The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Bait Pattern for Panfish  (Read 2101 times)

Offline bluegillJake

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Looking for ice time
Bait Pattern for Panfish
« on: Jan 14, 2020, 10:39 AM »
I have not been able to put the time in yet this season.  Has anyone been able to notice any sort of pattern with the bait for panfish?  I know each lake is different depending on the hatch, but just wondered if anyone is seeing changes of spikes to waxies to wigglers etc.  I've been mixing it up but haven't seen any specific pattern or dynamite bait.

Offline CWlake

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bait Pattern for Panfish
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2020, 01:22 PM »
spikes are always my go to for gills. If that doesn't work, downsize and go baitless. Make sure your jig sets horizontal vs. hanging straight down. The southern third of the state is still waiting on ice but the gills are still biting on open water!

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2020, 02:02 PM »
I have not been able to put the time in yet this season.  Has anyone been able to notice any sort of pattern with the bait for panfish?  I know each lake is different depending on the hatch, but just wondered if anyone is seeing changes of spikes to waxies to wigglers etc.  I've been mixing it up but haven't seen any specific pattern or dynamite bait.
Here is a tip that ill work most of the time. What ever lake you go t. Try that for big gills. Most of the times this will only work on the lake wher you caught them. You can get the same worm from different lakes but this worm will be of a different color variation on different lakes

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2020, 04:53 PM »
I have never had any luck with Wigglers. I quit buying them. The only people I know that have any luck with them are the places I buy them. ;)
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2020, 05:19 PM »
I never really gave much thought or time in bait patterns on different lakes. Maybe I should though. Anyway, I'm pretty much a spike guy 100% of the time. Not a fan of waxies. I have on many occasions used wigglers for both Bluegill and Perch. When they do work, the fish tend to run a little bigger. The problems with them is one, if you miss the hit the bait is gone almost every time. And two, tough to keep alive. Don't stay fresh very long if you don't stay on top of it.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2020, 05:22 PM »
Spikes get it done.sometimes 1,other times 2.change jig color until fish start biting.simple

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2020, 05:28 PM »
Tie the teardrop or jig ion the line using a Fas Tac clip. It lets the jig swing freely and seems to work good

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2020, 05:33 PM »
Spikes get it done.sometimes 1,other times 2.change jig color until fish start biting.simple

X2 Doc. More about changing jig than bait.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2020, 05:37 PM »
Spikes all the way for me for all panfish. Red and white. Actually, just bought 30 dozen earlier today. 12 dozen red and 18 dozen white. That’s usually enough for me for a season and not worrying about how many I put on a hook. Sometimes it’s one, sometimes it’s 3-5. Then you get on a bite where they want fresh meat on every drop regardless of what you’re using. Bait can go quick those days.

I’ve also caught several panfish (crappie, gills, perch) on a bare #3 rippin rap.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline zgiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2020, 07:55 PM »
I generally #@!$ and then @@!!$$#. Finally I#@$@!$#!
 I am the guy you are cursing as you keep getting closer! 🤣😉

Offline bluegillJake

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Looking for ice time
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2020, 11:26 AM »
Thanks for sharing, everyone.  I do tend to use spikes most of all.  I also change jigs frequently, but when you have 3 baits x 5 colors x 2 orientations = LOTS of combinations.  I was just looking if anyone had any good patters for narrowing down the 3 baits in the equation.  I will probably stick with spikes and try some wigglers in desperate times.  Tight Lines!

Offline Jaybes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2020, 11:53 AM »
Thanks for sharing, everyone.  I do tend to use spikes most of all.  I also change jigs frequently, but when you have 3 baits x 5 colors x 2 orientations = LOTS of combinations.  I was just looking if anyone had any good patters for narrowing down the 3 baits in the equation.  I will probably stick with spikes and try some wigglers in desperate times.  Tight Lines!

Don't write off plastics, I always keep some with me in case spikes/waxies/wigglers aren't getting the job done.  I've had great days only using plastic spikes for gills, and sometimes the crappie go nuts for small plastic smelt.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2020, 01:27 PM »
Spikes, maggots, are fly larvae. They won't hatch if they're kept cold. Most likely the temp was just right for them!  Has happened to me before. I left a few in my coat.

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:51 AM »
Ahhh haha yes hilarious, been there, long time ago, but yeah. I keep maggots, spikes in the back of the fridge. Wax worms go on the basement floor in an non heated room. Cool, not quite refrigerator cold, but not 70 degrees either.

I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2020, 06:21 PM »
spikes are always my go to for gills. If that doesn't work, downsize and go baitless. Make sure your jig sets horizontal vs. hanging straight down. The southern third of the state is still waiting on ice but the gills are still biting on open water!
.       X2 and try plastics, all I use !! Fish with horizontal jig 95% time change plastic color instead of retieing jig much easier

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2020, 06:21 PM »
Don’t overthink it you will get a headache !!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2020, 01:39 PM »
Spikes, maggots, are fly larvae. They won't hatch if they're kept cold. Most likely the temp was just right for them!  Has happened to me before. I left a few in my coat.

Yup. Air tight container in the coldest part of fridge. Last me from December to April with no need for the fly swatter. Waxworms... around 45* but still have to sort some dead ones from time to.

Offline backinmich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2020, 07:29 PM »
.       X2 and try plastics, all I use !! Fish with horizontal jig 95% time change plastic color instead of retieing jig much easier

FWIW, I agree. Change plastics and bait, don't worry so much about color of jig.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.