Author Topic: UTVs  (Read 10192 times)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
UTVs
« on: Feb 19, 2016, 03:14 AM »
For the past few years I've been kicking around the idea of getting a UTV or side by side as some people call them and am wondering what's a good one to start looking at.  I've heard good things about Arctic Cat's and the Ranger but I don't have any experience with them.  I know a quad can do must of what a UTV can do and are a lot cheaper but I'm not interested in them. 

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: UTVs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2016, 06:05 AM »
the utv debate is the same as the chevy vs ford vs dodge all about personal preference after looking at all the details of all the models I could find I found the best looking cab I thought and went johndeere 825i with the deluxe cab

Offline RD79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2016, 08:32 AM »
This really is the Chevy vs. Ford debate.  They all have pros and cons.  Figure out what your anticipated needs will be and go from there.  I've 6'4 and the most comfortable one for me is the Ranger, so thats what i have.  It also has one of the larger boxes/carrying capacity and thats handy for all the stuff that i "need" when i take it on the ice.  Very handy around the farm as well.  If you are planning on taking it through the bush hunting etc. they are a little wider than say a commander so they arent the best option if some trails you plan to be on are quite narrow.  I forget which websites have them but ive come across the "compare models" option and you can check out the manufacturers specs against others all on one page.

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2016, 08:30 PM »
I'd also suggest finding some buddies who have them, and drive theirs (more than you would get at a dealership).  Be nice on the ice and maybe a few people will let you putter around in theirs.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2016, 12:46 AM »
What are some things to look for and avoid?  Like I said I don't know much about them and would like to have a heads up on things to watch out for.  I'm not looking for a speed demon, I want it so I don't have to drag deer, can haul my fishing gear, and ride in the woods without getting stuck every five minutes.  I'm not going to be doing any serious mud boggin with it or going up goat paths but want something that's good in snow and the occasional mud hole.

Offline bb400guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2016, 12:36 PM »
Sounds like your looking for a Yamaha Wolverine R-spec.  I use my ATV's pretty much like what your needs are, and I'm about to sell them and buy a Wolverine. Go to www.wolverineforums.co m and do your research before you spend $15K...
How long is a piece of string?

Offline Boxcall

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2016, 10:12 PM »
Hey Chris!  I was able to find a used CanAm Commander XT at a ridiculously good price this past summer and am very impressed with it... my hunting lease in WV is 6 miles from where I stay, and the ability to hop in my machine and drive 6 miles of backroads then right onto the property to hunt is so convenient! I outfitted it with a hood rack with 2 auger holders and a spud holder and was able to use it a half dozen times for ice fishing this too warm ice season... worked great!... plan on getting a set of Camoplast Tatou 4s tracks before next ice season... just my 2 cents.... good luck to you!
Q: "Why are you such a curmudgeon?"
A: "Because I've had the opportunity to observe human beings for seven decades, and if you do it for that long and don't have a foul disposition, either you're simple or you haven't been paying attention."       - David E. Petzal

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2016, 10:02 AM »
What ever you buy, if its new, pay for the extended warranty.  Most manufacturers only offer a limited one (6 months) except CF Moto (Chinese machine) that has a 5 year plan standard.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2016, 11:04 AM »
Thanks guys.  What do you guys think about how good Arctic Cat's Prowler and HDX and , Polaris Ranger machines are?  I'm kind of leaning toward one of these because I'm familiar with the company names and know they have a history of building quality stuff.  As for the extended warranty I'll definitely be getting that.

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2016, 11:07 AM »
What ever you buy, if its new, pay for the extended warranty.  Most manufacturers only offer a limited one (6 months) except CF Moto (Chinese machine) that has a 5 year plan standard.

Actually I believe Kawasaki is the only manufacturer that provides a full 3-year warranty on all its UTV's. Looks like all the other manufacturers have 6-months warranty with option to purchase extended warranty. Some (Can-Am for sure) have up to 3-years included on certain promotions.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline RD79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2016, 11:31 AM »
I would stay away from the Arctic Cats unless you have a great dealer to work on warranty issues with.  In my area they do not have a good reputation for producing a quality product.  Alot of clutching issues and very under-powered for what they are advertised as.  The Ranger has always gotten me to and from anywhere that i want to go and have pulled a few other machines home in the process.  Not saying it is the be-all end-all but it has proven to me that it is a strong and capable work horse as well as a comfortable riding machine.  If you dont go with a ranger i would seriously look at a yamaha product as they have an incredible reputation for be reliable.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2016, 12:02 PM »
Nobody talks about the Honda SxS's.  Anybody driven one or used one off road?

Offline damdiver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2016, 06:04 PM »
Thanks guys.  What do you guys think about how good Arctic Cat's Prowler and HDX and , Polaris Ranger machines are?  I'm kind of leaning toward one of these because I'm familiar with the company names and know they have a history of building quality stuff.  As for the extended warranty I'll definitely be getting that.

