Author Topic: New lithium battery/soft case combo  (Read 2488 times)

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Catchin' Fish

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New lithium battery/soft case combo
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2019, 09:20 AM »
Seems legit.  I do like my Genz Pack with my helix though...

Would be nice to have a cover sometimes though.
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2019, 09:22 AM »
try this one https://www.scheels.com/p/trophy-angler-square-bottom-electronics-bag/66179934202.html or the clam bag too...i use the trophy angler round bottom bag on mine, seems decent for $20

Catchin' Fish

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2019, 09:29 AM »
Interesting

https://norskfishing.com/products/flasher-case-w-lithium-ion-battery-12-volt-7-5ah-by-norsk

I saw that it's at a lower price thru Reeds, same package with the battery included. If I hadn't just swapped my Pro Pack to a Genz pack at the end of this last season, I'd be thinking about it, that swap alone cost me $60 for the Genz pack, the soft bag, and I had to buy a mounting bracket. Maybe when it comes time to replace my battery.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2019, 08:40 PM »
Fyi but I believe norsk uses a completely different(less quality) type of lithium battery than Energizer outdoors or dakota. Maybe Matt from energizer will chime in on the difference. 

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2019, 01:52 AM »
Battery looks like any other 12 volt lithium battery, though it's only 7.5 ah according to their spec sheet.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2019, 10:21 AM »
Battery looks like any other 12 volt lithium battery, though it's only 7.5 ah according to their spec sheet.

Dakota and Energized outdoors are pretty comparable but I'll just use EO for example.
A norsk battery is $79 but only 7.5 Ah and lasts around 300 charge cycles.

EO has a 12v 12Ah battery for $89 and a 5Ah for $50. Both last around 2,000 charge cycles.

Norsk definitely beats them both in weight but for $10 more one could get 4.5 more Ah. Which would lead to much longer run time between charges? Wonder is norsk is also LiFePO4 or what tech. For me, I'll sacrifice a little weight and $10 for something that lasts many more years equaling more bang for my buck (I can't imagine how long it would take to get 2k charge cycles ).  The weight savings of norsk might negate everything else for some and be the perfect option.
Not bashing norsk as I now very little of the company and they are new I believe?

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2019, 11:43 AM »
Dakota and Energized outdoors are pretty comparable but I'll just use EO for example.
A norsk battery is $79 but only 7.5 Ah and lasts around 300 charge cycles.

EO has a 12v 12Ah battery for $89 and a 5Ah for $50. Both last around 2,000 charge cycles.

Norsk definitely beats them both in weight but for $10 more one could get 4.5 more Ah. Which would lead to much longer run time between charges? Wonder is norsk is also LiFePO4 or what tech. For me, I'll sacrifice a little weight and $10 for something that lasts many more years equaling more bang for my buck (I can't imagine how long it would take to get 2k charge cycles ).  The weight savings of norsk might negate everything else for some and be the perfect option.
Not bashing norsk as I now very little of the company and they are new I believe?

I looked into it, found another forum where one of their reps was posting some info. The Norsk batteries are Lithium-ion similar to the battery tech used in the newer lithium augers, they are not LiFePO4. They claim 36 hours of run time with a mechanical (non-lcd) flasher at near zero degrees.

The number of charge cycles is interesting, where I'm at, a good long ice season is roughly 16 weeks. If I'm lucky between work and family stuff, I can get out 4 times a week, and if I drain and charge my battery every time, that's 64 times a season. Am I doing the math right, 2000 charge cycles would last me 30+ years?

Offline mattymn80

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
  • CEO Energized Outdoors LLC
« Reply #8 on: Oct 09, 2019, 11:54 AM »
Hey Guys! Most of you are all correct. LiFePO4 from Energized Outdoors is a far superior technology. Here are some of the differences

Norsk
11.1v actual voltage
7.5ah if depleted to 9v.
300 charge cycles
1.2ish lbs.
1yr warranty
$80

Energized Outdoors
12.8v actual voltage
12ah if deleted to 10v (12ah battery)
5.5AH if depleted to 10v (5ah battery and soon to be 6ah in Nov)
2000 charge cycles
1.8 for 5AH and 2.83 on 12ah battery
2yr warranty
$50-$90

When you look at the discharge curve of both technologies, a 5Ah from Energized Outdoors will likely give you longer run times than a Norsk 7.5Ah. The reason is the LiFePO4 from Energized Outdoors will discharge at a constant higher voltage meaning the flasher will draw less current from the battery to operate. I will post some discharge curves once we have our hands on one.

Safety is also a major concern. LiFePO4 is one of the safest battery technologies. NCM type batteries are not as safe. EO could easily offer a similar NCM battery at a $40 price point because the technology is dirt cheap. EO will NOT offer this due to the type of application the technologies are being used in and conditions. EO only offers LiFePO4 due to safety, performance, and overall life of the product.
Thank you all for your support! - Energized Outdoors

Offline mattymn80

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 2019, 12:00 PM »
One more point I forgot, most fishing electronics stop working at 10-10.5v. This is the safe range for SLA batteries so operating below that voltage is not common for more ice flashers and fish finders. The Norsk 7.5Ah capacity is only if your unit can drain down to 9v. This is the same reason the 12AH shuttle from Marcum only gave customers about 8ah usable power and does not work well with higher end graphs. EO did a study for Marcum and the RT9. The RT9 would not charge off the lithium shuttle which is why they ended up recommending LiFePO4 for these units.

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2019, 03:26 PM »
Thanks for the good and interesting info.

Offline mattymn80

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2019, 11:57 AM »
Hey guys and gals. I said I would graph out some battery performance results and here you go. The first one shows a 9Ah Vexilar battery, 5/6Ah Amped Outdoors Battery, and a Norsk 7.5AH. I graphed all these out in Watt Hours vs Amp Hours. The reason being is this is a true capacity test as anything will draw more current (amps) when at a lower voltage and less current when connected to a battery with higher voltage. Hope this makes sense. PM me if you need more info.

The second graph shows all batteries in the industry. The ones included above and Dakota 10AH, Marcum Shuttle (also 11.1v) and the Amped Outdoors 12AH. Once again in Watt hours and the 12AH Amped outdoors clearly the the most bang for the buck in a small form factor battery made to fit a fish finder. Pm me if you need more info.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.