Author Topic: An interesting Sunday drive  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
An interesting Sunday drive
« on: Feb 27, 2005, 08:40 PM »
Well our family fishing day got interesting...we were following Monophil's directions to Delta on Lake Manitoba and some synapses must have been misfiring.  Anyway, after some frustration, back to Portage la Prairie for lunch, then to a local tackle shop.  I found a few jigs I was looking for there too  ;)  Anyway, after a bit of a chat, he explained the wrong turn I had made, so we finally got out there.  We pulled the SS Thriller and after the last week of not working out due to a cold, I could feel it and had difficulty.  We got a few hundred yards out on this huge shallow lake and found ourselves in about 5 FOW under 3 feet of ice.  On this lake, the farther out you go, the deeper it eventually gets and the bigger the perch get.

We got ourselves set up and shortly after 7 year old Luke had his line in the water, he had a perch (about 7").  It was small, but it was his first perch and the first of our kids to successfully land a fish through the ice.  It was a bit tough taking a photo in the Clam, but here goes.

I got a couple of perch as well while downviewing with the AquaVu Scout...I missed a couple as well that got tangled in the camera.

Anyway, the first for me was the catching of a tullibee (cisco).

It wasn't a great day, but it was a family day and we got a bunch of fresh air and the middle guy caught some fish.  Oh yeah, 5 year old Joseph had one or two on, but they got off - stinking Frabill Panfish Popper freezing up...grrr.

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: An interesting Sunday drive
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2005, 08:42 PM »
how r tullibee for eating?  I have never seen one except for pics here?

not too bad I guess better than skunks!!! ;D

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2005, 09:04 PM »
I can't say that I have tried them myself.  Apparently they are pretty good smoked.  They are often used as cut bait for channel cats around here.

Derek

Offline Ashnohgrimbatul

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2005, 09:07 PM »
Sounds like a decent day, I also have one of those frabil panfish poppers....that thing has cost me so many fish.
Let there be ice.

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2005, 10:01 PM »
It is a nice light rod...all I gotta do is figure out how to deal with / get rid of the non-functional / freeze-up waiting to happen spring bobber.  I guess worst cast I could look into replacing the tip.

Derek

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2005, 10:38 PM »
Glad you got into some fish out there, Luke sure looks happy with his perch.  Tullibee are sort of mushy if you broil or fry them, but like you said, smoked they're great!
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2005, 10:42 PM »
Hey Thriller great shot of Luke with his first fish through the ice and congrats on your first tullibee! too bad Icebraker and i could'nt have stopped in to say hi but he had to be back in town.We were out by the last two shacks out there and managed a pail and a few it was an extremely light bite!Marked fish all day and they would just charge the bait stop and go back to the bottom :-\ Alot of small ones released and about 15-20 tullibee.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2005, 03:00 PM »
kids smileing thats whats important :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.