Author Topic: What size of 4-wheeler do you guys all recommend?  (Read 11106 times)

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Re: What size of 4-wheeler do you guys all recommend?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 20, 2016, 06:22 PM »
It depends on your needs.  I have an 800 Outlander.  For just screwing around its more than enough, but I sometimes pull a trailer with lots of gear and people for a distance on some lakes.  I mostly use it for plowing and pulling logs and firewood out of the woods...

Sometimes there's no replacement for displacement.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline madman12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 25, 2016, 10:36 AM »
I'm not brand bashing at all. Just make sure the 750 Kawasaki is fuel injected. The carbed ones we're very cold blooded. Not a good starter at all in frigid temps.

Offline cobra_sleds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 26, 2016, 02:08 PM »
A 400-500cc is a good start. Honda and Yamaha will be the most reliable. Most choices in ATV’s will come down to your own personal choice. I have serious issues with the older Polaris machines. Have a look at any of the 2ups. These are only offered by Polaris, Arctic Cat, and Can-Am. I purchased a Can-Am 2up a couple of years ago and one of the best things I ever did.
“The problem with self-improvement is knowing when to quit.”

Offline fishingguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 26, 2016, 07:05 PM »
Have a 97 Honda Foreman 400 and a 2014 Can am outlander 650, Honda gets stuck way easier than the Can am has blown a belt and then one time just wouldn't start. I'll dig the Honda out. Just ordered a 2 inch lift kit for the Honda if that tells you anything. But if you want to trail ride the Can am is like a Cadillac and over 60 mph the Honda is 40 mph and will buck you off. I guess if I had to do it all over again a Honda with IRS rear suspension, but I really wanted a 2up.

Offline gunnerdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM »
Have a 97 Honda Foreman 400 and a 2014 Can am outlander 650, Honda gets stuck way easier than the Can am has blown a belt and then one time just wouldn't start. I'll dig the Honda out. Just ordered a 2 inch lift kit for the Honda if that tells you anything. But if you want to trail ride the Can am is like a Cadillac and over 60 mph the Honda is 40 mph and will buck you off. I guess if I had to do it all over again a Honda with IRS rear suspension, but I really wanted a 2up.

Honda gets stuck easier because it's only 3 wheel drive.
Gunnerdog

Offline sincityrednek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 27, 2016, 06:47 PM »
My atv for ice fishing is small. I run a 2000 polaris xplorer 250 2 stroke chained up and have only gotten it stuck a handfull of times. Had a blast on it the morning after Nemo.
I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 27, 2016, 08:10 PM »
I run a 350 arctic cat,at 6 foot 180 lbs,never been stuck  ;)

Offline fishfighter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 27, 2016, 08:22 PM »
Keep in mind also if you get one that has an independent rear suspension, after you put two people on it with all your gear, you lose quite a bit of ground clearance.  I have a solid rear axle that is just ok in the ground clearance department, but no matter how much I load it, it will always be the same ground clearance. 
Mark it 8 dude

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #38 on: Jan 29, 2016, 09:16 AM »
Same with sleds... As the CC's go up... Your reliability factor goes down.. Of course if you buy new you need not worry about that. But in the long run. For a work/play I would say a 5-600cc... If you are a performance junky and like to ride and go fast.. Perhaps mod your machine. Getcha an 850 or 1000 outlander.

I've been a Motorcycles, sleds and ATVs junky my entire life and have to disagree with this. Displacement, imho, isn't a factor of how long a product lasts. How that product is used and maintained does.

Offline yotyfox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 29, 2016, 09:27 PM »
I run a Cam Am Outlander 650 xt. Not too big, not too small.

Offline Speeddmn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 02, 2016, 10:16 AM »
Didn't see this mentioned yet. You don't need a huge bells and whistle machine to get you on the ice. A light weight 300 will pull you and your gear just fine. It is also lighter so incase you do get stuck you can pick it up and move the front/rear end easier. A heavy powerful machine might make it up the hill faster, but if you bury it to the frame it makes it much harder to get out.

Older machines are also easier to fix, pull starts are great as a back up, till the rope breaks. I prefer one with a headlight on the handle bars so the light shines where I steer toward. Metal racks are sturdier then plastic ones. Routine maintenance will keep them all running for years, good luck!

Offline meat sticks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 02, 2016, 11:40 AM »
I run a Yamaha Bruin 350 4x4 with chains on the rear.  It does very well considering its not a big bike.  I am going to add a 2 inch lift for next season, but I've been using it for the last 4 seasons as is.  Even with another guy on the back it can get through quite a bit of snow.  It's also easy to lift out of a drift if you do get stuck.

