Author Topic: Icing Walleye, Blues and Largemouth Bass  (Read 3576 times)

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
Icing Walleye, Blues and Largemouth Bass
« on: Feb 02, 2020, 11:22 PM »
Took me a few years to be able to finally find some bluegill through the ice, a few slabs but nothing big and some random bass and walleye. By the time the day ended snow turned into puddles. Hope the cold front re-freezes a lot of our lakes.

Avid fishermen and lover of outdoors.

Offline Pitbull44

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Icing Blues!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2020, 06:22 AM »
Great day of fishin and nice walleye.   

That spot will have 20 people there this weekend.

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2020, 06:59 AM »
It saddens me how hateful this world is especially from people that park take in this activity. The amount of hate I received for posting this was unacceptable.

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2020, 07:13 AM »
not from me, Love seeing fish pictures, IF a friend took you to his spot and then you posted these then I might see someone getting angry, but if you found it on your own its your prize, if you eliminate shots of shorelines those negative people will leave you alone if its there spot too, they want to avoid the swarms I guess.
Good luck
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2020, 07:37 AM »
Nice fish!

Could be worse, 10 years ago before facebook took over the shanty was the goto spot for those seeking info via other peoples pictures, now not so much.  Hot spotting is a real thing though.  Snap with caution.
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline Pitbull44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2020, 07:46 AM »
It saddens me how hateful this world is especially from people that park take in this activity. The amount of hate I received for posting this was unacceptable.

Not hating by any means but you had a lot of info in your video. People always flock where the fish are being caught.

Offline troutbiscuits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2020, 08:24 AM »
Took me a few years to be able to finally find some bluegill through the ice, a few slabs but nothing big and some random bass and walleye. By the time the day ended snow turned into puddles. Hope the cold front re-freezes a lot of our lakes.

That Walleye is a chunk Cro! Good work :) I bet by the end of this week we have safe ice at the perch spot again. Maybe we should check it out Friday morning before work? Whatda think?

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2020, 10:55 AM »
Cro, were you there Sat or Sun??  Was out there Sun a little between 1-2:30. Gills were thick, but it took coaxing to get them to hit.

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2020, 10:57 AM »
Cro, were you there Sat or Sun??  Was out there Sun a little between 1-2:30. Gills were thick, but it took coaxing to get them to hit.
Johny,

I was there Saturday, I had to drill a 100 holes to find any fish, but once I located I caught over 30, 17 bluegills, 2 walleye and 4 largmouth bass. I marked fish from 11-4pm every single second. It was a finesse jig and a light bite using smallest possible swedish pimple and also using a jig head only tipped with a waxie. it was pure luck that they were schooling near that area.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2020, 11:30 AM »
What happened here? Watched the video this morning. Didn’t see anything wrong! Sorry you got push back!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2020, 11:34 AM »
Yeah, don't let the haters get to ya! Your videos are great and can help some people be better anglers.

Offline ducky540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2020, 02:41 PM »
Great fish and video.
One thing.... you’d spelled bluegills wrong on your video title. ;D Thanks for the content. Much appreciated.

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2020, 02:48 PM »
Not hating by any means but you had a lot of info in your video. People always flock where the fish are being caught.
Pitbull,

I would never think you're hating bud no worries.

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2020, 02:48 PM »
Great fish and video.
One thing.... you’d spelled bluegills wrong on your video title. ;D Thanks for the content. Much appreciated.
Thanks for letting me know!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2020, 04:21 PM »
Great video, AJ!  Looks like a fun day out there!  Let the haters hate.  Not like it's a freakin secret spot.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2020, 06:52 PM »
Great video, AJ!  Looks like a fun day out there!  Let the haters hate.  Not like it's a freakin secret spot.
Yea! Not to mention I drilled over a 100 holes. I found that spot on my own I talked to a gentlman that noticed me catching fish there and said he never got into anything there the day before. Fish move around and I found them there this time, last time they were near the south side of the lake. Someone said to me man i didn't know Sloans Lake had blue gill, well it does. ;)

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2020, 11:34 AM »
Oh. I guess I was wrong. I thought it was Barr  ;)

