Author Topic: UTVs  (Read 10194 times)

Offline ADKer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: UTVs
« Reply #30 on: Dec 17, 2016, 06:18 PM »
I own 2 Kawasakis. A 750 Brute Force ATV & a 2016 Teryx UTV. As another poster pointed out they carry a 3 year warranty. The Teryx is great. Twin cylinder, Fox shocks, power steering (an absolute must if used in the woods), manual dump box, roof etc. Very pleased w/ it. I suggest you look at them also. Friends w/ Polaris' are loving it too.
"I got a shotgun, rifle & a 4-wheel drive. A Country Boy can survive."
Hank Williams Jr.

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 18, 2016, 07:16 PM »
I had a Argo and other than being able to float I will never own one again. It cost me more money in gear than it was worth. Rough riding everything that wasn't tied down tight either bounced out or around and broke. And slow. Very slow. I sold it.

Offline jlreeder43

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 27, 2016, 04:57 PM »
Try a Kawasaki best drive train and skid protection from the factory plus more room
The green hornet has caught more fish then you have lied about.

Offline frostymug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 28, 2016, 08:04 PM »
I use an atv but my parents have a kubota rtv 400. It's simple to drive with CVT. Most kubota are a hydro trans. The 400 is no speed demon but has been a very reliable machine around the farm. It fits in the back of the pickup or with my 2 place snowmobile trailer we can haul my quad and their rtv.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Dec 31, 2016, 05:18 PM »
I just saw a picture Bull_Gill_Mike posted of a Polaris Ranger in the threat Polaris Ranger 570 midsize safety and REALLY like that machine.  If I go that route I definitely won't be getting the tracks initially and honestly I don't know if they'd even be worth getting because we don't always get lots of snow near my house.  What do you guys think of the 570 version of the Rangers for hauling stuff, as I said before the main thing I'll be using it for is hauling out deer, bears whenever we get one, and odds and ends around the house.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 31, 2016, 08:03 PM »
Buddy bought a quad for saginaw bay here in michigan first words out of every one he knows mouth was are you nuts?? They don't float and he bought it brand new .. so with the ice we have had "last few years" he's sol if he deep sixes the quad..  bUT bought it for two reasons one was plowing small lots  the othe was fishing.. that's when I suggest a argo to him  but it is to late he already bought a quad so he's sol totally  cant  really use it for fishing or plowing if he lose it.. that's why I told him to sell it and get a argo with plow mount ,motor mount for fishing motor , and a winch, plus tracks I think I seen a 8x8 with 18 hours on it on michigan Craigs list for around $8,800 with Trax and winch but still won't sell so will see what happens I think it is cause he will still owe money cause He bought it from a dealership and as soon as you leave the lot you lose money on the utv atv's etc..  shop around if all your going to use it for is ice fishing there is wilcraft to but for sure make sure it is what you want need an d is safe to use .. in a argo if thd ice breaks off cause of wind you can get back to land with it.. but can not with a quad I hear the coat guard charges 500 just to bring you back  quads don't come back either with you same with utvs.. as you can see why I am still trying to talk him into a argo...being in northren PA . I would think you fish erie so I think a argo might be a great idea for you??

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Dec 31, 2016, 08:35 PM »
I don't fish Lake Erie and probably never will since I'm all the way across the state from it.  Thanks for the info but I'm not interested in an Argo.  As I said initially I'll be using it mostly for hunting and hauling out deer and an occassional bear, riding with the family, stuff around the house, and to get to fishing spots through the woods.  It would be pretty rare for me to ever take it out on on a lake to ice fish and the main reason I asked the question here is because I know a bunch of people have UTVs on the site and I wanted to tap into their knowledge and experience.

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 08, 2017, 08:12 AM »
Buddy bought a quad for saginaw bay here in michigan first words out of every one he knows mouth was are you nuts?? They don't float and he bought it brand new .. so with the ice we have had "last few years" he's sol if he deep sixes the quad..  bUT bought it for two reasons one was plowing small lots  the othe was fishing.. that's when I suggest a argo to him  but it is to late he already bought a quad so he's sol totally  cant  really use it for fishing or plowing if he lose it.. that's why I told him to sell it and get a argo with plow mount ,motor mount for fishing motor , and a winch, plus tracks I think I seen a 8x8 with 18 hours on it on michigan Craigs list for around $8,800 with Trax and winch but still won't sell so will see what happens

Take a ride out to Linwood Marina or Sunset Marina, both located on Saginaw Bay and see what people are using.  I guarantee most are using either a quad or a sled.  I don't believe I have ever seen an argo on the bay.  Why you are concerned about a quad not floating is nonsense as as long as the ice is thick enough to support either vehicle, its not a big deal.  There are hundreds of quads out there every season....but one does have to use his head and venture out only when the ice is safe enough.  As for the argo not selling......with only 18 hours, one has to wonder why?  Did the seller realize how uncomfortable they are, how slow they are and did I mention how uncomfortable they are?  I had one for about one month..thats all I needed to tell me never again.  I couldn't get rid of the thing fast enough.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 08, 2017, 03:56 PM »
Lots of ice there right now right?? that's were he's wasteing his money on that quad.. 

