The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Nils vs Strikemaster  (Read 7305 times)

Offline GBR

• IceShanty Rookie
Nils vs Strikemaster
« on: Sep 11, 2015, 10:48 AM »
      I'm thinking about going with the cordless drill auger set up. I think it will work great for my situation. I don't drill a ton of holes and the ice  doesn't get crazy thick around here. I will probably go with a 6". In past I have used both a nils and a strikemaster, as hand augers there is really no comparison. The Nils is super fast and effortless while the stikemaster helps you build muscle as well as patience. One of the things that makes the nils work so well is the offset handles, however, if I go with the drill set up, the handles are not really an advantage. The head on the nils is really nice, but it is nice to be able to have cheap, spare blades for the strikemaster.

When I start doing the math I could get the strikemaster for about $50 new (or cheaper used) and a drill adapter for $30. so $80 total. The orange Nils is about $160 at cabela's plus maybe about $10 in shipping. So at least twice the price...

I guess my question really is: is it worth the extra money for the nils if I'm just going to attach it to a drill? When i watch youtube videos of both the nils guys get through the ice in a matter of seconds, but it only takes the cheap augers a few seconds longer...

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Nils vs Strikemaster
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2015, 10:59 AM »
something to consider:  I use a cordless drill and love it - but i always like to have a plan B... so i pack the auger handle in my gear as a just in case.  I guess my thought would be to get the auger you want to hand cut with, then put a drill on it.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2015, 11:24 AM »
Check out the Fin-Bore Auger...
As I have said before;
 I have cut a Nils and a Fin-Bore side by side and the Fin-Bore cuts just as easy/fast, but the Fin-Bore is less expensive to buy,  less expensive to maintain and arguably less delicate... It is cheaper to get blades, to sharpen the blades and easy to carry spares.

Offline GBR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2015, 11:46 AM »
Good points to consider... thanks for the input. Is it easy to find a drill adapter for the fin bore?

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2015, 12:10 PM »
I don't think it is a problem at all.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2015, 12:36 PM »
Good points to consider... thanks for the input. Is it easy to find a drill adapter for the fin bore?
https://fishingworld.ca/products/8735-normark-ice-drill-adapter
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2015, 01:54 PM »
you said it already a couple seconds extra per hole stick with the curved blades,clam plate and a drill and handle good for 3 ft. of ice or more if you buy an extension.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2015, 07:46 PM »
I've actually been able to use 3 different augers with a cordless drill set up. The nils is by far the smoothest that I've used. I currently mostly us a 5" lazer and am happy with it. Used my buddys 6" mora and it cuts pretty nice like the lazer. Have not used the mora enough to have an opinion of it being better or worse than the lazer. Even though the nils cut the best I would not waste my money on one. I have heard way too many people having to sharpen them or buy new auger heads. This coming from people who take care of their equipment. If you like the offset handle then go with the fin bore 3. If you want to go the cheap route then go with the mora. The inbetween would be the lazer. If you would ever have to drill by hand then the lazer would be easier than the mora.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2015, 07:58 PM »
x2
lazer blades are sold every where too, in case you need a new set in a hurry.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 13, 2015, 01:43 AM »
why not get a mora and up grade it like this guy and use a cord less drill like saying this guy up graded his blades to laser blade on a brace bit auger like the mora  for one the mora does not have those ridiculous ice braking bars that are on the laser 7 and 8 inch augers that make hard work form those augers.. if I had to I would go back and sell my nils and buy a mora and the adaptors for a 8 inch mora auger .. the reason every one say go nils is the laser augers are a pain in the arse to drill threw the ice in a 8 inch  and the 8 inch nils is a breeze  but if you can go for the finbore if you can find one... see link for the adaptor post

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=318091.msg3347193#msg3347193

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 13, 2015, 07:06 PM »
      I'm thinking about going with the cordless drill auger set up. I think it will work great for my situation. I don't drill a ton of holes and the ice  doesn't get crazy thick around here. I will probably go with a 6". In past I have used both a nils and a strikemaster, as hand augers there is really no comparison. The Nils is super fast and effortless while the stikemaster helps you build muscle as well as patience. One of the things that makes the nils work so well is the offset handles, however, if I go with the drill set up, the handles are not really an advantage. The head on the nils is really nice, but it is nice to be able to have cheap, spare blades for the strikemaster.

When I start doing the math I could get the strikemaster for about $50 new (or cheaper used) and a drill adapter for $30. so $80 total. The orange Nils is about $160 at cabela's plus maybe about $10 in shipping. So at least twice the price...

