of it. We get it, you think Marcums are top of the line. And you can't compare any mechanical flasher to a digital one. That's like comparing VHS and DVDs.

For 400 dollars tops I would say a Humminbird 35 or 45. They have a lot of features and are an excellent flasher for a first time flasher owner. Really easy to use also. You won't be disappointed.

Had you read the therad it was started by someone else not me about the 7... challenge is up anytime you want to see for yourself name the time and place..., Looser cleans the fish so sharpen your knife....

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Jan 14, 2013, 06:16 PM »
 ;D
Fishin red lines

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:36 PM »
i would look for a lx3 or ice 45....the fl18 is a little more expensive than either of those with a little less feature wise but is still also a decent unit.

Offline Hard Water Maniacs

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Learn what you can, but teach what you know!"
« Reply #53 on: Jan 14, 2013, 09:05 PM »
If i were you i would look at the Fl18 by Vexilar. Its a great unit, built to last. Also the bird 385ci is a unit i am currently looking at. A bit pricey but with GPS lake master map plus flasher. It almost sounds to good to be true. Mandy knows her stuff.  I would listen.

Not sure who you are, but thank you very much..I do my homework that's for sure. All i can do is share my personal experience, that's why i cant say anything about hummingbird, i have heard good things about the ice-45, and i could tell you the features cause i studied them, but i have never personally used one so its hard to make a suggestion, yah or nah in regards to a product i have never used. ~Mandy
H.W.M.  Youth Mentoring Director
Team Extreme Ice Circuit/ Wisconsin Director
Frabill Pro Staff
K&E Stopper Pro 
Jaw Jacker Pro 
ION Pro Staff
HT Pro Staff
Vexilar Promoter
U.S.A. Ice Team qualifier

Offline fishingabomb2006

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Jan 14, 2013, 09:09 PM »
ice 45 if you only got 400 to spend! its a great unit, not much lost from the 55, but i still love my 55!
Team Goldfish 55 :-D :-D
lifetime jigging goals:
gill-done; perch-done; crappie- done; bass- done; carp-done; catfish-done, splake-done; rainbow-done; brookie- done; pike- done; pickeral-done (29inch6.5lb); white fish-done;  laker-  ;cusk-  ;salmon-  ;walleye-

Offline johnlaw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 14, 2013, 09:21 PM »
Take your $400.00 and watch Craig's list for a used LX5. Awesome machine with customer service to back it up. I have had a lot of flashers from all brands, best bang for the buck was Marcum LX5. I recently switched to an LX7, it is sweet but it s like going from a camero to a vette, both are faster than you need.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Jan 14, 2013, 09:51 PM »
Take your $400.00 and watch Craig's list for a used LX5. Awesome machine with customer service to back it up. I have had a lot of flashers from all brands, best bang for the buck was Marcum LX5. I recently switched to an LX7, it is sweet but it s like going from a camero to a vette, both are faster than you need.
This is good advice. I sold my fl-20 and bought an lx-5 best upgrade ever.
Fishin red lines

Offline johnlaw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Jan 14, 2013, 09:55 PM »
This is good advice. I sold my fl-20 and bought an lx-5 best upgrade ever.

That's how I got to the LX5, sold an fl20. With the LX5 you will probably never need customer service.

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:48 AM »
Thank you everyone for your help. I have a friend with a Marcum and another with a Vexilar and I was leaning towards the Marcum already. I think I may stay with that mindset for the time being and go see what they have at Gander Mountain this afternoon.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Jan 15, 2013, 08:21 AM »
You won't regret that decision... If your cap is 400 I would take a serious look at the showdown 5.6. It is 349.99 at reeds gander should price match. You get a $79 rebate worth of rapalla gear in tackle back. The 1/2 inch target separation would be great on the unit. It doesn't have color but the line thickness is your guide to fish, lure, bait fish. If not wanting to go ovr budget this would be a good choice along with the vx-1. lx-3tc might put you over but have seen it at fleet farm for 350 near end of season. Good luck
Fishin red lines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.