Author Topic: Eskimo 450I and eskimo seirra thermal  (Read 2302 times)

Offline kienkhang1205

• Team IceShanty Addict
Eskimo 450I and eskimo seirra thermal
« on: Jan 31, 2020, 12:17 PM »
Have anybody own eskimo 450i and sierra thermal how it holding with windy day,, planning to change out my eskimo flip over 2 man to sierra thermal for a little bit more room to fish,, and 450i to stay over night walleye fishing,,fatfish 9416I is a little too big for 2 person,,own couple Eskimo pop up and flip over, i like otter ice shelters but it too heavy for me to lift it in to my truck,,,thanks

Offline WesternSlopeFlyNIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Eskimo 450I and eskimo seirra thermal
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2020, 01:10 PM »
i recently asked the forums their opinions on a good wind-pop-up shelter

i got an Otter Lodge.
no big wind yet where i am but it looks strong against wind.

it weighs 42 lbs

Offline kienkhang1205

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2020, 01:30 PM »
Thank i have been checking otter lodge 61sq fishable space and Eskimo 450i 75sq fishable space, so i need some opinions about 2 of these before purchasing it

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2020, 01:38 PM »
I have the otter thermal resort and in terms of wind there couldn't be anything better. Because of the anchor system. I have been in an Eskimo 949i and have seen guys camp in them on ice. I don't think there as good as the otter in terms of wind. They don't have the extra nylon strap nor do they have pockets for the guylines .But they are very solid pop-ups. I've never been in a 450i. It looks like the otter Lodge and the 949i are about the same weight So if you're looking for ease of use when by yourself they're about the same. My otter thermal resort is almost too much for one guy to lug around.

Offline kienkhang1205

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2020, 01:46 PM »
I have the otter thermal resort and in terms of wind there couldn't be anything better. Because of the anchor system. I have been in an Eskimo 949i and have seen guys camp in them on ice. I don't think there as good as the otter in terms of wind. They don't have the extra nylon strap nor do they have pockets for the guylines .But they are very solid pop-ups. I've never been in a 450i. It looks like the otter Lodge and the 949i are about the same weight So if you're looking for ease of use when by yourself they're about the same. My otter thermal resort is almost too much for one guy to lug around.
bring it this weekend if you can, i want to see it so i can make decisions, i like the 450i because is enough for 2 person and lot of space to fish and gears, plus new door is easy to go in and out because we hole hoping alot you know that lolzzzz

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2020, 02:06 PM »
I have the Eskimo Sierra Thermal, but have not had it out in bad wind. It doesn't have any anchor points but you could add those. I think the worse I have been in was about 10mph wind and it wasn't even a problem. I have had my Eskimo Quickfish 5i in 20+mph wind and it did ok with proper anchors and tie outs. seen somebodys hut go flying across the lake that day so it was windy.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2020, 02:13 PM »
The otter lodge thermal does have that 61 or so sq2 feet of fishable area.

my buddy and i brought the GF's out. and we all fit inside pretty comfortably.

i purchased the Otter lodge (thermal version) for windy days and days when i have more than 2 people fishing.

SO far easy set up, easy take down, and the afore mentioned Tie-Down system (why i purchased it)

it is a little more than an eskimo i think, but to me its worth it

Offline kienkhang1205

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2020, 02:31 PM »
I have the Eskimo Sierra Thermal, but have not had it out in bad wind. It doesn't have any anchor points but you could add those. I think the worse I have been in was about 10mph wind and it wasn't even a problem. I have had my Eskimo Quickfish 5i in 20+mph wind and it did ok with proper anchors and tie outs. seen somebodys hut go flying across the lake that day so it was windy.
i have the inferno and flip over 2 man, the sierra thermal have a little more fishing space then 2 man flip over, my brother almost fell through last month with the atv it rip a small path of the 2 man off , that why i want to get the sierra thermal

Offline kienkhang1205

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2020, 02:38 PM »
The otter lodge thermal does have that 61 or so sq2 feet of fishable area.

my buddy and i brought the GF's out. and we all fit inside pretty comfortably.

i purchased the Otter lodge (thermal version) for windy days and days when i have more than 2 people fishing.

