Author Topic: Marcum Showdown Advice  (Read 4256 times)

Offline Garnet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep the lines tight and the flags high.
Marcum Showdown Advice
« on: Oct 10, 2011, 09:37 PM »
hey, was looking at flashers a lot lately, looking for the holidays, and like the idea behind the vertical screen of the showdown, anyone use them?  looking for reviews and maybe a pic/video of one that can show me what they're all about.  i've never used a flasher before and this looks like a dumbed down one that even i may be able to use.

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: The Showdown
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2011, 09:48 PM »
http://www.showdownfishfinder.com/

There are plenty of threads on this topic, but above is a link to their website which contains some videos.  I bought one a few years ago and love it.  I also love my old Zercom Colorpoint Flasher.  Bottom line is they both work.  The only advice I could give is find something you like and run with it.  You'll catch more fish for sure.

Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

surflizard

Re: The Showdown
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2011, 05:13 AM »
Hey Garnet
  I got some shots of my Troller while I was on a big school of Perch, in the first pic, the dark bar at 14' is a Perch grabbing my buckshot spoon. the rest of the marks are other Perch in the school ! The second pic is a lot of those same Perch on my side of the ice roughly an Hour later !  :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline smokeater

• IceShanty Rookie
Marcum Showdown Advice
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2011, 11:51 AM »
   I am looking at purchasing a Marcum Showdown  does anyone have any pros or cons on this unit thanks in advance

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Marcum Showdown Advice
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2011, 04:12 PM »
I've had one for several years and really love it.  Everyone who has used it likes it as well.  It seems the diehard flasher fans will argue against it, but I think it's a Ford v. Chevy sort of thing.  A little friendly rivalry is a good thing. 
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2011, 07:36 PM »
Showdown is a great unit, and will do what most people need it to do. The only thing I dont like about them is that its B&W, its harder for me to see the size of the fish and where its located (edge of the reading or right under the hole) with the grayscale. Very easy to see with multi-color units. If the showdown came in color I would really consider getting one to use along side my vx-1P
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Garnet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2011, 07:41 PM »
sounds like a suggestion you could tell them about it.  good idea.  the way this showdown sounds it's a flasher for dummies, which btw i need.  so it looks like a go ahead for me.  but i placed 5th in the contest today, so no money, no system.  gotta start saving for it.  on another note, i know that the vexlars shoot through the ice, anyone know if the showdown does?

surflizard

« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2011, 07:54 PM »
Yes it does, a lot of them do, just a splash of water and set the puck in it and instant depth reading, but the ice has to be fairly clear or none of them will read right.

Offline pocono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2011, 08:11 PM »
I bought one two years ago and fished with my buddy next to me.  I felt guilty catching most of the fish so i just let him use it in his hole.  He had to go out and buy one last year.  I bought a troller just in case some of my other friends come along, they can have fun with it and I can just keep fishing.  You can't go wrong with the unit.  Having both units I would stay with the one with the zoom.  It  cost more but is well worth it.

Offline Garnet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2011, 09:34 PM »
saw in the fine print that the troller has a 2" separation instead of the 1/2", does it make that much of a difference?

surflizard

« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2011, 06:01 AM »
I fished side by side with friend who had the dual beam, we both saw the same fish marks, but his zoom picked up the fish that were hugging the bottom better ! But I do alot of runnin and Gunnin and having the troller on the neck lanyard and the ducer and cable in my pocket is just so much faster and easier for me ! I did get the performance pack so I have both 12 volt and DBL AA battery options, it protects it during transport and holds the troller when I'm stationary !

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2011, 05:39 AM »
I bought a troller.  I have not fished with a full size showdown.  My troller is awesome for the price.  yes it could use a zoom feature but for 200.00 it is the best flasher on the market by far.  the black and white screen is no big deal.  I saw someone say that they have trouble telling what size the fish is.  it tells you what you need to know where your lure is and if there is a fish in the area and what depth.  Really do you want it to hook it for you also.  i caught many walleyes with my troller last year and found the target seperation fine.  never missed one coming through.  I would love the zoom feature on it and debating on a fullsize showdown or a bird 345, or a vx1 for my next one to keep in my shanty.

