Author Topic: Homemade Dog Sled width/rise?  (Read 3696 times)

Offline ZeroGravity

• Team IceShanty Regular
Homemade Dog Sled width/rise?
« on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:18 AM »
I am currently working on plans to build a sled to pull behind my snowmobile.  I am basing the design off from a sled my friend has.  His was built 20-30 years ago and has gone through numerous modifications.

Where it is an older sled, it isn't very wide.  I think it is about 24" wide from the outside edge of the ski to the outside edge of the other ski.  I follow behind him when he is towing the sled, I notice that the sled is all over the trail (side to side).  I am thinking that this is in part because the skis on the sled are not tracking in the tracks made by the skis on the snowmobile.  Most newer snowmobiles have a much wider ski stance.  In addition, I think that the rise from the skis on the sled to the cargo box is about 12".  I think that the sled becomes a little top heavy when loaded and causes the swaying.

To resolve these issues, I am planning to build the sled so the skis are a similar stance to my snowmobile (I have to measure them again, but I was thinking the stance was something like 37" to 47").  Side note:  I will be using 6" stainless steel metal (heavy gauge) for the skis on the sled.

To resolve the top heavy issue, I was planning to drop the rise from 12" down to either 8" or 10".  I supsect that with the wider stance, I will also gain some stability also.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with these issues?  You feedback is appreciated and welcomed!

As an f/y/i - I ice fish Mooshead Lake in northern Maine.  We typically have a significant amount of snow.

Have an awesome day!

- ZG -

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Homemade Dog Sled width/rise?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2012, 06:16 AM »
I don't have any first-hand experience building or towing dog-sled style sleds, but I think you're on the right track with widening the stance and dropping the height. If you're worried about the bottom dragging in deeper snow, maybe try building it with a smooth belly pan underneath that curves up in front and would start to float up on the snow? Lining it with something slippery like UHMW plastic would be a bit pricey, but greatly reduce the drag when it's "floating" on the belly pan in the deep powder.

Just make sure you get the tow bar mount way low on the sled, so when things get deep and soft, the pull from the snowmobile tries to lift the front of the dog sled. If the mounting point is too high, the sled will try and stay level, and won't try and climb up on top of the snow like the snowmobile.

Good luck and post pictures as you get started!
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline ZeroGravity

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2012, 08:16 AM »
I don't think it will drag in the snow if I lower the rise from 12" down to 8", but everyone thought the world was flat once upon a time.....  I am pretty confident that I will not need to design it so the belly needs to float.

I think that I will have the hitch low enough so that it creates the "lift" you referred to.  Based on your comment, I am actually thinking about staggering the rise to increase the angle of the lift.  Rather than being a constant 8" or 10" rise from the ski to the storage box, I will have it rise 8" in the front and 12" at the back.

I will do what I can for pics once it is started.  I have relatives that weld for a living and are going to do some of the work for me.  I am supplying the plans, the money for materials, and carpentry work to build the box.

Thanks for taking the time to offer some feedback.  I really do appreciate it.

Have an awesome day!

- ZG - 

surflizard

« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2012, 08:23 AM »
Just a thought, If the skis are at least 3 inch wide themselves, they will tend to ride up on top versus cutting thru like a narrow ski does. Good luck with the build and let us know how it works for you.

Offline ZeroGravity

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2012, 09:01 AM »
I plan to use 6" wide stainless for the skis.

Thanks,

- ZG -

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2012, 10:16 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to offer some feedback.  I really do appreciate it

Anytime!

Are you planning on adding some kind of keel's under the runners to help it track straighter when towing it on hard-packed snow or bare ice?
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline ZeroGravity

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2012, 06:31 PM »
CMMahy;

Yes, I am planning to run a bar of some sort down the middle of each ski to help with tracking on ice and hardpack snow.

Thanks,

- ZG -

Offline HomeBrewer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2017, 11:25 AM »
Hey man, How did it come out?

I'm planning on building something similar based off a jet-sled.

The Jet-sled is ~24" wide and it would be much easier to make the entire thing that width.

Do you find that having the sled track in the ruts from your machines ski's help a lot vs your buddy's sled?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.