Author Topic: Vexilar rebuttal to the Lx-7?  (Read 11100 times)

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Vexilar rebuttal to the Lx-7?
« Reply #60 on: Mar 02, 2012, 06:24 PM »
I have only fished with a 55 once, not many here have them, the few friends I have that got one have sold or traded them off for something else...Wasnt impressed with the 55 nor is it's owner since he uses his LX-5 or 7 most of the time....All I can base my experiences from is what my eyes tell me we are seeing swim by not soley on what the units tell us....Having used all the units currently on the market I can honestly say non come close to the 7 or 5 IMO.... everyone has their own opinion and are entitled to it....

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Mar 02, 2012, 06:27 PM »
Thank you and this sums up my entire point.  There are those chimming in that another brands seperation is just as good and others disagree with this.

My point from the start................. ......this is a preference or opinion based argument not a more fish on the ice argument.  Funny how things come full circle. 

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Mar 02, 2012, 06:39 PM »
To many variables to say 1 unit can put more fish on the ice as another, only way to find out is to use them in a controlled enviroment and thats about impossible to controll the fish, do my Marcums put more fish on the ice than my Vex's did, yes they do and I owned Vex's alot longer than I have owned Marcums....The 7 is by far the easiest to read and operate IMO of all the units I have owned....

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #63 on: Mar 02, 2012, 06:55 PM »
Thank you and this sums up my entire point.  There are those chimming in that another brands seperation is just as good and others disagree with this.

My point from the start................. ......this is a preference or opinion based argument not a more fish on the ice argument.  Funny how things come full circle.

Will it help you catch more fish? maybe, but not a large enough amount to notice. The big picture is that its either has the options yourr willing to pay for or it dont.  I could be driving a new truck, but the 96 I have gets me where I want to go for a fraction of the price. I could fish with an old lowrance green box and prolly catch just as many fish as I do now, but I prefer the options the 7 has over the old stuff. BAsically it boils down to what YOU want. I personally dont care if the guy fishing next to me thinks I need a 7, I want one so I have one. This season has been a joke as far as ice goes. I have used my troller  fro 90 % of my time on the ice. The rest of the time my LX3's ,5's and 7 have sat idle. Guess what, I caught just as many fish as the guys around me with the other units.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #64 on: Mar 02, 2012, 07:01 PM »
We are simply not getting to the point here.

I pour through the vex vs bird vs marcum threads.  They are tiring to be quite honest and I rarely, if ever, read them anymore.  It has become the Ford vs Chevy battle over and over.  Guess what, if 1/2 the people swear by vex and 1/2 the people swear by marcum................ ....................wa it for it.................... ...they are probably both really damn good machines.  So, it boils down to user preference as opposed to quality or which will put more fish on the ice.

I wonder if those standing behind you fall in love because of the flashing lights or because they think it will truly put more fish on the ice than their current flasher.  Let's face it, the Lx7 looks very cool and I think I may fall in love at first sight.  BUT I say...............why will it put more fish on the ice, other than the zoom feature this question has been dodged.  I am not sure if the 4 line point is a good one as most dont fish with 4 lines (as a matter of fact that many lines is illegal in some states).

So tell me what my Ice 55 (or the vex fl series with zoom, brand matters not here) does not have that the Lx7 does that will put more fish on the ice.  Ice 55 has fully adjustable zoom, same power output, has no issue fishing deep water and picking up bait.

I think the point here is most everything boils down to preference and peoples expendable income (for example your preference to use verticle mode to fish the bottom).  I have read many threads where people prefer standard zoom mode to vertical mode (preference).  Trust me if I were rich I would have a new flasher every year just cuz. 

Again, not arguing or trying to cause a war here, simply looking for things beyond individual preference.

There is nothing different in the way any of the top name finders will put fish on the ice. They all work and the only real difference is the fact that the LX-7 has more user defined configuration options and can display different screens for the anglers personal preference. This customizability (if that's even a word) enables the individual fisherman/woman to design a screen that suits their fishing style.

All of the standard flashers show the same thing in the same way while finders like the LX-7 or Lowrance ice machine let you pick how you want  your version of the underwater world displayed.

