Author Topic: Looking to get the most WIND resistant tent for 3-4 people  (Read 1492 times)

Offline WesternSlopeFlyNIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
Like the title says, what do you guys recommend for the sturdiest, most wind-resistant tent out right now? (pop up HUB style)

I was looking at the Otter Lodge.

I have a clam Nanook xl but that thing scoots along the ice with anything over 25mph(gusts).

My area gets windy AF after 2-3pm.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Looking to get the most WIND resistant tent for 3-4 people
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2020, 03:15 PM »
Whatever you have or will purchase will just need some screw-in ice anchors to eliminate the scoot.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2020, 03:47 PM »
i guess i was looking for the "sturdiest"

One i dont have to worry about the poles or hubs breaking cuz its Beastmode Tough!

i installed two cleats into the back of my flip-over sled this weekend.
maybe with some anchors and rope that will work?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2020, 04:13 PM »
I have a Eskimo 949i ..pretty sturdy ..but Otter has very nice tie down system ..

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2020, 05:09 PM »
yah! i actually just ordered the Lodge.

Will use for - total garbo weather
                 - guiding more than 1 person

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2020, 05:31 PM »

Well that was quick ..good luck with your purchase ..I was leaning toward the Otters(really liked their tie down set above all else) ..but got a great deal on my Eskimo ..
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2020, 05:34 PM »

Will use for - total garbo weather
                 - guiding more than 1 person

Careful with the word "guiding" unless you have the required paperwork. Enjoy your new shack. Otter products are the cream of the crop.
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2020, 05:55 PM »
Shacks? Who uses a shack? ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2020, 07:28 PM »
Whatever you have or will purchase will just need some screw-in ice anchors to eliminate the scoot.
This ^^

Stinky knows!  Eskimo makes great anchors.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2020, 11:33 AM »
I wanted the toughest Hub shelter so when i'm in it during a wind storm i can think " Ooo a chalange! lets see if this storm has what it takes to break a hub"

instead of " holy crap i hope a hub doesn't break!"

Pretty sure guiding only requires state licensing if you charge, right?
I mean, how can you stop me from taking friends and family out?

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2020, 01:23 PM »
For wind I think you made the right choice. I got an otter pro resort this year because I wanted to ice camp mainly in Wyoming, where there are two non-windy days a year ;D. I used to have an Eskimo 3I but the Wyoming wind has made it unusable in about two seasons. The anchoring system on otters is far away the most stable out there. I have been in 30 mph plus winds many time this season with my hut up, and if you're inside and were deaf you might not know that it's windy outside because the tent does not move. Make sure for the hub you bought that you use all eight anchors that they give you. They are good ones they're just like Eskimo that you can do by hand, although it as much easier with a drill. They have four guy lines and four anchors on the skirt with a large pull down nylon that is a foot and a half up each side. Once you get the anchors in then pull these tight and anchor the guy lines on It does not move. A few tips. If it is warmer than freezing, make sure you check your anchors every other hour or every hour, because even if they are drilled down to the nub, warm ice they will start to move If the wind is pulling your hut. If it's below 30 I haven't had this problem.

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2020, 02:14 PM »
I wanted the toughest Hub shelter so when i'm in it during a wind storm i can think " Ooo a chalange! lets see if this storm has what it takes to break a hub"

instead of " holy crap i hope a hub doesn't break!"

Pretty sure guiding only requires state licensing if you charge, right?
I mean, how can you stop me from taking friends and family out?

Right. Any sort of consideration, not just charging money. Just a heads up so no one gets in trouble.

Enjoy you shack.
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2020, 02:45 PM »
For wind I think you made the right choice. I got an otter pro resort this year because I wanted to ice camp mainly in Wyoming, where there are two non-windy days a year ;D. I used to have an Eskimo 3I but the Wyoming wind has made it unusable in about two seasons. The anchoring system on otters is far away the most stable out there. I have been in 30 mph plus winds many time this season with my hut up, and if you're inside and were deaf you might not know that it's windy outside because the tent does not move. Make sure for the hub you bought that you use all eight anchors that they give you. They are good ones they're just like Eskimo that you can do by hand, although it as much easier with a drill. They have four guy lines and four anchors on the skirt with a large pull down nylon that is a foot and a half up each side. Once you get the anchors in then pull these tight and anchor the guy lines on It does not move. A few tips. If it is warmer than freezing, make sure you check your anchors every other hour or every hour, because even if they are drilled down to the nub, warm ice they will start to move If the wind is pulling your hut. If it's below 30 I haven't had this problem.

Beautiful. thank you for the good feedback!
We arent as windy as you guys up there, but 30 MPH gusts do occur almost weekly in the high country (where i fish 90% of the time)

TY for your feedback!

Offline Lakenater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2020, 07:45 PM »
Shacks? Who uses a shack? ;D
Now that dope is legal they don't need them anymore.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2020, 01:06 PM »
Lol right,

But i bring a lot of newbies out. Half of them are women. the other half are from florida.

So yah even though if you are dressed right and the wind is easy going, its not cold. They dont understand how to dress for winter though...

I got the otter lodge, works pretty well.
Got 4 people in there, side by side(2x2) and back to back. drilled holes in the corners and we had plenty of room ( no tangles, no trips)

Thanks for the advice guys. the guy lines and anchors are nice on the otter.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.