I guess my question really is: is it worth the extra money for the nils if I'm just going to attach it to a drill? When i watch youtube videos of both the nils guys get through the ice in a matter of seconds, but it only takes the cheap augers a few seconds longer...

The reason to get the nils vs a lazer is the lazer will catch on the break through when cutting a hole. It gets really old after a few holes. By lifting up when breaking through helps, but isn't always easy to do/remember. If you like to get a workout with your wrist get a lazer. The lazer will require a very good high tourque drill to spin it. A 7in lazer turns harder then an 8in nils with the red drill head.

Personally, I would definitely go with a nils any day over a lazer due to the lazer catch/jolt when breaking through the hole bottom.

If your just making a drill auger setup and want to do it cost effective, just buy any cheap shaver hand auger, and then when the cheap blades go to chit put on a set of mora Sweden blades. I bought the 7in Eskimo shaver since it was cheaper then the strike master lazer & mora......the blade holes line up.......my red Eskimo was converted into a lazer.......

Overall, the common shaver blades on an auger work great on a drill setup and are super fast....really no need for a lazer or nils if one doesn't want to spend the money.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 13, 2015, 07:29 PM »
The reason to get the nils vs a lazer is the lazer will catch on the break through when cutting a hole. It gets really old after a few holes. By lifting up when breaking through helps, but isn't always easy to do/remember. If you like to get a workout with your wrist get a lazer. The lazer will require a very good high tourque drill to spin it. A 7in lazer turns harder then an 8in nils with the red drill head.

Personally, I would definitely go with a nils any day over a lazer due to the lazer catch/jolt when breaking through the hole bottom.

If your just making a drill auger setup and want to do it cost effective, just buy any cheap shaver hand auger, and then when the cheap blades go to chit put on a set of mora Sweden blades. I bought the 7in Eskimo shaver since it was cheaper then the strike master lazer & mora......the blade holes line up.......my red Eskimo was converted into a lazer.......

Overall, the common shaver blades on an auger work great on a drill setup and are super fast....really no need for a lazer or nils if one doesn't want to spend the money.

wish I would have know about that adaptor when I bought my nils  now I do may buy one lol's will see... oh ya see if you can locate a garage sale that has a  mora or eskimo with brace bit style auger blades and a removable handle like that of modern lasers..   some times you can find mora's for $10 in yard sales...$80 for a good auger to hook to a drill with laser blade and no ice braking catch is a good move...  heck some places sell lasers for $150 for the 6 inch... some hardware stores.. any how this is coming form experience in frugalness... I own 2 laser 2 moras 2nils... blade for them nils are expensive so just a head up... $100 for a 8 and $70 for a 6 inch blades you can re-sharpen the laser blade cheaper then the nils $30 for the nils compared to a few bucks maybe $5 for the laser so it all a mater of ethics.... 

Offline GBR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Sep 14, 2015, 08:37 AM »
      Thanks for all the replies! I think I may have talked myself out of the nils. If I was going to be using it solely as a hand auger it would be a toss up between the nils and finbore, but since I'm planning to use a drill I think I'll keep the finbore as my top choice but consider the mora or lazer. I'll have to do some more searching, but it seems pretty hard to find the fin bore. Almost every site I look at says out of stock and the ones that do have it are in Canada and have higher shipping for the US. I could get the lazer or mora locally, on amazon, or even craigslist. I'll probably be glad in the long run if I'm patient and try to find the fin bore.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Sep 14, 2015, 09:07 AM »

What drill will you be using? If your drill has the appropriate torque rating to do the job like my millwaukee fuel M18 then i suggest you get the cheapest (mora) auger. I say this because i hate dealing with ice shavings in the hole and the nils in that respect is a pain. I know it only takes a couple seconds to clean out the hole but why deal with it if you dont have to ;D

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 14, 2015, 01:42 PM »
      Thanks for all the replies! I think I may have talked myself out of the nils. If I was going to be using it solely as a hand auger it would be a toss up between the nils and finbore, but since I'm planning to use a drill I think I'll keep the finbore as my top choice but consider the mora or lazer. I'll have to do some more searching, but it seems pretty hard to find the fin bore. Almost every site I look at says out of stock and the ones that do have it are in Canada and have higher shipping for the US. I could get the lazer or mora locally, on amazon, or even craigslist. I'll probably be glad in the long run if I'm patient and try to find the fin bore.

wait till peak season fish307.com a site sponsor carries finbores in a 8 and 6 inch sizes.. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 14, 2015, 06:05 PM »
What drill will you be using? If your drill has the appropriate torque rating to do the job like my millwaukee fuel M18 then i suggest you get the cheapest (mora) auger. I say this because i hate dealing with ice shavings in the hole and the nils in that respect is a pain. I know it only takes a couple seconds to clean out the hole but why deal with it if you dont have to ;D

Not only that, but a set of shaver blades can be picked up for little to nothing. A new Nils blade head for an 8in.....$99 (I bought the whole auger for $89) to sharpen its like $40 with postage.

