Author Topic: Tonneau Cover Recommendations?  (Read 4847 times)

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tonneau Cover Recommendations?
« on: Nov 10, 2016, 08:58 AM »
I've decided to get a tonneau cover for my truck.. but all the reviews I read online are from people in AZ or TX - aka useless to me. I need to know how these hold up to snow and ice.

So I ask you guy and gals - do you have any recommendations? I am trying to go with one that can be rolled or folded all the way up and out of the way.

Also - I'm no Rockefeller, so cheaper = better.

THANKS!

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tonneau Cover Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2016, 12:32 PM »
Believe me, I'm no Rockefeller either but I have a lot invested in what I put under my Tonneau.  Here is the one I put on my truck when I upgraded from my old truck with a topper.  It wasn't cheap but no one will cut it to get at what's under it while I'm away from my truck either.  http://www.truxedo.com/p-36117-titanium-hard-rolling-cover.html.  It was easy to install and keeps my ice gear secure all winter, even when it is parked outside.

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2016, 01:08 PM »
Thank you Eyes! This one seems top-notch for sure.. may be worth waiting a few weeks for.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2016, 11:25 PM »
Have an access trifold tonneau. Held up very well in our Manitoba winters. Warranty is excellent... the few times I broke things, new parts were in the mail, quick and free. An otter won't fit under it, I find it easier to just take it off on the days I'm fishing.

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2016, 08:05 PM »
I have a BakFlip VP for  14 months, so far its held up well, snow ice etc. My truck is always outside too. Easy install, shipped to house .

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2016, 08:25 PM »
Whichever you decide to go with, make sure it's a Truxedo brand. Their service is top notch. Around here, the low pro is pretty popular.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2016, 12:30 PM »
I have an Undercover Classic which is a hard tonneau cover. It has two gas lift assists and locks. When closed it keeps the tailgate from being opened so you don't have to buy any kind of tailgate lock. It's rigid enough that I can stand on it and I'm 270 lbs. It's awesome but the only disadvantage is when you want to put something big in the bed. Then it needs to come off which requires no tools and can be done in about 30 seconds.

Here is a promo video of it.
https://youtu.be/L58X12l9CQQ
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2016, 02:45 PM »
When I had my truck I was advised not to go with the snap type taneau covers but instead go with velcro type the snaps will break no matter what the dealer ship told me and these were the famous brand model breaking if you can the back flip or tri folds are the way to go but price is aways a issue with some that's why I say velcro if it has to be cheap model..

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2016, 05:32 AM »
Xtang trifecta, eliminates the worry of snow and ice and whatnot getting into your snaps or Velcro rendering them useless.  By far the easiest cover to open and easiest to install/remove.  Make sure in the summer you condition the leather every once in a great while to avoid cracks at the folding points and you're good to go.
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2016, 05:14 PM »
I have a BakFlip VP for  14 months, so far its held up well, snow ice etc. My truck is always outside too. Easy install, shipped to house .

X2

Best looking cover out there. Love mine.

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2016, 06:43 PM »
I have the Truxedo low profile model with the velcro holding down the sides it's my second one that I've owned and really like it. I can roll it all the way up to the back window so I can get my quad up in the truck. I have a locking tailgate which adds to some security. It holds up well to snow & ice. Around 450.00 installed
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline yotyfox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2016, 06:44 PM »
I'm on my 3rd Bakflip Fibermax tonneau cover (two GMC's and one Ford) and have never had an issue with any of them.  Easy to install and remove.  Two friends have the Bakflip VP and they are happy with them.  When it's time for a new truck, I'll be buying another one.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2016, 06:50 PM »
On my 6th year for my Access Lorado. Lots of ice and snow here in Minnysoda. It looks like new yet. My buddy who got another popular brand  at the same time I did, his doesn't look so hot anymore.

http://www.accesscover.com/lorado/
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2016, 07:01 PM »
I've had the tuxedo  Truxsport for 5 years now. Base line unit, but well made. It has held up well, is easy to use, and rolls up out of the way. The Velcro roll up straps crapped out so I made a bungee loop with a button and it does the trick just fine. The top is still in great shape and the Velcro sides still work fine.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2016, 05:17 AM »
Been using a Lund trifold for 6 years.  Started on a 2011 Silverado and now on my 2016.  You won't keep anyone out of the back of your truck, if they want in bad enogh. 
This Lund has held up perfectly to the snow and ice we get around here.  One time I was hauling a small load and had the cover folded - I dropped the load off, started to reinstall the cover, got distracted.  Short story, I took off down the road and cover blew "closed".  Broke two of the hinges, and the rear corners.
Got on line and Lund furnished replacement parts free of charge.  Lifetime warranty.  Can't beat it.
Anyways, I like that there are no "rails"or any other parts added to the truck to support the cover.  It is very easy on and off, and looks great, even after 6 yesrs f use.

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2016, 09:00 AM »
I used to have a Roll and Lock but the release mechanism would freeze switched to a Retrax they make a great tonneau but a bit pricey.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2016, 08:54 AM »
Xtang trifecta, eliminates the worry of snow and ice and whatnot getting into your snaps or Velcro rendering them useless.  By far the easiest cover to open and easiest to install/remove.  Make sure in the summer you condition the leather every once in a great while to avoid cracks at the folding points and you're good to go.

This is the cover that I have. I will 2nd everything he said. Best cover out there.
I have had undercovers, rollup velcos, toppers ect and the extant trifold blows them out of the water. I take my cover on and off all winter to haul the atv and it is so fast and easy I don't even think about it. And something that folks don't realize is that there isn't any hardware or rails or brackets when you remove the cover so you get 100% of your truck bed..I will never own another cover.  Mine is 4 years old and still looks new
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline chasin eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2016, 09:00 AM »
Another vote for the Truxedo Lo-pro cover.  Made in the USA and has a lifetime warranty.  I've had mine almost four years now, and it has held up well to some hot and cold weather.  No issues at all.  Good luck in your purchase.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2017, 07:42 AM »
X3 for xtang trifecta.

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2017, 08:07 AM »
So I ended up going with an Extang SolidFold 2.. after much, much debate. and I have to say - I LOVE IT.

Thanks for all the help guys, I looked into each one mentioned, and while looking to purchase the Access Lorado - a tech mentioned the SolidFold.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2017, 08:53 AM »
That looks like a great cover. Basically it is a hard version of the trifecta.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.