I've been running a 2014 Arctic Cat HDX 700 for 2 ice season.  I have the full cab on it and Camoplast tracks.  With the tracks on it, it goes through snow like crazy.  I have close to 2000 miles on it with no issues.  I've not had any mechanical failures.  I have the dealer do the oil changes and routine maintance inspection.  The box capacity is 1000 lbs and holds a full size pallet.  There are 2" receivers on front and back, so if needed you can really load it up.

In response to the AC post above, I believe they have made some strides in quality in the last 5 years.  I had a 2006 ATV that gave me some fits.

My best advice is pick a good dealer, get references on them before choosing brands.  My dealer is 1/2 mile away.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2016, 06:04 PM »
What do you guys think about how good Arctic Cat's Prowler and HDX and , Polaris Ranger machines are?  I'm kind of leaning toward one of these because I'm familiar with the company names and know they have a history of building quality stuff. 

Arctic Cat or Polaris.....If you're familiar with these company names & history of quality, you should just go test out the models you're interested in and make the choice. But, if it were me spending thousands of my hard earned $$$$$, I would be spending hours upon hours of my time researching these machines on their respective forums & gathering honest info/reviews from the people that actually use them in a variety of ways. I've found most members of these forums think their machine to be the best(brand loyal), but I've also found them to be overly honest with discussing problems with the machines. A solid resource in my book.

All the manufacturers make a pretty solid product. There are pros/cons to each & when doing research it seems all have some sort of problems/issues. I have yet to find the perfect UTV. Always for the most part liked a certain model, but wished it had a feature or two from another model. It comes down to what fits your needs & is within your budget.

I bought my UTV new in 2009. In 7 years of ownership I've done about $1000 in upgrades(Lift, Tires, etc. etc.). In those 7 years I put a new stator in it & replaced the battery.

Good luck in your search & keep us posted !!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2016, 06:35 PM »
SpitzoMT, no offense but as I initially said, I don't have ANY experience with them and don't know what to watch out for.  I also didn't and don't know about any of the forums you mentioned and honestly I don't have a lot of free time to spend hours on end researching each forum so I asked my fellow members here about their experiences.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2016, 12:41 AM »
SpitzoMT, no offense but as I initially said, I don't have ANY experience with them and don't know what to watch out for.  I also didn't and don't know about any of the forums you mentioned and honestly I don't have a lot of free time to spend hours on end researching each forum so I asked my fellow members here about their experiences.

No offense taken sir. It's all good. Really just trying to help you out while not promoting any specific brand. You mentioning no experience with UTV's is exactly why I suggested the forums as a great research tool. Been there, done that. Like I previously stated, "most honest info you'll find by the people that actually use the product". I've personally used them when buying my truck, UTV, 2 ATV's, & 5th-Wheel camp trailer. Here's some forum links to a few of the units already mentioned in this thread. Check them out if you can. Keep us posted & looking forward to some pics after you make your decision. Good luck to ya & take care !!

http://www.prowlerforums.net/forums/prowler-1000-xt/
http://www.prowlerforums.net/forums/prowler-700-xt/
http://www.prowlerforums.net/forums/prowler-550-xt/
http://www.prowlerforums.net/forums/prowler-700-hdx-xt-eps/
http://www.prowlerforums.net/forums/prowler-500-hdx/
http://www.rangerforums.net/forum/polaris-ranger-xp900/
http://www.rangerforums.net/forum/polaris-ranger-570/
http://www.rangerforums.net/forum/polaris-ranger-570-full-size/
http://www.vikingforum.org/forum/yamaha-viking-general-discussion/

Offline COLD-AS-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2016, 08:04 PM »
I just bought a kymco 450i. I went and looked at Polaris, Yamaha, and Honda. I just liked the kymco better. Small enough to fit in the bed of my truck, but my wife, 3 yr old son, and myself all fit in it. And I'm 6'4" 290lbs

Offline kcaves

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2016, 01:27 AM »
How about a Polaris general.  They have a bed on them and are the same width as the rzr S or trail I believe.  That is what I've been looking hard at

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2016, 01:11 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  Out of the Polaris UTVs I have narrowed it down to either the Ranger Crew 570-4, the Ranger Crew 570-6, or the Ranger Crew XP 570-6.  I'm leaning toward one of the six person versions for the extra room.  I haven't had time to check out other brands so my plan is to do it brand by brand picking out which one I like and then in the end compare the ones I picked. 

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #19 on: Mar 07, 2016, 10:06 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  Out of the Polaris UTVs I have narrowed it down to either the Ranger Crew 570-4, the Ranger Crew 570-6, or the Ranger Crew XP 570-6.  I'm leaning toward one of the six person versions for the extra room.  I haven't had time to check out other brands so my plan is to do it brand by brand picking out which one I like and then in the end compare the ones I picked.

The 570 motor is nice. I have it in my Sportsman and it has no problems turning the tracks and pulling out 200# of stuff.

