Author Topic: Slimers out of my new Otter Lodge popup! ( that ya'll recommended!)  (Read 1295 times)

Offline WesternSlopeFlyNIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
Took the lady and i out for some slimer action sunday.

Finally got to test the shack in some wind! it did fine. one complaint, the Otter's have these pole holders sewn into the tent. one of my pole holders seams was coming out... 2nd time ive used it. not impressed there lol

This is her first time ice-fishing where we actually got into some!

it was slushy as all get-out, but at least 5-7 inches of nice ice with like 1-2 feet of frozen slush ice on top.
The way i deal with slush is just pack it down, adding snow where needed. if you pack it down, it becomes solid and you stop sinking in.

Any tips with dealing with slush would be appriciated!

P.S. - i'm a dirty dirty ice fisherman. all that crap by my chair on the flor is bio-material. worms, eggs, shrimp, etc. pieces of bait i remove after i catch a fish.
just FYI lol.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
Looks like you guys had a great day out there!  Glad you're liking the Otter.  My tips for dealing with slush:

1)Don't go.   ;D
2)If you go, use a smitty sled, with good skis.
3)Baffin Titans.

That is all.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

• Team IceShanty Regular
thanks for the tips my man!

1. i gotta go, most seasons we deal with slush 80% of the time out here.
2. i was using a 33 lb pellican to haul all our crap. was heavy AF (probably like 140lbs) and stuck in this heavy ass snow like it wanted to live there.i just looked up the smitty, looks like a fun project! i have a room full of old ski's i can pilfer. looks like a fun build!
3. i use Arctic sport extreme muck boots, yesterday, my feet were toasty and didn't even sweat!( the ladies feet got cold, so we just moved the heater to her side, her feet warmed up quickly, she uses the same model but the ladies version )

friggin slush huh!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
thanks for the tips my man!

1. i gotta go, most seasons we deal with slush 80% of the time out here.
2. i was using a 33 lb pellican to haul all our crap. was heavy AF (probably like 140lbs) and stuck in this heavy ass snow like it wanted to live there.i just looked up the smitty, looks like a fun project! i have a room full of old ski's i can pilfer. looks like a fun build!
3. i use Arctic sport extreme muck boots, yesterday, my feet were toasty and didn't even sweat!( the ladies feet got cold, so we just moved the heater to her side, her feet warmed up quickly, she uses the same model but the ladies version )

friggin slush huh!
The Smitty is a fun build, and it's helpful in most situations with a little snow all the way up to the friggin slushmonster.  It helped me a bunch on Saturday.  Here's a pic of mine:

Course it's not very fun trying to get it across areas without snow, but it can break down pretty easily.  If you build one, let us know how it goes.  Smitty0312 on the forums here sells kits or plans for the builds, too.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I like the stools for the electronics, nice idea  :thumbsup:

Offline zmanz

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
LOL I wanted to build a Smitty sled! Live in Nebraska and couldn’t find a cheap set of skis in Nebraska! So ended up driving to Denver for some! Picked up a set for $20.00 and a set for free! Also hung out with my son for a couple of days so it all worked out! Talked a couple of folks into building the sleds and we have not had enough snow this year unlike last year to even bother using it! From reading about the conditions y’all have to deal with I can’t believe everyone doesn’t have one!
Keep it safe! JDL

• Team IceShanty Regular
i've actually never seen a smitty, in 2 seasons living up here.

We get really really good thick ice up here, but the balance is that its all covered in 1-3 ft of snow/slush.

Late season, ive seen some nice hard walking ice (march-ish) but its pretty rare to find good ice up here(its all super-snowed).

i'll probably attempt to build one myself, i enjoy the garage projects from time to time.

• Team IceShanty Regular
i really like the pole-holder mods though.
i need to do that.

seems like my sled is never big enough. i have pellican 65 and a pellican 75, and also my large flip-up clam nanook combo sled...

then again, i usually bring out WAY to much stuff when i go with the lady.

i have seen those interlocking pads that people have used as a floor material before... i never really cared though. her feet were cold as i was next to the heater and she wasnt lol. my feet can stand some pretty nasty temps, but not hers.

my fix to the situation is just to sit the buddy heater 1 foot from her lol. she perked right up then.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Great looking couple catching those rainbows! Restores faith in humanity.

You could just gut and gill them and throw them on a grill. Salt the insides and add a bit of dijon mustard and horseradish.
Take off the grill when the eyes bulge out and you can simply peel the skin away and the bones come out in one piece, like the cartoons of fish bones.
Veritas Odium Parit

• Team IceShanty Regular
i plan to do a naked pan-fry one of these days.

Just oil and the fish. maybe some garlic/onion, whatever is easy!

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
That's awesome! Glad you two got into some action!! I do the same thing you do typically with slush, or i'm wearing snowshoes so it packs everything down so you don't deal with it much. Wouldn't recommend snowshoes though if the ice isn't good.  :) Thanks for sharing man!

• Team IceShanty Regular
i keep forgetting about snow shoes.

good idea. that would work great

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.