Laser blades are stupidly priced to....$35-$54 seems pretty common.

It's stupid that a person can go out and basically buy a new shaver blade hand auger with a fresh set of blades for what a set of laser blades cost, or for what it cost to sharpen a nils head. At least the shaver blades are easy enough to sharpen yourself......not only that but a new set can be bought reasonable.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 14, 2015, 11:36 PM »
Not only that, but a set of shaver blades can be picked up for little to nothing. A new Nils blade head for an 8in.....$99 (I bought the whole auger for $89) to sharpen its like $40 with postage.

Laser blades are stupidly priced to....$35-$54 seems pretty common.

It's stupid that a person can go out and basically buy a new shaver blade hand auger with a fresh set of blades for what a set of laser blades cost, or for what it cost to sharpen a nils head. At least the shaver blades are easy enough to sharpen yourself......not only that but a new set can be bought reasonable.

I paid 69.99 times two heads for my nils 8 inch the source will remain secret lol's....I have three of them  if I had to re-buy a auger I would go the fish307.com  route and get a finbore but if finbore was not available I would buy another nils... any how the off set handle is a great idea why don't strike master bring it over here? also I think it is only $30 return shipping included for the nils blade last I heard it only like 5-10 to ship it insured threw usps from what I heard frank sharp nils is the way to go if you got one...any how the nils is a great auger the finbore is a great auger... now if I carry a sled full of gear and don't want to carry a gas auger with 2 feet of ice max a year  those two auger are the way to go the fin bore or the nils they cut ice like butter... the adaptor I said earlier turns a more in to almost a fin bore minus the off set handle you can pic up a cheap on garage sales , yard sales, estate sale, etc...etc.. they can be found at those for 5-10 the adaptor is around $30 and blades $30-$40   for $70 to $80 instead of adapting the auger to laser blade by the garage sale unit for some times not worth adopting to laser blades cause of the cost but I would use it till you can find a finbore mid season at fish307.com  ....

oh ya the laser blades I think fit the finbore and ya the laser blades cost $5 a lot of scissor sharpener will sharpen them same with a few hard ware stores and bait shops like angler point marina in Michigan for $5 for the job well done ... you maybe rebuying the  blades every 5-6 years if needed cause they ware out some times...which to re place a nils head is $100 instead of $40 for the fin bore blades like said it all ethics reason I did not buy the fin bore when I bought my nils lack of knowledge of it no one told any one about them nils just came out and every one was buying them every one else tight lipped about the fin bore...that why I am glad this forum and members are so kind to give good info...any how your getting a great auger picking the finbore auger...

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 16, 2015, 08:46 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong....

If the lazer blades fit and work on the finbore.....,isn't it basicly the same has a lazer then? I mean from what I can tell the curved bladed augers from strikemaster, eskimo, frabill, and now basicly a finbore are pretty much the same.........So why do people look to buy the hard to find brands or more expensive auger? I guess maybe for the color?

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 16, 2015, 09:52 PM »
If the lazer blades fit and work on the finbore.....,isn't it basicly the same has a lazer then? I mean from what I can tell the curved bladed augers from strikemaster, eskimo, frabill, and now basicly a finbore are pretty much the same.........So why do people look to buy the hard to find brands or more expensive auger? I guess maybe for the color?

It is the offset handles that make all the difference! You get to use both arms to cut holes.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #19 on: Sep 16, 2015, 10:03 PM »
It is the offset handles that make all the difference! You get to use both arms to cut holes.

I got ya. anyone just try to make an off set handle at home?

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 16, 2015, 10:45 PM »
I got ya. anyone just try to make an off set handle at home?

have thought about it but have not got around to it...

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #21 on: Sep 16, 2015, 10:55 PM »
have thought about it but have not got around to it...

LOL happens with a lot of projects doesnt it.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Sep 16, 2015, 10:58 PM »
yep....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.