Poll

Money is no Object.. Which Flasher would you buy?

Lowrance
33 (12.2%)
HumminBird
41 (15.2%)
Marcum
69 (25.6%)
Vexilar
99 (36.7%)
Showdown
24 (8.9%)
Other
4 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 267

Author Topic: Let's settle this once and for all...  (Read 7819 times)

Offline icecube

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Let's settle this once and for all...
« Reply #30 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:44 AM »
  I would probably buy a Humminbird 385ci. It has sonar and flasher with Gps and Navionics compatable!  And I own 2 Vex's. :o  Has zoom on sonar too. Navionics is my deciding factor though. ;D   

Offline Flattop

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 08, 2010, 09:11 AM »
The best one I have is the only one I have.  Got to agree, most guys favor the ones they own.  My 2 cents

Joe
In life "The day you quit learning, better be the day you quit"
"I learn something new every day, even if it's how not to do something"

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 08, 2010, 09:19 AM »
Vexilar FL-22 HD owner here. Ive sold the Marcum after seeing this unit. Deadly unit for bottom hugging "eyes" and perch. Shallow water fishing is amazing way better then any other unit. Im not brand loyal like some guys on the board but this is the best money can buy right now.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 08, 2010, 10:04 AM »
I'm not brand loyal either but I refuse to over pay for the new 22 for whats in it. At best no Vex is worth more than $300 new. They sell the 8's today for well over double what they were 10 years ago with no advancements. Add a cup holder charge you $20 more, charge you $35 more for a cover, add a light $20 it never ends. My LX came out of the box with everything for $400, both of them.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 08, 2010, 10:29 AM »
 I would probably buy a Humminbird 385ci. It has sonar and flasher with Gps and Navionics compatable!  And I own 2 Vex's. :o  Has zoom on sonar too. Navionics is my deciding factor though. ;D   

I was looking at that unit on Friday, I asked the sales guy about it, he didn't really recommend it to me. The two drawbacks I remember him telling me are 1. there is no heater to keep it warm and working as it should, 2. it has a smaller display.

But I think I would still really be temped by that unit. Pop it on the snowmobile and go in exploratory mode.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #35 on: Dec 08, 2010, 10:31 AM »
MarCum LX-5.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 08, 2010, 10:33 AM »
I'm not brand loyal either but I refuse to over pay for the new 22 for whats in it. At best no Vex is worth more than $300 new. They sell the 8's today for well over double what they were 10 years ago with no advancements. Add a cup holder charge you $20 more, charge you $35 more for a cover, add a light $20 it never ends. My LX came out of the box with everything for $400, both of them.

The LX-5 doesn't come with a light or cup holder either. They are accessories, anyone who does not want them doesn't have to buy them. It is pretty simple.

BTW nice pic darkwater. ;)

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 08, 2010, 10:48 AM »

Well for many other people the FL-22 HD is worth the money spent (sales speak for themselves), I prefer to use the best so I bought the FL-22 HD. When Marcum improves with an LX-6 I'll proably buy it. Better to have options like a light, cup holder, rod holders, different cases and Tri-beams then have no options like Marcum.
10 years of sales for the FL-8 speaks for itself as well. How many electronic devices do you see land on store shelves for 10 years, unchanged and still sell.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 08, 2010, 11:02 AM »
Point being you dont need cup holders and such. If Vex has no returns where do all the refurbs come from for sale each season on their site? My 79 GMC was a great truck to......in 1979 but not as good as my current 01 and thats not as good as a 2011. Make solid advancements in the technology instead of adding extras. If the 22 offered the same crisp clear 3 colors that my Marcum has for the same price I would try it. And not have a need for a LP mode, never have fully understood why a band aid instead of a fix. I can't go back to a float and blurry blended lines.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #39 on: Dec 08, 2010, 11:10 AM »
Sorry PALuke...voted for one I do not have but would like to buy  :)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline PAluke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 08, 2010, 11:19 AM »
Sorry PALuke...voted for one I do not have but would like to buy  :)

I bet your catch rate, or anyone elses, wouldn't rise by even the smallest margin.....I guarantee I catch as many fish with my $250 unit as I would catch with a $500 unit.  You can't convince me otherwise. 

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #41 on: Dec 08, 2010, 11:25 AM »
This topic is getting old, nobody is ever going to agree and say any brand but theirs in the best. Ive used marcums, vexs and birds and the only flasher I would upgrade my ice 35 from right now would be an ice 55 or maybe an LX5. Rod holders, cup holders, tackle trays.. seriously? This discussion is about who makes the best flasher not accessory totes.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 08, 2010, 11:25 AM »
Nothing was said about catch rate. Not looking to increase catch rate, they are fine. Besides, catch rate has a lot more to do with it then just which flasher one might use.
If money were no object, which would one buy? I'd just be looking to get something new and voted based on that point alone.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline PAluke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 08, 2010, 11:28 AM »
Nothing was said about catch rate. Not looking to increase catch rate, they are fine. Besides, catch rate has a lot more to do with it then just which flasher one might use.
If money were no object, which would one buy? I'd just be looking to get something new and voted based on that point alone.

I understand exactly what you're saying.  I just got on a roll and didn't look back.  I guess I'd try another one, but my point was, it wouldn't change anything I do or catch. 

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Dec 08, 2010, 11:32 AM »
I bet your catch rate, or anyone elses, wouldn't rise by even the smallest margin.....I guarantee I catch as many fish with my $250 unit as I would catch with a $500 unit.  You can't convince me otherwise. 

I bet I wouldn't get where I'm going in a new truck faster then in the one I have now either ::) ::)

If I could buy any truck in the world and it would be paid for for me, I wouldn't get what I have, I would want better. Just because what I drive now was what I could afford five years ago doesn't make it the best.

