Author Topic: What reel is best for jigging?  (Read 4392 times)

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
What reel is best for jigging?
« on: Jan 01, 2011, 06:23 PM »
Hey, its close to ice in on Lake Winni and I was wondering what you guys use for jigging reel(s). I don't jig much, mostly
tip-ups. I have 2 set ups, 1 heavy other medium. The medium needs a better reel. Thanks and Tight Lines.

ZS

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
Re: What reel is best for jigging?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2011, 06:39 PM »
alot of guys now have converted to smaller fly reels for jigging

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2011, 07:38 PM »
I use Tica Cetus reels on almost all my jigging rods, I do have one set up on a fly reel, and it has worked great

Offline pikefreak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2011, 04:33 PM »
i use the tica great reel

Offline npauls

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Hard Or Go Home!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2011, 04:50 PM »
If I could afford to I would swap all my ice reels out for the mini pflueger presidents. I use them on all my open water rods and I have never had a problem.

Nate

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2011, 05:33 PM »
One shouldn't want the mini (ultralight) reels for jigging.  Look at the light reels that are next size up from the ultra light reels for jigging.  The slightly larger, reels will help slightly with reducing line coil twists.

However, if one is willing to get a baitcasting reel, lowprofile or round reel, those will jig much better.  There's just about no line twists from baitcasting reels so your jig presentations will be given more appropriate actions.  ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:49 PM »
Best i found is using the same ultra lights I use for open water. some of the cheaply made spin reels get stiff and fail in sub zero temps. I have experienced this with  the inexpensive ice combos.. the gear oil thickens  and seizes reel and the drag .
lonelywolf lol

Offline zimmerDN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2011, 09:27 AM »
I have found the Gander Mountain brand ice reels are extremely reliable with a very smooth drag.  Just last week I brought home over 100 perch using only that reel with 2# line.  A lot of the perch were hogs and got my drag screaming but it never snapped my 2# line once.

As for the famous Tica reel everyone loves, I found the drag on that is very sub par for pan fishing.  It isn't smooth enough to use with anything less than 4# line IMO. 

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2011, 01:07 PM »
If your jigging shallower water for pan fish I use a fly reel it 'eliminates line twist.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2011, 02:50 PM »
I have Tica's on most of my rods, I do have one with a cheap fly reel on it but it is a short sight fishing rod so the fly reel stays out of the way easy.

J-

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2011, 04:53 PM »
i found an okuma bait caster with line counter, works great, heavier line , no twist

Offline draketrutta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2011, 06:27 PM »
I slapped a cheapo Shakespeare fly reel on, put on about 50 yards of backing then a hundred fiddy feet of iceline.

Fly reels are the best - if you need to fight a fish it is easy to palm the reel.

Glad I read this thread the other day - I picked up a great tip that I never previously considered.

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2011, 07:15 PM »
Tica reels for me. But you can't go wrong with the good old Schooley. Cheap, you won't cry if you break it or send it down a hole and not to mention the great spring bobber that comes on them. Maybe the best buy dollar for dollar in the ice fishing world.   :)

Offline capedeer/fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:00 AM »
The best reel is whatever works for you. Drag system is  key! I use abu and pflueger! :tipup:

Offline Eisfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:38 PM »
I use a Shakespeare synergy T1 micro spin. Love it big trigger is easy to use with gloves (even mits) and the spool is big enough that my line doesn't get all coiled up.

Offline 12icashdollar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2011, 12:42 PM »
its all about drag what ever reel has the smothest drag when using light lines you need that drag set

Offline jeffd7766

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2011, 02:40 PM »
any reel is good as long as its a SHIMANO ;D

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2011, 03:29 PM »
i love my tica cetus ive brought in 24 inch pickeral and some big bass on my ultralights with 3lb test without a line break

catch pike like its my job

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2011, 01:25 AM »
The Shimano Sedona reels are nice. I have a Tica Cetus that i like equally as well. The Pflueger President and the Okuma Avenger are also nice reels that i like quite a bit but not quite as much as the Shimano or Tica. Honestly, they are all very nice and get the job done well.

Offline coldtoekid85

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't ask me I'm just the kicker
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2011, 03:00 AM »
I have found the Gander Mountain brand ice reels are extremely reliable with a very smooth drag.  Just last week I brought home over 100 perch using only that reel with 2# line.  A lot of the perch were hogs and got my drag screaming but it never snapped my 2# line once.

As for the famous Tica reel everyone loves, I found the drag on that is very sub par for pan fishing.  It isn't smooth enough to use with anything less than 4# line IMO. 

I totally agree, i just bought 2 gander mountain rod and reel combos this year and they have already proven themselves, great drag system and nice smooth reel.

In all if you are looking for a good reel. whatever you feel most comfortable with is key. if you are running a stiff line be sure to go with a larger spool but a lighter line can run an ultralight. just be sure your reel has a good drag system, that truly makes or breaks the reel

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2011, 11:55 PM »
#1 pflueger president 6720
#2 pflueger trion 4520
jury is still out on a okuma slv 2/3 fly reel since first time on the ice was today...but the so far i really like it.
]

Offline 57 fathead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2011, 06:01 PM »
Pflueger president 6725

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.