Offline WestSideAl8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pants up, don't loot!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 08, 2016, 07:44 PM »
If you plan on using it mostly for ice fishing you will be most happy with an Argo. They are not speed demons like some of the UTV's are, they are slower but much more stable. They are also a heck of a lot slower sinking to the bottom if it goes through the ice.

[][/img]

Offline 346xp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 23, 2016, 03:59 PM »
Nobody talks about the Honda SxS's.  Anybody driven one or used one off road?
first post so here goes....the new pioneer 1000 is a nice machine, my friend has the 1000-5  and it is an impressive machine but pricey and accessories through honda are equally pricey. Machine is powerful and as the dual clutch set up broke in is very smooth shifting now. Power steering is top notch as well. His has half doors , I'm not sure if there is a full cab or not available yet. From my own research I would stay away from the 700 models...due to lack of power and the 3 speed transmission not having a low range. I personally have a midsize ranger 500 and it's been a great machine.....I've not been easy on it and I've only done the typical maintenance. That said I'm really liking my buddies pioneer 1000!

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 23, 2016, 05:25 PM »
i bought this summer a polaris rzr 900 my wife really likes it on the trails handles real nice used for deer season and had no problem hauling deer now just waiting for safe ice and try her out right noe trying to figure out how to mount some stuff then i will  tow the rest out

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 24, 2016, 07:14 AM »

I just pulled the trigger on a new mule pro xt with eps... Ordered with roof, windshield,lift kit, winch,radio, and camoplast track kit.

Can't wait to pick it up and try it out! Will post report as I test it out, put a lot of research into this decision, and also really liked the ranger crew. But the 3 year zero deduct able warranty closed the deal.

Jimmy
that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline 346xp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 24, 2016, 05:39 PM »
The new Mules are nice! Certainly not the same old mule! Congrats, should serve you well

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2016, 08:48 PM »
Hey Chris!  I was able to find a used CanAm Commander XT at a ridiculously good price this past summer and am very impressed with it... my hunting lease in WV is 6 miles from where I stay, and the ability to hop in my machine and drive 6 miles of backroads then right onto the property to hunt is so convenient! I outfitted it with a hood rack with 2 auger holders and a spud holder and was able to use it a half dozen times for ice fishing this too warm ice season... worked great!... plan on getting a set of Camoplast Tatou 4s tracks before next ice season... just my 2 cents.... good luck to you!

Ive got the commander and am wondering what your auger set up looks like. can you post some pics?
"Did you  clip your barbs,  you remember to clip your barbs."

Offline WestSideAl8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pants up, don't loot!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 12, 2016, 09:41 PM »
I have an 8x8 Argo. You can get a good used one for less than $10,000. I have a buddy who has a Massymoto or however you say the name. Great little UTV for the price, less than $9,000 from Tractor Supply. I can go through any swap, marsh, slush, mud, whatever, and usually end up pulling his ass out. He used to give me all kinds of grief because my top speed is about 20 mph with the tracks on. Funny thing is he is always following me because he doesn't have the piece of mind that his UTV will float if it goes through. If you are looking for something that will be used mostly for ice fishing I would go with an Argo. Easy to work on, I can haul 6 guys, and all our gear and with the top you are out of the weather.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Dec 13, 2016, 02:22 AM »
I saw the Argos and they look really cool but when I get one I'm going to be using it for hunting, fishing, rail riding with my family and friends, and around the house stuff.  I know a quad would be more practical and probably cheaper but I'd rather wait and buy one thing rather than getting a fill in and then going to buy a UTV which is what I really want.  The other thing is I don't want to go crazy with the price but I want something that's going to be reliable and work rather than getting stuck or fixed all the time.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #28 on: Dec 14, 2016, 07:57 AM »
I saw the Argos and they look really cool but when I get one I'm going to be using it for hunting, fishing, rail riding with my family and friends, and around the house stuff.  I know a quad would be more practical and probably cheaper but I'd rather wait and buy one thing rather than getting a fill in and then going to buy a UTV which is what I really want.  The other thing is I don't want to go crazy with the price but I want something that's going to be reliable and work rather than getting stuck or fixed all the time.

I'm in the same boat so to speak. I'm selling my 570 to buy a UTV and will probably go with a Can AM since I've driven them with and without tracks and I have a dealer close by who's willing to find me the best deal possible.

Offline Njdiverdan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 15, 2016, 10:35 AM »
I have a Polaris Ranger 800.  Had it for 4 years now.  Very reliable, great ride.  My only complaint is the Polaris 4 wheel drive system.  You are never LOCKED into 4 wheel.  The front wheels do not engage until the rear wheels slip.  Now it is supposed to sense them slipping 1/4 " or something, but you do notice it.  On really icy trails the back end will kick out before the fronts catch, especially climbing.  Can make for a very tiring ride.  The best solution has been to chain up.  With chains on all four wheels its a tank.  I would love to get tracks for it for ice fishing, but when the snow gets that deep I have my cheap snowmobile. 

Good luck...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.