Same goes for flashers, I could afford an FL8 four years ago, now I see its weaknesses and I WANT better, will I catch more with another flasher? maybe not, but I really think a clearer screen (less interference from others), and a bottom zoom would help me see better whats in the water column, then yes I would catch more because I could see more. ::)

Offline PAluke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 08, 2010, 11:39 AM »
OK, OK guys.  This is my point.  The title of this thread was, "Let's settle this once and for all".  It will never be settled and this poll definitely is not going to settle it.  95% of the people are voting for the brand they have. 

Besides, ice fishing isn't about having the most expensive equipment.  And with everything, the most expensive isn't always the "best" for you. 

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 08, 2010, 11:51 AM »
Its all good.
My take away on this will be to see just how many people would choose which one if money were no object. Of course brand loyalty will be a contributing factor and doesn't mean it is the "best". Is there really a best?

Another interesting thread I saw the other day, http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=158580.0 was what influenced people's choices or was a deciding factor. At the time I had viewed the post, "recommendations from IS post" was not the biggest influence, it was third...yet how many threads every year with someone wanting to know what everyone thinks they should get come up.

They all work, come in all user levels, all price ranges, and all users have certain expectations and requiremnts. One will never be able to definitively say which is best for another person.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 08, 2010, 11:51 AM »
Of course, can't you tell we are all chomping at the bit to get out on some ice  :)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 08, 2010, 11:53 AM »
Besides, catch rate has a lot more to do with it then just which flasher one might use.

Offline SKilo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 08, 2010, 12:00 PM »

I bought my FL8 16 years ago and I know I paided well over $150 so I'm pretty sure they haven't doubled in price also since I purchased my FL8 they've added the IR option so I'm not sure this statement is entirely accurate. The fact that the Vexilar has those creature comfort options is only another selling point if you don't want them just don't buy them. You don't have to buy the packaging deals when you purchase a Vexilar. Again I'm not saying the Vex or Marcum are better just not sure I would agree with this kind of argument. It's the old Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge debate it will never end!

Offline fish333

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 08, 2010, 12:12 PM »
I have a Marcum and like it. My son can not afford one and many times he out fishs me by just sitting there the old fashion way. He learns the lay of the land. Good luck boys.

Offline Indiananimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 08, 2010, 12:26 PM »
MarCum hands down. and i dont even own one yet but soon to be lol

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #52 on: Dec 08, 2010, 12:45 PM »
My first sonar on the ice was a Lowrance "green box" which worked ok. My next was a Micronar FL8 which I used for many years and is still working great. I bought an FL18 when they came out and I recently bought an LX5 which I have yet to have on the ice. They keep changing and getting better year by year and in my opinion, the best one is the one that you would like to have that fits your needs at this time. Three years down the road you may want to try a different brand with different features which again will be be the best for you at the time.  ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 08, 2010, 01:40 PM »
Point being you dont need cup holders and such. If Vex has no returns where do all the refurbs come from for sale each season on their site? My 79 GMC was a great truck to......in 1979 but not as good as my current 01 and thats not as good as a 2011. Make solid advancements in the technology instead of adding extras. If the 22 offered the same crisp clear 3 colors that my Marcum has for the same price I would try it. And not have a need for a LP mode, never have fully understood why a band aid instead of a fix. I can't go back to a float and blurry blended lines.

Well despite better tecnology the Fl-8 still sells after ten years...go figure that, might bug you but it still sells. Only on the internet can you give advice on something with out even using it..You've never fished with an FL-22 but you know how well it performs?? How crisp the lines are? come on now...I own the Fl-22 and fish beside my friends who have LX-5's and the unit display is indeed sharpen and easier to dial in. Look for some cheap LX-5's on the board here if my buddies can find an FL-22 HD thats not sold out.

Cheers!!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 08, 2010, 02:45 PM »
I have loked at them. Not a fan of the flatscreen either. But it is nice to see they are trying at least.

Offline strik

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Dec 08, 2010, 06:09 PM »
is a flasher not only as good as the one operating it???
i have a fish finder in my boat and thought it was junk however i chatted to a older fellow who understood it and i was amazed with what i was missing.
best of luck  :tipup:

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #56 on: Dec 08, 2010, 06:43 PM »
No offense to anyone here, but I cant beleive there is 6 votes for Showdown, I get it, you own one you want to stand behind it, but you cant tell me that with an FL20 or an LX5 or HDS5 in front of you,  you would still choose the showdown. Sorry dont I dont buy that
No offense taken, I had an early version Showdown, quite satisfied with it for what I paid.  I don't like the rainbow of colors flickering away, gives me a headache.  I'd much rather work with either a regular LCD type screen,  all boils down to personal preference.  If I won a "flasher", it would be the first thing I'd get rid of, to each their own.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #57 on: Dec 08, 2010, 11:25 PM »
I will settle for other because I would like the flasher to tell me which direction the fish came and went...none of them do. 
How about a 3D bottom contour/structure scan? 
So I'm still wishing for new technology to be available for the ice fisher.

I could really use a ram mount for the display though.  LOL's I guess I'm on my own for that.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #58 on: Dec 09, 2010, 03:13 AM »
Saved some money over the summer for ice fishing toys.  Liked my Fl-8 alot but needed a unit though that I could fine tune more for weeds and shallower water with the option to fish water a little deeper too.  Opted for the new one from Vexilar.  Got the FL-22HD.  Don't regret it one bit.  Have used it twice now.  Awesome unit!  Been picking up and pin pointing fish I know I've missed in the past with just my FL-8.  Just personal prefrence I guess for sticking with Vex's, nothing against the other brands out there.  Fin

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #59 on: Dec 09, 2010, 05:40 AM »
Watch a lot of sites and watched a lot of guys who raved about the 'new' selling this year.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.