Author Topic: flasher vs. camera  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Mr.Sodus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks
flasher vs. camera
« on: Jan 12, 2011, 02:41 PM »
Guys,
I have always been old school tip-ups. With all this new technology, I am intrigued by the accuracy of the new electronics that you all speak so highly of.
Which is better; a flasher unit or a camera viewer? They seem to cost about the same, perform admirably in the cold and look slick.
But, which really WORKS better? I would be using them deep water for trout jigging, shallow for pannies, etc.
Thanks in advance!!!
Hey Charlie, the kid's got one on over here...

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: flasher vs. camera
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2011, 02:45 PM »
Flasher all the way,I have a low end Fl-8 VEX best ice money I ever spent.If your fishing stained water,you'll never see a fish with a camera.

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2011, 03:37 PM »
I've got both. 

I drag the camera out a couple times a season just for the fun of it.  It is fun to watch the fish but the water has to be clear, you need plenty of ambient light.  The lights on the camera are a joke in my opinion.

I will not go fishing without my flasher.

Q

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2011, 04:05 PM »
I have both and they each have a purpose.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline wngnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2011, 04:44 PM »
  A flasher is probably the most practicle but the camera is the only way you will really know what is going on when the fish swims up to your bait.

Offline Shovel74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2011, 04:51 PM »
I fish with a flasher, and would not leave home without it.  I do not own a camera, but one of the things I see that may be a problem, is set up.  I drill several holes before i drop a line, and check each one by dipping my transducer in.  I think this would be a bit of a hassle, especially in deeper water, with a camera.  Also with a camera you do not see the entire water column.  Like I said, I have never fished with a camera, so I may be wrong.  I would like to fish with a camera, just to watch how fish react to my jig.  

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2011, 05:26 PM »
Flasher all the way. Watch your rod tip and line. Forget the camera
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline South33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tips Down! Flags Up!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2011, 05:29 PM »
Flasher 100%. A camera is good for passing time but it all depends on the water clarity. A flasher works all the time and doesn't miss a fish.

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2011, 05:32 PM »
Flasher 1st

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2011, 05:42 PM »
Flasher.  I had a camera and found it to be more of a distraction than an invaluable tool.

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:01 PM »
Flasher    all the way.   A flasher is a valuable tool.  The camera is a neat  toy.

Offline Fishurman63

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:26 PM »
If you do decide to get a flasher you WILL want the ZOOM feature!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2011, 12:03 AM »
I have an 825sd camera and a bird 55. if i could only have one unit, I would take a junker flasher over the best camera any day of the week! I use the camera if the fishing is guaranteed or when the bite is soft. bread and butter= flasher. I can't believe it's not butter. ;D
p.s. nice posts guys...

Offline Mr.Sodus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:13 AM »
OK. Thank you all!
Now, let the debate begin; which flasher to buy and how in the world do you discern flashing bars from distortion to actually translate it into fish?
sorry that was 2 questions.

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:19 AM »
I have both too, and wished I would have not bought the camera and bought a better Vexilar instead.
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:20 AM »
I'd buy one of each and decide which I liked best rather then have a knock out drag out on here for ten pages...again!
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Mr.Sodus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:27 AM »
I'd buy one of each and decide which I liked best rather then have a knock out drag out on here for ten pages...again!

you got a couple of bucks I can borrow?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2011, 01:44 PM »
OK. Thank you all!
Now, let the debate begin; which flasher to buy and how in the world do you discern flashing bars from distortion to actually translate it into fish?
sorry that was 2 questions.

Check all of the flashers out and buy the one with the features that you want. They are all good these days. A lot of folks are brand loyal and will advise you to buy the brand that they have. I like to do my own research for something like this, but there are always people on the ice that will explain how their sonar works if you want to take the time to do this. Most or all of them will come with an instructional CD or will have a section in the manual for operation. I think most people will tell you that using it on the ice is the best way to experiment and learn what it is telling you. This worked best  for me anyway.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2011, 05:20 PM »
Check all of the flashers out and buy the one with the features that you want. They are all good these days. A lot of folks are brand loyal and will advise you to buy the brand that they have. I like to do my own research for something like this, but there are always people on the ice that will explain how their sonar works if you want to take the time to do this. Most or all of them will come with an instructional CD or will have a section in the manual for operation. I think most people will tell you that using it on the ice is the best way to experiment and learn what it is telling you. This worked best  for me anyway.