This may give the angler more confidence and as such may put more fish on the ice.

Remember not all anglers like the traditional flasher circle. Some like the bar graph approach ala Showdown and some like the traditional gragh display. Then there are those that like a combination. The LX-7 gives you the choice of what you see on screen.

It's all personal preference and the ability to mold the machine into something that each individual angler is comfortable with.

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #65 on: Mar 04, 2012, 08:43 AM »
i have a vex fl 20 and lx 7  ( i the one bml was talking about dropping it)   i lx 7 but it has durability issues    when it was working i preferred to use it over the vex were i let bml use my vex till i broke the marcum
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Mar 04, 2012, 01:59 PM »
The durability issues might be the only thing keeping me from a lx-7. :-\

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Mar 04, 2012, 06:13 PM »
Facts are simple....the LX7 wont put anymore fish on the ice than any other flasher....I OWN all three of the top end flashers, Fl22,ice55,and Lx7. the lx7 is not any better.

I've heard this exact same sentiment from a few other guys who OWNED OR HAVE EXTENSIVELY USED flashers from each manufacturer.  I'm not talking about "I used it once" or "I have this buddy who..." kind of statements.  I hold their opinions and analysis to a higher degree then the one sided comments and opinions like many of the posters in this discussion.

Fact of the matter is, any good fisherman who is well versed with flasher operation, can operate any flasher and use it to catch fish.  This concept of "the best overall" or "the best period" is laughable.  It's what works best for each person and which flasher that has the options each angler would benefit from the most.

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #68 on: Mar 05, 2012, 06:07 AM »
yea the lx-7 is a sweet ,machine but its deffimitly a fragile machine. i hope they get that fixed cause then nothing could beat it imo.

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Mar 05, 2012, 06:48 AM »
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I've never been a fan of putting too much capability or technology into a single unit.  It's like putting all your eggs in one basket.  I'd rather have a separate flasher and separate handheld GPS.  I think there is less to go wrong and if the technology for one is improved (which happens every year) you can upgrade for less and not have an unit that's obsolete. 
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Mar 05, 2012, 07:10 AM »
When you use Unit A you will only get 10 fish to bite. When you use A LX7 you get 100 fish to bite. BullShi-----. You may show more tiny details on the screen but you will not hook any more. Catching is all in the person and presentation.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

surflizard

« Reply #71 on: Mar 05, 2012, 07:51 AM »
  With all the different opinions on this subject, we can go round and round on it till we are all blue in the face ! To save an argument, like Stumpers says, it all boils down to personal Preference, If you want to run an Marcum LX-7, by all means got get one ! I you decide for whatever reason that it is not the unit for you, then by all mean, go get the one you are most comfortable with ! No one is being forced to use one brand or the other, the reason I went with the LX-7 is because I like having the ability to pick and choose which screen configuration works best for me and so far it has made a huge difference on the ice for me !! Just my Honest Opinion !

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #72 on: Mar 05, 2012, 09:02 AM »
  With all the different opinions on this subject, we can go round and round on it till we are all blue in the face ! To save an argument, like Stumpers says, it all boils down to personal Preference, If you want to run an Marcum LX-7, by all means got get one ! I you decide for whatever reason that it is not the unit for you, then by all mean, go get the one you are most comfortable with ! No one is being forced to use one brand or the other, the reason I went with the LX-7 is because I like having the ability to pick and choose which screen configuration works best for me and so far it has made a huge difference on the ice for me !! Just my Honest Opinion !

I dont think anybody was bashing your flasher, just the statement that they put more fish on the ice.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline yukon_guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Mar 05, 2012, 09:16 AM »
A significant factor in my flasher choice was maximum depth. Having recently pulled some nice fish out of 285fow I'm glad my unit works to 300'. Beans excellent summary is out of date, the new FL20 does 300', the LX5 160', and I'm sure someone is dying to tell us what the LX 7 does.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #74 on: Mar 05, 2012, 10:59 AM »
A significant factor in my flasher choice was maximum depth. Having recently pulled some nice fish out of 285fow I'm glad my unit works to 300'. Beans excellent summary is out of date, the new FL20 does 300', the LX5 160', and I'm sure someone is dying to tell us what the LX 7 does.