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #39 on: Jan 08, 2017, 05:22 PM »
The Coast Guard never charges to rescue someone. It's their duty to do so.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 08, 2017, 07:25 PM »
Yea and they leave your atvs and such behind and will fine you if you return.. go ahead and say differently but it is the truth..read the whole article iam sure you will be surprised. 

http://www.gainesville.com/news/20090207/sheriff-1-dead-100-plus-rescued-from-lake-erie

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 09, 2017, 07:26 AM »
Lots of ice there right now right?? that's were he's wasteing his money on that quad..

Wasting it how?  When the ice is safe and the fishing is being done a few miles out, walking is not something easily done, thus the use of quads.  As of today, no one in their right mind is venturing out on the bay any distance beyond a short walk of a hundred yards or so.  But hey, its apparent you have a thing against owning quads and thats cool....not everyone likes them.  Tight lines to you. 
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #42 on: Jan 09, 2017, 09:12 AM »
Yea and they leave your atvs and such behind and will fine you if you return.. go ahead and say differently but it is the truth..read the whole article iam sure you will be surprised. 

http://www.gainesville.com/news/20090207/sheriff-1-dead-100-plus-rescued-from-lake-erie
Didn't read anything about the Coast Guard charging to rescue anyone, because they don't. They don't rescue ATVs and other equipment, but will tow your boat in. I guess if you break off and float away with your ATV, the ATV is a personal problem when a rescue is involved. I have watched TV shows where they pulled an aluminum boat behind their snowmobile in case this happened. Apparently they would use the boat to get to safe ice and tough noogies for the equipment not in the boat with them. The article said "authorities" lined them up and said they could be charged if they went back. It seems the Sheriff was also involved in the rescue. The reason I say this is I spent four years rescuing people while aboard search and rescue craft and we billed no one no matter how stupid the reason for their rescue was.  ;)

Offline WestSideAl8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pants up, don't loot!
« Reply #43 on: Jan 10, 2017, 12:00 PM »
The Coast Guard never charges to rescue someone. It's their duty to do so.

Sure they never charge to rescue some poor soul. They also do not let you bring ANY of your gear if rescued. There are a couple of salvage companies that work over in the Lake St. Clair area that just wait to have a break off where fishermen are stranded. They let the Coast Guard do their thing and then head out in there air boats and pick up shanties, quads, and other gear.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #44 on: Jan 10, 2017, 12:36 PM »
They aren't legally allowed to if there are private contractors that do it. If they tow your boat, they tow it to the nearest port. If you want to go to a different port you hire a private tug. If they start hauling all your gear when they rescue you, all of the contractors would complain that the Coast Guard is taking business away from them. I had many captains complain because I couldn't tow them to the port of their choice. Better than law suits from private towing companies. I always thought it a better use of my time to possibly help others in trouble rather than towing a vessel another thirty miles to a port of their choice.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #45 on: Jan 13, 2017, 02:38 PM »
Oh, UTVs, I have a Yamaha Viking 700 and love it. Starts great, runs nice and has a locking front differential. Also seats three.

Offline quickshake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 12, 2017, 10:13 PM »
I don't imagine you bought anything yet but by the sounds of it I would suggest the ranger, 570 will have way more than enough power for your needs, I own a 2017 570 ATV [just bought it 3 weeks ago]  and  a older ranger 500 with a full cab and plow.  I like the bench seat of the ranger which can handle 3 adults verses the bucket seats of the prowler.  The prowler is more of a sport style machine. You don't want a razor, rhino, maverick, prowler or commander either, they are built more for sport trail riding than being a utility machine. I was lucky enough to find a set of barely used tracks that fit my ranger for dirt cheap price, with just the 2 rear tracks on I haven't found any conditions that it won't handle. With the front tracks on it is a bit harder to steer in deep mud or snow  and I've never had a issue turning or getting stuck in over a foot of snow  with only the rear tracks on.  Cub Cadet, John Deere  and Kubota also make  nice UTV's with bench seat but I have no experience with any one of them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.