Author Topic: Great Weekend on Houghton Lake  (Read 1845 times)

Offline livin4ice

• IceShanty Rookie
Great Weekend on Houghton Lake
« on: Feb 28, 2005, 04:49 PM »
Well we left for Houghton Lake late Thursday night and arrived just in time to fish on Friday.  It snowed all day Friday and was beautiful on the lake.  We fished through Sunday and had one of the best weekends we have ever had on the ice at Houghton.  We chased flags all day Friday and Saturday.  The fish shut down quite a bit on Sunday but we still caught some on poles.  We figured it was due to the approaching low preasure snow storm.  I got a new digital camera for Christmas so I took a TON of pics.  I'll spare you all the agony and only post the highlights.  If you ever want a place to take the kids where they can catch pike all day, this is the place.  Most are small but still fun.  The kids can have fun on the ice as well without making everyone mad.

First a funny story.  I ran into some guys who were also from Indiana.  They asked what town I was from and when I told them they said one of the guys in their group was also from there.  Then he stepped out of the shanty.....It was my brother-in-law.  Imagine that, this huge lake a couple hundred miles from home and I run into him.  I had no idea he was heading up there and was especially curious why I wasn't invited  ::) LOL.  Well anyway, here is one of him with a 30 inch pike (rare on Houghton Lake)

My brother with a largemouth bass........ man could he push it any closer to the camera?LOL (all bass were released due to them being out of season)

My dad with another bass ....another camera pusher too....

Our friend Butch with a 28 inch pike

Notice the beers...thats why it takes three of them to figure it out  ;D  ;D

Yours truly with a bass.

Me with another bass

And most importantly... me with a 33 1/4 inch pike.  Biggest pike I have ever caught through the ice.  :o  ;D  ;D  ;D

To sum it up, this was prety much the story most of the weekend, flag after flag.........

Of course none of this would have been possible without our mascots, sucker and bluey..LOL ::)

camo_fish

Re: Great Weekend on Houghton Lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2005, 05:37 PM »
very nice pictures and some awesome fishies, WTG, what an awesome trip.

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I caught you a delicious pike
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2005, 07:23 PM »
looks like a very fun trip. that 33 inch pike looks healthy! whats the story with that sucker? ;D ???

Do the leaves of trees stay greener, in the autumn, does the colour of the sun, turn crimson white? Does a shadow come between us, in the winter?

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2005, 08:15 PM »
nice pic.s Looks like a good weekend

Jim

Offline Deposit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm ready for some ice now!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2005, 07:36 AM »
Nice catch...that last picture is to funny...how in the world did you get them to freeze like that?
"How like fish we are: ready, nay eager, to seize upon whatever new thing some wind of circumstance shakes down upon the river of time! And how we rue our haste, finding the gilded morsel to contain a hook"

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2005, 10:40 AM »
 Awesome day, wtg!  :tipup:
Jason

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2005, 10:41 AM »
he was jumping from hole to hole and they just parked in the right spot :tipup: