Author Topic: New mora blades  (Read 2242 times)

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
New mora blades
« on: Jan 21, 2014, 05:31 PM »
I just got in my new mora replacement blades today. Thankfully they are the made in Sweden model instead of the made in China crap that I was having problems with. So I am excited to put it to use!

Offline DoctorPerch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New mora blades
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2014, 05:36 PM »
I think you will find the Swedish blades will certainly hold an edge better.  The guy who sharpens my Mora blades will not sharpen the Chinese versions as he says I would be unhappy with the results.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2014, 05:42 PM »
No comparison between the two.

WS

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2014, 05:44 PM »
Broken China blade
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline pafisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:16 PM »
just got a mora 6 inch with chinese blades, wil se how long they will hold     worked good the first outing   11 seconds through  8 inches of black ice

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2014, 09:27 PM »
Broken China blade (Image removed from quote.)
Had the same thing happen to mine

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2014, 11:54 PM »
just got a mora 6 inch with chinese blades, wil se how long they will hold     worked good the first outing   11 seconds through  8 inches of black ice

just got one too. I had bought a used one that was all whacked out. I exchanged for what he had. A 6" Mora with Chinese blades, I will not be using the hand auger all the time so I hope to get some mileage out of the chinese blades. If there is  8" of ice and over, the gas auger comes out to play.

The big dog has got to eat ;D
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2014, 12:25 AM »
Just picked up a spare set.  Never know when your gonna need em!!
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline blizzardfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:30 PM »
I just got in my new mora replacement blades today. Thankfully they are the made in Sweden model instead of the made in China crap that I was having problems with. So I am excited to put it to use!
where did you order the Swedish ones from and how much were they? I just tried sharpening mine and I could chisel through with a fork faster!!

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2014, 12:30 AM »
They still use Chinese blades?  I thought they changed back to Swedish years ago.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2014, 04:24 AM »
My lazer came with china blades brand new out of the box i got about 2 outings out of them before they started cutting like crap.. I bought swede blades ahead of time knowing the china blades were inferior in quality...

The sweed blades you gotta buy separately...I've seen them from 39-45.00 dollars... If you have the chineese blades sharpened they are fine.I just had a set done and they cut like butter.. The problem with them is there is no quality checks on them in China or should I say their quality standards are much lower than Sweden's... If you look at a swede set and I china set next to each other you can see the contrasting difference in the angle of and the varying profile of the cutting edge... Whereas the swede blades will be 99.9% identicle to each other in contour and sharpness etc etc... I have a set of both I just happen to be on my china set right now....

Trust me I'm by no means saying anything positive about china made products... But if you have a set don't throw them away... I've drilled  over 100 holes on resharpened China set and they cut fine...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2014, 10:07 AM »
Big difference being the Chinese blades are carbon steel while the Sweedes are full stainless

Got a good season out of my chinese blades but swapped to new Sweedes this year for $25, best money spent for ice fishing

Catchin' Fish

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2014, 10:15 AM »
I just bought a new 5" Lazer from Reed's and the blades are stainless and say made in Sweden. I have an older 8" Mora and I am pretty sure the blades were made in Sweden also, but will have to check and make sure.

Offline fishin machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2014, 04:49 PM »
I went back and forth with Strikemaster about this not long ago.
The guy I e-mailed insisted that the Chinese blades are quaulity steel just like the Swedish blades.
If they where any good, they would not need to make replacement blades in Sweden.
Interesting Dave, This is the first time I have heard of someone getting Swedish blades with a new Lazer in a while.
If your gonna be dumb, You gotta be tough.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:47 PM »
Lol the chinese blades rust, sweedish ones dont

They might think that the carbon steel is quality but its not of the same quality as the nice stainless on the sweedes

Catchin' Fish

Offline pafisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2014, 07:44 PM »
only used the chinese blades once and they already had some rust spots

Offline nicjohnsrud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2014, 09:29 PM »
I bought the 5" Mora last year, probably drilled maybe 200 holes with it? Came with the china blades, they are looking pretty rusty and have some small chips in them, starting to cut a little slower than it used to. I've been VERY careful with them. The replacement blades they sell at Farm & Fleet appear to be the china ones ( http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/116385-strikemaster-mora-ice-auger-replacement-blades.html#.UuHdpGTna8U ) Where can I find swedish ones?