LX-7 is 300'

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Mar 05, 2012, 12:46 PM »
and the fl20 does it with half the power!  :P :P :P :P

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
« Reply #76 on: Mar 05, 2012, 02:28 PM »
LMAO!!! Funny how these topics turn sour and it is the same people bashing the same equipment...  If vex came out with with a new unit i would probably order it because i trust they would sell what they advertised and i personally think they are way better made than other flashers\fishfinders and for the ice that is what counts  i will say i got the double vision at the beginning of the year and put some serious fish on the ice in the short time we had and it took all the abuse i had to give it...
FISH ON

Offline PFUNK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Mar 06, 2012, 12:32 AM »
Seperation is what the rest lack....You don't notice it untill you use one with better seperation, 1/2" or 3/4" is alot better than 2.5" or 2.68", argue all you want it doesn't matter but only after you use a unit with 1/2-3/4" seperation....Allows you to seperate fish in a school, picks up bottom huggers better so in essence it will increase your catch due to you seeing more fish....Units with 2.5" seperation will miss fish that are tight or almost tight to the bottom, have seen it many times....We use these units side by side in gin clear water allowing us to see for a fact what swims by and what unit picks them up and what doesn't...Would you be surprised your unit will miss a 3 pound eye swimming directly below you? You should be since 9 times out of 10 it won't mark them, the LX5-7 9 out of 10 will.....

Nope... Not buying this one at all. I will be the first to admit that the LX7 has some things i wish my sonar had, but i will put my bird 385 to the test against this statement any time. Put your lx7 against the bird 385 and i guarantee it doesnt pick up 80% more of bottom hugging fish. I can pick up a vertical jigging spoon by lifting it off the bottom by an inch and a half. Please dont rebut by stating my target seperation is 2.5" or something like that. I dont care about paper specs... I care about on ice performance. I do this over harder bottoms all the time. You gotta have it dialed in right but i know i dont miss 9 out of 10 bottom hugging walleyes... Unless the walleyes down there are flattened like flounders... In which case they might sneak through.  ;D In all seriousness, the lx7 is not quite as groundbreaking as the ads would like you to believe... Ask anyone with a decent graphing sonar that they're using on the ice. The features it does have that most graphs dont are good interferance rejection and tight cone angles more suited for ice fishing. You can use the 3 views on one screen if you want, but i dont see that as being extremely innovative.  Plain old graph or bottom zoom works just fine for me. Its certainly a sweet unit, but not worth the extra money to upgrade from where I am at now.

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #78 on: Mar 06, 2012, 03:25 AM »
Nope... Not buying this one at all. I will be the first to admit that the LX7 has some things i wish my sonar had, but i will put my bird 385 to the test against this statement any time. Put your lx7 against the bird 385 and i guarantee it doesnt pick up 80% more of bottom hugging fish. I can pick up a vertical jigging spoon by lifting it off the bottom by an inch and a half. Please dont rebut by stating my target seperation is 2.5" or something like that. I dont care about paper specs... I care about on ice performance. I do this over harder bottoms all the time. You gotta have it dialed in right but i know i dont miss 9 out of 10 bottom hugging walleyes... Unless the walleyes down there are flattened like flounders... In which case they might sneak through.  ;D In all seriousness, the lx7 is not quite as groundbreaking as the ads would like you to believe... Ask anyone with a decent graphing sonar that they're using on the ice. The features it does have that most graphs dont are good interferance rejection and tight cone angles more suited for ice fishing. You can use the 3 views on one screen if you want, but i dont see that as being extremely innovative.  Plain old graph or bottom zoom works just fine for me. Its certainly a sweet unit, but not worth the extra money to upgrade from where I am at now.