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2020, 01:08 PM »
Yea! Not to mention I drilled over a 100 holes. I found that spot on my own I talked to a gentlman that noticed me catching fish there and said he never got into anything there the day before. Fish move around and I found them there this time, last time they were near the south side of the lake. Someone said to me man i didn't know Sloans Lake had blue gill, well it does. ;)
Just strange reading about folks having a hard time catching gills! Course I would have the same problem catching the YP and the trout species that y’all take for granted! Anyway happy to see your persistence paid off!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2020, 01:25 PM »
Just strange reading about folks having a hard time catching gills! Course I would have the same problem catching the YP and the trout species that y’all take for granted! Anyway happy to see your persistence paid off!
Keep it safe! JDL
Welcome to Colorado.  Land of trout.  Even gills are tough to find.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2020, 09:32 PM »
Amen! This is trout country which I enjoy catching most of the year but give me other species in spring please.

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2020, 09:36 AM »

Here's a couple of my cookie cutters. All my fish pretty much looked the same, no small ones. And, the ones I caught were all suspended half way up. (in 7 ft of water :-)

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2020, 09:45 AM »
Nice gills Johnny! Last year at Cherry Creek I was getting them that size near the tower area. But perhaps the biggest blue gill I ever seen are in a pond up north that I could never film at .

Offline Hookerhooker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 05, 2020, 11:00 AM »
Haha, that's some serious Swiss cheese ;D

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 05, 2020, 11:06 AM »
Haha, that's some serious Swiss cheese ;D
You're not kidding! there were literally 20 holes in a 5 x 5ft area. So much for a "secret" spot, eh?  ;D
 I used my spud bar to open up old ones.

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2020, 11:29 AM »
You're not kidding! there were literally 20 holes in a 5 x 5ft area. So much for a "secret" spot, eh?  ;D
 I used my spud bar to open up old ones.
Really? After the video everyone just went right to it? ANd you still managed to catch some? So I guess it isn't easy to get into them. I always tell people just because you catch them and know where to go it doesn't mean they'll be there or know how to catch them. Every year I find the gills to be in a different area of the lake, that's the beauty of fishing and I wouldn't take it any other way. :)

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #25 on: Feb 05, 2020, 12:03 PM »
Really? After the video everyone just went right to it? ANd you still managed to catch some? So I guess it isn't easy to get into them. I always tell people just because you catch them and know where to go it doesn't mean they'll be there or know how to catch them. Every year I find the gills to be in a different area of the lake, that's the beauty of fishing and I wouldn't take it any other way. :)
I know the gills are in the lakes I fish. I know from day to day where they should be and where I caught them the day before. Does not mean they are still going to be where they should be. This time of the year in a particular lake they should be in the timber just off the channel. Sunday they were on a gentle slope 50 yards from the timber and the channel. Totally agree with you wouldn’t be fun if they were in the same places every time! And then there is always the surprise when you mark the fish and instead of gills it turns out to be a huge school of fat crappie that decide to hang out as long as you feel like catching them!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 05, 2020, 12:19 PM »
Those bouyes will not be there after ice off or next year when the lake freezes they only use them for marking where the boat ramp has to come out to.

Offline Pitbull44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 05, 2020, 12:36 PM »
Not surprised to see that spot already blown up. I’m glad you removed the reservoir name from your video title but even a blind man woulda been able to find the boat ramp and buoy.

Anyone wanna hit up Atown this weekend? Should be some fishable ice with this cold snap?

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 05, 2020, 12:40 PM »
Really? After the video everyone just went right to it? ANd you still managed to catch some?

I don't think it's the exact same spot you were on. Peeps have hit that spot pretty hard the past couple of weeks or so. The guy that told me about it, told me the area, and then "just look for all the holes" :-)

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 07, 2020, 05:04 PM »
I don't think it's the exact same spot you were on. Peeps have hit that spot pretty hard the past couple of weeks or so. The guy that told me about it, told me the area, and then "just look for all the holes" :-)
went out there today and marked a million but only caught 2. Their not always willing to bite. If anyone is going out there be careful a lot Of holes with snow cover on top.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.