Listen to Ice Dawg.

YOu will hear the brand loyal guys tell you that you are nuts if you dont buy a marcum. or a vex. or whatever.

The next thing you will hear is that you are a fool if you  dont get one with a zoom,  or a vairable zoom,   or whatever.

The fact of the matter is that  they are all fantastic machines.   Their is a gang of us that fish together.  we have a couple  of vex fl-8s -- no  bottom zoom.  We have  the new humming bird..  we have a few marcums.  Even a showdown.  They are all great !   You  can put them all in a row,  put your smallest teardrop on, and  follow it all the way to the bottom.   They will all  let  you watch a fish swim up and hit your jig.   They will all let you know if you are jigging too much or not enough.     The only complaint  I ever heard of from any of them was the showdown, and it had nothing to do with the electronics -- I guess they  have a plastic arm that holds the transducer, and  the one guy  broke a few of them, so he wasnt impressed with that feature.   

But if you get any flasher,  you will love it !!!  trust me

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2011, 06:10 PM »
Listen to Ice Dawg.

YOu will hear the brand loyal guys tell you that you are nuts if you dont buy a marcum. or a vex. or whatever.

The next thing you will hear is that you are a fool if you  dont get one with a zoom,  or a vairable zoom,   or whatever.

The fact of the matter is that  they are all fantastic machines.   Their is a gang of us that fish together.  we have a couple  of vex fl-8s -- no  bottom zoom.  We have  the new humming bird..  we have a few marcums.  Even a showdown.  They are all great !   You  can put them all in a row,  put your smallest teardrop on, and  follow it all the way to the bottom.   They will all  let  you watch a fish swim up and hit your jig.   They will all let you know if you are jigging too much or not enough.     The only complaint  I ever heard of from any of them was the showdown, and it had nothing to do with the electronics -- I guess they  have a plastic arm that holds the transducer, and  the one guy  broke a few of them, so he wasnt impressed with that feature.   
well said.
But if you get any flasher,  you will love it !!!  trust me

Offline truckhuntfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You'll have that
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2011, 09:34 PM »
i have been using a camera all season so far. BUT i JUST went out today with my brand new vexilar fl8 and loved it , camera shows your jig and thats , it not what is above or below it unless you move it around.  vexilar shows jig and above and below it to see where the jig had to be. besides water was cloudy and camera viewing distance was only a couple of feet. but thats just my 2 cents
-Truckin , Huntin , and Fishin , That's how I roll

Ha Haa Haaa  Did that hurt right away ???

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Jan 18, 2011, 06:12 PM »
 I have both cameras are nice for checking out new structure , other than that my vex or 67c goes every time

Offline South33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tips Down! Flags Up!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2011, 07:10 PM »
My recommendation is a Humminbird ICE 45. This has a 3 color screen; green (weak), yellow (small fish), & red (big fish/bottom). It is really easy to learn and only takes about 10 min. to get comfortable. Good Luck!

Offline monkeyman2269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2011, 11:17 PM »
i used a marcum lx1 for the first time in 8 feet of water and couldent find my jig at all then i sat in my  buddys shanty and caught 300ish sunfish with a cam

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2011, 03:31 AM »
i used a marcum lx1 for the first time in 8 feet of water and couldent find my jig at all then i sat in my  buddys shanty and caught 300ish sunfish with a cam
That sounds odd.   I have a vexilar,  but I am  sure  that any marcum  flasher would find a jig in 8 fow.  my guess is  the sensitivity needed adjusted.

-- if your  buddy in the shanty was close to you and you got that many sunnies --  I doubt that you would need a camera or a flasher to  fish  at that depth.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.