Author Topic: UTV batteries  (Read 1618 times)

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
UTV batteries
« on: Dec 26, 2016, 08:41 AM »
Looking to upgrad the Ranger's battery. Looking at an AGM battery, looks like better cold cranking amps. Any thoughts on the AGMs, good brand vs bad. Thank-you.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: UTV batteries
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2016, 10:05 AM »
Have a look at the Odyssey brand,  have one in my track sled.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2016, 12:49 PM »
AGMs are better than the old lead acid.  I have the original in my '09 Yamaha 550.  I also keep it on the battery maintainer  7/24  when not in use.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2016, 03:46 PM »
AGM will work fine.....as will the Odyssey.....Both great batteries !!

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2016, 05:38 PM »
when my factory battery died I replaced it with a optima yellow top it hasn't let down yet

Offline RD79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2016, 09:00 AM »
Which model of Ranger are you replacing the battery on?  If its the older models with the small ATV battery under the hood i suggest modifying some plastic and using a full-size yellow top.  I have just recently done this on my 2010 800XP and it has never started better with "unlimited" cranking power compared with the smaller factory battery.  Yellow tops are nice because you can mount them on an angle which i had to do in mine due to some frame restrictions.  Its nice having extra power if you are running extra lights and a winch as well.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2016, 09:04 AM »
2012 Ranger XP 800

Offline RD79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2016, 09:15 AM »
I assume it has the molded plastic under the hood for 2 batteries like mine did?  I cut out that divider piece in the middle and then the big battery goes in on its side on an angle, hood should close without any interference.  I would measure and re-measure before you cut as i cut out more plastic than i needed because i thought i needed the space, i in fact did not.  Just used a few pieces of tire tube for a buffer on the bottom to help cushion it and a new strap over the top, ready for action.

Offline RD79

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline Bartb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:25 PM »
I have a ranger 570 that had 10 miles on it when the battery died.  The crappy yuasa battery was rated for 190 cca.  I put a Harley-Davidson AGM battery for a touring bagger in.  It has 425 CCA, and oddly fits perfectly in the upper molded shelf of the batttery tray and even the stock hold downs fit perfectly.

It's an expensive battery,  it it's rated for EXTREME vibration in any orientation, even upside down.  I have seen them last up to 8 years when on a battery tender During the off season.

Even if free, I didn't want another yuasa battery I my ranger.

East penn makes Harley batteries in the USA, below is a link to extreme quality batteries.

http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/
I fish a lot....I catch a little.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.