Author Topic: frabill bro ice rods  (Read 3705 times)

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
frabill bro ice rods
« on: Jan 22, 2010, 05:11 PM »
was wondering what everyone thought of these?i got the 27" quick tip for xmas and very disappointed.i have read many reports on crappie reels on different  combos from different manufactures but ,i have 2 Berkley lighting rods i have had for years ,reels look cheap but haven't let me down and keep working.genz stick i think is a nice pole and not great reel but seems to work okay so far.the bro reel is a total joke.i have one of those things that keep tension on line to spool up and with just that reel kept sticking winding line.actually oiled up brand new reel it was that bad.busted off first two fish hooked i think drag stuck.in my opinion they are unfishable,maybe i just got bad one.i know they are not charging us much for the reel but why even put it on if it doesn't even work.would appreciate feedback.

Offline bluegillhunter3694

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: frabill bro ice rods
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2010, 05:33 PM »
I love my 24" ultralight. You might have gotten a bad reel. The reel I got on mine was a good and the drag didn't stick.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:54 PM »
what about the rod?
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2010, 10:20 AM »
 I bought a Bro Rod, 2 outings couple of pan fish and rod is coming apart in the middle section ????? taking it back and will give another one a try.
We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2010, 02:28 PM »
the quick tip is not the same as as the other ones and it is the only one i have.i have only been out once with it  but the tip is very mushy i think maybe its made for deadsticking and it joins the latest fad of making the handles really short and i just don't see much benefit of that .does any one else have a problem with these fitting in any kind of rod holder?if you want to jig with a bouncy movement instead of the tighter vibrating pounding i prefer its probably good.thanks for the feedback bluegillhunter I'm going to take the reel apart and clean and oil it but i got a feeling its going in the trash.

Offline slowkota

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Biggest jumbo yellabellies
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2010, 07:53 PM »
I bought a 24" UL a couple weeks ago, was looking for a Quick-tip one like I saw at scheels, but I had a gift certificate for gander Mt. so I went there to get one, but they didn't have the quick tip pole, so I just got the reg. UL!

I loved it, the pole that is... reel is "eh" its whatever, I dont think reels are too important for my style of panfishin, it does its job!

However My combo was cursed, sure I caught a few fish with it... but it also shot down a hole last weekend, and now today, just 1 week later... the tip snapped on it when I was taking it outta my bucket... the line got wrapped around a hook on my tip up, didn't see that, and grabbed it...... and SNAP!!!

Now its worthless obviously!
If it would've happened to any of my other poles, It just would've been an excuse to get a new setup, BUT this was my new setup... LOL

Oh well, next up to bat is a Thorne Brothers Panfish Sweet heart!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2010, 02:43 AM »
Quick tip is kind of an inappropriately named for an ice rod.  ;D It's not quick at all, but it does fit the tip curve bend of a quick tip action of a full size rod.  Anyway it's a deadstick rod.

I too find that the small handle area is near useless for a rod holder.   My deadstick rods, do need quite a bit of a handle for setting it on a bucket or milk crate.

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2010, 08:24 AM »
I bought a 24" UL a couple weeks ago, was looking for a Quick-tip one like I saw at scheels, but I had a gift certificate for gander Mt. so I went there to get one, but they didn't have the quick tip pole, so I just got the reg. UL!

I loved it, the pole that is... reel is "eh" its whatever, I dont think reels are too important for my style of panfishin, it does its job!

However My combo was cursed, sure I caught a few fish with it... but it also shot down a hole last weekend, and now today, just 1 week later... the tip snapped on it when I was taking it outta my bucket... the line got wrapped around a hook on my tip up, didn't see that, and grabbed it...... and SNAP!!!

Now its worthless obviously!
If it would've happened to any of my other poles, It just would've been an excuse to get a new setup, BUT this was my new setup... LOL

Oh well, next up to bat is a Thorne Brothers Panfish Sweet heart!

or a Thorne Brothers Power Noodle. I had one built to my specs in December and It`s a great panfish rod. I can jig with it or Deadstick a minnow for crappies.

Bob

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:49 AM »
this is how they market it."i call it a high definition fishing tool-you can actually see the strikes.its soft tip translates the pulsing of a live minnow and the slightest kiss of a bluegill.give it all you got on the hookset,though.theres plenty of backbone.makes for a killer dead-sticking rig as well.    Brian"bro" Brosdahl.                                                                  in my opinion its only good for dead-sticking and thats if you replace the reel.

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2010, 02:32 PM »
i got one of the quick tips at the beginning of the season and have been working the crap outta it jigging with lite jigs and i can say this rod is one of the best rods i have ever used as far as detecting lite bites and getting the hookset..... my reel is top notch with a nice smooth drag....one thing i did notice was just like any lower end rod i had to go through the display and find the best rod..... so maybe it is just your run of the mill inconsistant production problems that are plaguing this model..... i should add this is my first year jigging and not using a bobber so yes it is all new to me but after buying this rod i cant wait to sink my teeth into a more high end fast action rod.... i have two of the outside powernoodles on order and have pickedup two of the jason mitchell meatsticks as well im just waiting on an order of okumas to get to me to get out and try em!
EK

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2010, 03:43 PM »
Ekruger01,
Yowzhers!!! You really like these action type.  Then you might have to look into a Thorne Bros. deadstick for bigger fish.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2010, 05:52 PM »
I am extremely happy with my 27" Quick Tip rod. Good quality, very nice action and nice handle. I got the rod only and saved $12, I know the reels that come with are not very good.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2010, 10:30 PM »
i feel the genz poles are better.i have yet to buy a "bro" product that i was satisfied with but i guess im just unlucky living were i am i have to order everything on line so i cant pick one with the eyelits lined up strait or a reel that works.it was only $5 more with the reel but that would have boght me 2 fiskas ;)2

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2010, 03:30 PM »
Ekruger01,
Yowzhers!!! You really like these action type.  Then you might have to look into a Thorne Bros. deadstick for bigger fish.

yeah i do like them alot i was thinking i would pick up a dead stick or two for next year but have not decided on that or the quiver stick..... and really im a panfish guy so i dont really need anything for bigger fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.