Offline jpmVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2014, 10:29 AM »
I have an 8" Mora and just ordered replacement blades from Amazon last week. Paid less than $30 but there was a sale, I believe. They are made in Sweden, and given the ones I am replacing are just a season old, rusted and cut the ice like a potato, I'm guessing it shipped out with the made in China blades. Looking forward to (hopefully) seeing a major difference tomorrow.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2014, 11:39 AM »
I bought the 5" Mora last year, probably drilled maybe 200 holes with it? Came with the china blades, they are looking pretty rusty and have some small chips in them, starting to cut a little slower than it used to. I've been VERY careful with them. The replacement blades they sell at Farm & Fleet appear to be the china ones ( http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/116385-strikemaster-mora-ice-auger-replacement-blades.html#.UuHdpGTna8U ) Where can I find swedish ones?

Bass pro, Gander etc etc.. Says right on the box where they are made...

I've never seen stainless china blades rust... My bet is you have regular carbon steel blades..only rust you are going to get on stainless made in any country is leaking off the auger head or bolts if they aren't stainless..

Offline wicane07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2014, 12:00 PM »
Big difference being the Chinese blades are carbon steel while the Sweedes are full stainless

Got a good season out of my chinese blades but swapped to new Sweedes this year for $25, best money spent for ice fishing

thats funny, when it comes to knives a carbon steel blade will hold an edge over a stainless blade 3x as long

Offline fishin machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2014, 02:41 PM »
Bass pro, Gander etc etc.. Says right on the box where they are made..
I would bet the auger being made in Sweden is enough for them to be able to say made in Sweden even with Chinese blades.
If your gonna be dumb, You gotta be tough.

Offline nicjohnsrud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2014, 07:00 PM »
Bass pro, Gander etc etc.. Says right on the box where they are made...

I've never seen stainless china blades rust... My bet is you have regular carbon steel blades..only rust you are going to get on stainless made in any country is leaking off the auger head or bolts if they aren't stainless..

They are not stainless I'm sure, never said they were. I know stainless isn't supposed to rust, although that's really only safe to assume with anything above 304 I believe.   It's just a little surface rust, not like rusting away.  Anyway, I will keep an eye out for them, there aren't any of those stores anywhere near me, so I'll keep an eye online. Thanks!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2014, 07:16 PM »
I would bet the auger being made in Sweden is enough for them to be able to say made in Sweden even with Chinese blades.

Nope... That's about the only good thing about the international standards organization (ISO) where ever a part is made it has to be stamped where it was made right on it to be traded on the free market...  I believe strikemaster augers were at one point made in Minnesota...They used to come with a little american flag sticker on them...I'm not positive....But never the less, I have bought 2 stikemasters over the years both came with china blades straight out of the box.....

Replacement blades will have a white sticker on the back of the replacement blade box that say " Made in Sweden" if you have doubts open the box right in the store at the counter... Tell them that's why you are doing it...

There are china replacement sets also... you have to look through them... They say " made in china" in case y'all were wondering....

::)

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 2014, 10:21 PM »
thats funny, when it comes to knives a carbon steel blade will hold an edge over a stainless blade 3x as long

Yeah, the hardness of the chinese blades is terrible - i think that is the root cause to the issues

If you're in the Midwest, Blaine's Farm and Fleet sells the sweedish blades for a decent price - not only for the Moras but for Lazers as well

Catchin' Fish

Offline jpmVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2014, 03:15 PM »
Wow, I feel like an idiot for not replacing my 8" Mora blades sooner. Took off the Chinese blades and slapped on the Swedish ones last night, couldn't help but laugh drilling the first hole today. Like night and day. All the perch and the handful of smelt coming through made it all the sweeter. Enjoy the weekend, folks.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2014, 08:09 PM »
All replacement blades are made in Sweden. The augers were made in china for a few years, but I've hard that Rapala has contracted mora of sweden to make the auger flighting and blades again. Don't know if its true or not, but supposedly the lazer power augers already made the switch back to sweden for factory bits and blades in 2013.

You are safe buying replacement blades anywhere, they are all swedish.. unless of course you buy from someone on ebay or craigslist and they sell you chinese ones.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline pafisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:47 PM »
Just got new Swedish blades and they sent me 2 sets of blades when I only ordered one set.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.