Offline huntneiowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 02, 2016, 08:50 PM »
Just bought a 2008 Polaris sportsman 300. Seems good pulls my sled and gear fine put 18 miles on it all on the ice. New snow today so will be looking for chains for it.

Offline Dr Dean

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 03, 2016, 09:09 AM »
I have an old Yamaha Kodiak 400 and have no desire for anything bigger. It's relatively light and since it's 4X4 it will do a lot for it's size, throw on a set of chains and I can go about any where.  The real beauty of my rig is I don't have much into it so if something happens I'm not out much.

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
« Reply #44 on: Feb 10, 2016, 08:44 AM »
My 06 King Quad 700 has been great from plowing to using it for trail riding and deer season/ice. The only thing I ever had to replace was a voltage regulator last season.  My next machine will be another Suzuki for sure.

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 10, 2016, 11:34 AM »
Honda gets stuck easier because it's only 3 wheel drive.

Not true, my 2014 foreman 500 has a front locker.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #46 on: Jan 27, 2017, 08:21 AM »
I see that this thread is old but I wanted to ask you quad owners about what your thoughts are on high mile used quads. I've been looking at quads for awhile, new and used, New is nice of course, but some of the used ones look to be in nice shape, no cracks in plastic, or boots, minimal rust, some have rack extensions, and snow plows. I know that you can't judge a book by it's cover, but some of these quads have 4-5000 miles on them and they look good. I also know that some sellers will tell you anything to sell something. What's your thoughts on these high mile quads. Thanks.

Offline RD79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 27, 2017, 10:06 AM »
Unless you personally know the seller i would not touch an atv with that many miles on it unless its damn near free.  IMO all rec vehicles have days where they are abused, some almost everyday and some almost never, but they all still get abused.  I say this because i dont feel that i am abusive to my machines, and i know they get proper regular maintenance, but there are still days when i want to go play either in the mud or snow and when this happens without the proper maintenance, bad things can happen.
Because of this, and having some bad personal experiences I will never buy used unless i know the person, and even then i still prefer not to.
Its never the "best" option to finance anything if you can get away from it but there are always some off-season deals with very good interest rates to buy new, and have warranty and all the good things that come with it.

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 27, 2017, 02:33 PM »
I have no problem whatsoever buying used with high miles. You just need to know what to look for and do a thorough test drive. I bought may Honda Foreman with 4000 miles on it (from a dealer). It has 6600 miles on it now. It has been trouble free. Also bought a new 2013 rancher in 2014 and have had it to the dealership a few times, only 800 miles on it.

Offline don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 27, 2017, 02:40 PM »
I've got a brute force 750 4x4 it's heavy and it sucks in deep snow so I also have a Indy trail 500 for ice fishing some of the lakes get slush and deep snow and it's about half the weight and is made for snow and ice

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 29, 2017, 10:04 AM »
I see that this thread is old but I wanted to ask you quad owners about what your thoughts are on high mile used quads. I've been looking at quads for awhile, new and used, New is nice of course, but some of the used ones look to be in nice shape, no cracks in plastic, or boots, minimal rust, some have rack extensions, and snow plows. I know that you can't judge a book by it's cover, but some of these quads have 4-5000 miles on them and they look good. I also know that some sellers will tell you anything to sell something. What's your thoughts on these high mile quads. Thanks.
my Honda rincon is pushing 14K miles.no issues and all the power I need.a farmer owned it on a cattle ranch and used it there.if cared for as this one was miles don't bother me in fact I'm looking for another rincon for the wife.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Jan 29, 2017, 10:22 AM »
I started with a Yamaha 200 3 wheeler yrs ago.From that to a Polaris 300, 400, & finally a 500 H.O. The only draw back to my current one is that I need to buy spacers for the front end in order to chain up all 4, although when the snow gets that deep I usually fire up the sled. :tipup:

Offline Big Tupper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 29, 2017, 05:53 PM »
My best friend is an Atv mechanic and he recommended to go with a Honda Rancher 420ES with V bar tire chains, boy I am glad I did it fires up no matter how cold it is, and has plenty of power, I had a friend on the back, friend on the front rack and 3 flip overs in about 10 inches of snow and it was a beast.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #53 on: Jan 30, 2017, 08:40 AM »
Thorney,
PM sent

Offline Genzer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 02, 2017, 07:12 AM »
I've got a 2000 Honda 300 fourtrax does everything from going into camp, to icefishing with chains, to pulling out a big 700 grizzly from under the ice. Great little bullet proof machine.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.