Author Topic: Pulling out sleds  (Read 2899 times)

Offline Muddler200

• IceShanty Rookie
Pulling out sleds
« on: Jan 12, 2017, 12:15 PM »
Hey guys any suggestions on pulling out 3 sleds at one time. I purchased the universal sled hitch  for the first sled  and trying to keep cost down for the remaining 2 sleds. Any ideas??

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pulling out sleds
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2017, 12:27 PM »
Attach each sled with ropes and carabiners. Run the ropes through PVC so you then have a rigid connection between each sled. We pull 3 sleds behind the ATV on our bigger outings. Works fine.

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Familyfishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " it's all good"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2017, 12:28 PM »
Drill hole on the rim edge of the sleds in center at the back and tie them with a rope , snug them tite . Or make flat steel plates with eye hooks on them and bolt them to flat back on the sleds . Hope this helps . Fish-on!!!!!!!

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2017, 12:36 PM »
I just put a small rope on the back of each sled with a thumb hook on it to hook to the lead rope of the next sled.  I don't drive fast when pulling them with a wheeler so with the first sled on a tow bar it doesn't matter if the next one bumps it occasionally.

Supposedly the law here in NY is that everything you pull with a vehicle has to have a rigid tow bar.  They normally won't bother you unless you are pulling a person in one of the sleds, which I can understand for safety's sake.  A sled with a kid in it plowing into the back of a wheeler could cause some serious injury.

I'm going to have to see if I can find the law and see exactly what it says.  DEC officers have been known to misinterpret the laws before.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2017, 12:37 PM »
Attach each sled with ropes and carabiners. Run the ropes through PVC so you then have a rigid connection between each sled. We pull 3 sleds behind the ATV on our bigger outings. Works fine.

x2

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2017, 12:38 PM »
Definitely use PVC if you're going to run rope with the next 2...it might even be a regulation here in NY....
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2017, 12:52 PM »
OK, I think I found the law.  In the ATV section it states that you cannot operate an ATV:

•While pulling a person on skis, a toboggan, sleigh, sled or trailer, unless the device is attached to the ATV by a tow-bar or other rigid connection.

So the way I interpret it is that you only have to have the rigid connection when there is a person behind you in the sled or whatever.  If it's just equipment you should be fine.

Offline tyme2par4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2017, 08:29 AM »
Same law here in NH.
If you have a tow bar for all 3, all you need is a piece of angle iron, or a flat plate and an eye bolt. Just bolt one to the back of each sled, and instant hitch. We have 2 flip overs and a jet sled, but rarely take out more than 1 at time. We did add a hitch to the back of the larger flip so someone can ride in the Jet sled.

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2017, 03:07 PM »
try this method

Offline Hilts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2017, 10:58 AM »
I cut an 8ft piece of conduit in half.  Flattened the ends with a hammer.  Drill a hole through each end big enough for a carabiner to fit through.  Then take a grinder a round the flattened ends off so they pivot with out hanging up on the carabiners. 

You have your self about a $8 rigid hitch.

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2017, 12:10 PM »
I cut an 8ft piece of conduit in half.  Flattened the ends with a hammer.  Drill a hole through each end big enough for a carabiner to fit through.  Then take a grinder a round the flattened ends off so they pivot with out hanging up on the carabiners. 

You have your self about a $8 rigid hitch.

Definitely better to make one if you can.  I just bought one for over 30 bucks that is made out of conduit.  I thought it was going to be the more heavy duty one like I already have.  Turns out the better ones can go over $60.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2017, 07:23 AM »
Heavy eye bolts work good for a hitch, I've also use U bolts around the rear bumper of my snowmobile as a hitch, and pulled multiple sleds and shanty's with it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.