Author Topic: Solar chargers  (Read 495 times)

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
Solar chargers
« on: Jan 30, 2011, 12:50 PM »
anyone know of a solar charger so that a person can keep charging a sonar while in use out on the ice..or is that even possible? Just a little surprised that no company has come out with one yet.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Solar chargers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2011, 07:16 PM »
If you want to recharge a big 12 volt battery you need a fair size array. I have helped alot of anglers set up systems for trolling motor batteries... They need alot of amps. If it is to keep your battery topped off for your sonar, that's not to bad. You should (if you are in a fishing a shanty) be able to hook up your PV (solar) panels to your battery, while you are fishing and depending on sun light and the size of your panel, your battery may not go down at all. They are not cheap, but they will work.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: Solar chargers
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2011, 07:21 PM »
According to specs, most sonars use about 4-500 mA while turned on, some a wee bit more if the light is on.  Your average 15 watt panel that measures about 1 foot x 3 feet will just maintain the battery at that level and the cost around $100+ if you find one on sale.  It's much easier and cheaper to have a 12V 9amp gell cell and take it home to recharge overnight.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.