SO far easy set up, easy take down, and the afore mentioned Tie-Down system (why i purchased it)

it is a little more than an eskimo i think, but to me its worth it
the 450i cost a bit more then the otter i love the tie down, and propane hose vent

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2020, 04:38 PM »
One day out there is freekin plenty I don't know how you can sleep out there- :P
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline kienkhang1205

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2020, 05:09 PM »
One day out there is freekin plenty I don't know how you can sleep out there- :P
lolzzz we mostly go far away,, pain in the ass pull gear out,, by the end of the day pack get in,,same thing next day,,and have to pay for motel, there 1 time the owner charge us extras cause we fry some fricking fish in the cabin WTH 😀😀😀😀 from that day we said F it in the bucket, we will camp on the lake lolzzzz

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2020, 08:24 PM »
Hell yeah Kang, Sheet is good if you like it! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline kienkhang1205

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2020, 08:45 PM »
Hell yeah Kang, Sheet is good if you like it! ;D
bought the sierra thermal already still debating on the 450i or otter, now need to get rid of my Eskimo 2 flip over and honda gas auger and couple if my marcum lx5 😀😀😀

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2020, 08:52 PM »
bought the sierra thermal already still debating on the 450i or otter, now need to get rid of my Eskimo 2 flip over and honda gas auger and couple if my marcum lx5 😀😀😀

I broke out the gas auger last trip. 20" of hard ice.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2020, 11:54 PM »
I may be interested in an Lx5...pm
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Fishnskillz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2020, 08:38 AM »
I would be interested in a LX-5 as well, PM me please

Offline A0fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2020, 11:22 AM »
I've been thinking about camping in an ice hut on a multi-day ice trip.  Alas, my fishing buds are candy-ass bourgies...  :P  Let us know how it goes for you. 

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2020, 05:50 PM »
first thing my old-school buddy said about my otter lodge

speaking about my clam nanook xl " Compared to your old one, i could camp in this! i might actually hang out in here"

he never joins me in the tent, even if its blowing 30 mph frozen snowballs onto his neck he'll stand out in it lol.

we have discussed getting some cots and camping out there on the ice. we'd need some sort of flooring but it would be easy!

Offline kienkhang1205

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2020, 10:21 PM »
I've been thinking about camping in an ice hut on a multi-day ice trip.  Alas, my fishing buds are candy-ass bourgies...  :P  Let us know how it goes for you.
wwe have been camp on ice for 4-5 years,, we have camp weather -25 degree wind up to 30 mph, and things must have thermal tents,,smart cots easy put up and take down,,yoga mats for cold come up from under cots, 0 degree sleeping bag, small tent 1 heater big tent 2 heater 15lb propane , a ice chisel, got couple time tent froze up need to break the ice to remove the tent, alway make sure air vent open,, extra ropes and ice screw to tie down if windy, that the main thing,,other stuff just depends on your own needs

Offline kienkhang1205

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2020, 10:23 PM »
first thing my old-school buddy said about my otter lodge

speaking about my clam nanook xl " Compared to your old one, i could camp in this! i might actually hang out in here"

he never joins me in the tent, even if its blowing 30 mph frozen snowballs onto his neck he'll stand out in it lol.

we have discussed getting some cots and camping out there on the ice. we'd need some sort of flooring but it would be easy!
we have lot of ice camp stuff just want to get better stuff because we camp on ice alot

Offline Fishermen1137

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2020, 12:54 AM »
The otter lodge handled Wyoming winds pretty good. I always anchor no matter what on the gorge. Weather can be unpredictable out there. Just remember to sit opposite of the wind blown hub, in case it collapses in on you and gives you a nasty kiss! 🤣😂

Offline kienkhang1205

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2020, 11:04 AM »
The otter lodge handled Wyoming winds pretty good. I always anchor no matter what on the gorge. Weather can be unpredictable out there. Just remember to sit opposite of the wind blown hub, in case it collapses in on you and gives you a nasty kiss! 🤣😂
alway lot of strap we tied everything down, and check where wind blow so we can hide from wind 😁😁😁😁

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.