I have to agree.  I'm pretty sure all less priced graphing ice units sold a ton after Marcum said it was good.  Hate to say it but i sold my marcum and bought an x-67c after everybody became so enamored with the 7's ability to graph.  Woulda felt like a fool but sold my 3 for 25 less than I paid for it 2 yrs ago and picked up an 67c for 212.50 delivered.   Put $67.50 in my pocket and got a new unit.  Won't look back now at a mechanical flasher.  I got in while the gettin was good.  I can all but gaurantee i or anybody else couldn't pull that off next yr.......  so life is good for the eyestroker.  Got an old skimmer for open water that works on it too.  Nice!  Still think sooner than later vex will be left by the wayside when more guys figure out the graph is the way to go and can be had  for a song if one so chooses.
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #79 on: Mar 06, 2012, 06:46 AM »
It won't take vex much effort to compete with the LX7, they already have a digital unit so it wouldn't require as much development as marcum needed. Doesn't really matter to me, I have a HB and have no problems with it. I do have a FL-18 that may get upgraded eventually to a HB back up (or upgrade  ;D). I agree with the statement that the 7 isn't really innovative at all, just has more gadgets on it, don't I remember the marcum guys clucking about vex's "gadgets" before this unit came out  ???.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Mar 06, 2012, 11:08 AM »
If people want bells and whistles on their locator, they can always pay less money to get them with other brands.

fixed that for you.

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Mar 06, 2012, 11:49 PM »
Honest question here: Are any other brands/units software upgrade-able like the LX-7? Quick download from the internet, and plug it in to your computer.

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #82 on: Mar 07, 2012, 08:24 AM »
It's not a new concept, just new to marcum users. My HB has been updated since I got it a few years ago. I haven't owned either but I bet Lowrance and Garmins are as well.

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Mar 07, 2012, 12:59 PM »
It's not a new concept, just new to marcum users. My HB has been updated since I got it a few years ago. I haven't owned either but I bet Lowrance and Garmins are as well.

Lowrance has been update-able for better than 10 years on their open water units.

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Mar 12, 2012, 01:21 PM »
My main intent in starting this thread was to see if anyone had heard rumors coming from Vex.

I'm sure some vex employees are on this website... just figured that they might try to make a new high priced unit to try and match the lx-7.  Guess nobody knows.  All speculation here ;D

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #85 on: Apr 06, 2012, 11:27 PM »
Got a fl20 and fl22 like them both but thinking about getting lx 7 so I can catch more than 80 keepers a day always looking for something better hoping we get better ice this year . I love new toys and wondering how tough those lx 7 are but im buying one anyway because if it breaks I will always bring a back up Please let me know how tough those lx 7are
Never to many short poles

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #86 on: Apr 15, 2012, 07:42 PM »
Hmmm... can't really argue there.

I was more thinking the bigger screen... LCD screen.  Rather than just the normal round display (lx-5, fl-20, etc) 

I think the bigger screen, that has multiple displays... is in general a better concept.  Sure some will still prefer the circular dial of the older units... but as I'm getting older I can appreciate the larger screen and the crisp and clear display.

I can't help but think that vexilar will come out with a similar unit with a larger screen, very much like the lx-7.  Time will tell.
  i agree i have seen all the new stuff but why have something show you the same thing 2 different ways at the same time just curios , the 7 is a nice deal 

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #87 on: Apr 16, 2012, 07:34 AM »
  i agree i have seen all the new stuff but why have something show you the same thing 2 different ways at the same time just curios , the 7 is a nice deal
Just different "perspectives"  You (well maybe not you) might miss something on a graph while the flasher mode or vertical zoom window might show it to you.  Just my perspective from using the LX7.  I'd like to see Vex come out with a completive unit.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #88 on: Apr 21, 2012, 05:54 PM »
Just different "perspectives"  You (well maybe not you) might miss something on a graph while the flasher mode or vertical zoom window might show it to you.  Just my perspective from using the LX7.  I'd like to see Vex come out with a completive unit.

i think at this point vex has to make a small leap , and that is why we use the graph mode ,a little memory goes a long ways  ;)

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #89 on: Apr 22, 2012, 04:49 AM »
i think at this point vex has to make a small leap , and that is why we use the graph mode ,a little memory goes a long ways  ;)
More memory is always a good thing.  :roflmao:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.