Offline buddlakemusky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2011, 01:38 AM »
got a ice troller last winter. work pretty good for the money. help me find fish with first flasher ever. would recommend it!

Offline Garnet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 20, 2011, 08:35 AM »
what your guys use it for most, finding visible fish or checking depths?

surflizard

« Reply #14 on: Oct 20, 2011, 12:03 PM »
Both ! I locate a structure or depth change on a bathy map and start punching holes, the missus follows with the Troller and shoots each hole. She marks a plus sign in the snow next to the hole with her boot if she marks fish and a minus if she doesn't. when I'm done drilling she gives me depths and numbers of active holes, this systems saves us a lot of time by locating the active fish and avoiding unproductive areas !

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 20, 2011, 12:12 PM »
Both ! I locate a structure or depth change on a bathy map and start punching holes, the missus follows with the Troller and shoots each hole. She marks a plus sign in the snow next to the hole with her boot if she marks fish and a minus if she doesn't. when I'm done drilling she gives me depths and numbers of active holes, this systems saves us a lot of time by locating the active fish and avoiding unproductive areas !
(Image removed from quote.)

Now that's teamwork!!!

surflizard

« Reply #16 on: Oct 20, 2011, 12:31 PM »
If I don't get her on fish, I hear about it till I do !!  :woot: :icefish: :roflmao:

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 20, 2011, 12:40 PM »
I have two of the full size showdowns, going on four seasons, they work very well even on the most bitter cold nights when we fish for walleye and crappies. I had the 5.6 upgrade done on the oldest unit, works just like a new unit. Very easy to use and the vertical screen is easy to relate to the water column, the zoom feature works well when you get over a school. My first suggestion is to trade out the two amp fuse for a three or five amp fuse, they tend to blow when you charge the battery. Second, the transducer arm sucks, get a float or loop the cable through the handle on the case, I wish they made a transducer with a 4' cable. Overall I wouldn't trade them for anything else.

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 20, 2011, 01:09 PM »
I have two of the full size showdowns, going on four seasons, they work very well even on the most bitter cold nights when we fish for walleye and crappies. I had the 5.6 upgrade done on the oldest unit, works just like a new unit. Very easy to use and the vertical screen is easy to relate to the water column, the zoom feature works well when you get over a school. My first suggestion is to trade out the two amp fuse for a three or five amp fuse, they tend to blow when you charge the battery. Second, the transducer arm sucks, get a float or loop the cable through the handle on the case, I wish they made a transducer with a 4' cable. Overall I wouldn't trade them for anything else.

Thanks for the tips eiderz.  I just got my 5.6 last week - can't wait to try it!!

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 20, 2011, 05:20 PM »
Love the showdown, and people I have taken with me that have never ice fished understand what they are looking at.  THey could not figure out my Vex circle flasher...
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline Garnet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 20, 2011, 05:51 PM »
really want one of these, but if i get one my wife would stone be for spend $300.   do they sell these refurbished at all anyone know?

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 20, 2011, 06:57 PM »
Take the stoning like a man, get the showdown. ;D  How hard can a girl throw anyway?

Offline Garnet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 20, 2011, 07:25 PM »
well, i'll put it to you this way....one day when we were dating i tickled her and she knocked out 2 teeth

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 20, 2011, 07:33 PM »
well, i'll put it to you this way....one day when we were dating i tickled her and she knocked out 2 teeth
Then you musta hit the right spot ;)2

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #24 on: Oct 20, 2011, 09:57 PM »
I can guarantee you won't find  a "refurbished" Showdown anywhere. Look on the C list if you can't afford new.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.