Author Topic: Pacs vs. Insulated boots  (Read 23570 times)

Offline druthrbfishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waitin for the freeze!!
Pacs vs. Insulated boots
« on: Jan 21, 2008, 08:47 PM »
I need new pacs. My old Sorrels are cracked and the felt lining are compressed to the thickness of cardboard. The felt lined boots were great 20 years ago but I know my circulation isn't what it was. Are the new insulated boots as warm as the old pacs with felt liners? I probably won't be walking great distances in them but would like to buy the warmest that have some arch support. Any ideas?

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
Re: Pacs vs. Insulated boots
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2008, 08:53 PM »
i love my 2000gram brownings :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline XUSMC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2008, 08:55 PM »
I have a pair of Cabelas Whitetail extreme boots (1200 Gram) that I use for deer hunting.  I wore these out ice fishing with a good Merrino Wool sock and my feet got cold.  I also have a pair of the Cabelas Trans Alaska III Pac Boots that I usually always wear for ice fishing and I have NEVER had my feet get cold in these.  They have the possibility of having a toe warmer inserted into a pocket on the underside of the booty but I have never needed to put a toe warmer in them.  just the booties, the pacs and a good Merrino Wool sock is all I ever use and my feet stay toasty warm.  Cabelas has them on sale right now for $159.95.

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2008, 09:00 PM »
i have the lacrosse pacs that are black.  they are by far the warmest boot i have ever worn.  i'm not sure what grams of thinsulate they are, but they are warm even in sub zero weather.
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2008, 09:02 PM »
Don't buy the new sorrels...they're not like the old ones were,now they're made in China or someplace and aren't warm at all.I wear pac boots all the time for working and fishing and still like them ,just dry the felt liners out at night. I wear Baffins now and like them(still made in Canada ,I believe) they come rated for different temperatures,ie-40,-60 deg., etc.

Offline XUSMC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2008, 09:04 PM »
The Trans Alaska boots are supposed to be good down to -135 F.

Offline druthrbfishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2008, 09:18 PM »
I was looking at the White pac boots and they don't look as bulky as the Trans-Alaska boot.

Offline zipplebayman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2008, 09:28 PM »
i got insulated rubber boots good for -60 they go up to the knee with a string tie on the end.they r very awesome boots.they r called Ranger for only $45 they r very well worth.thats why i got 2 pair.

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2008, 09:30 PM »
Dude, Cabelas Extreme Predator Pac Boots.  -150F.  On sale now for just over a Hundo!  Had them for about 2 years now.  -55F was the coldest I've been out in them.  Just fine!  Won't be sorry!

XUSMC, you need to change that to "Former", don't you? ;D

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20564-cat20574&rid=&indexId=cat20574&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&parentType=index&parentId=cat20574&id=0020833

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2008, 09:31 PM »
don't bother with any boots at all, just get warm wool socks!
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2008, 09:50 PM »
don't bother with any boots at all, just get warm wool socks!
Just be sure to put some plastic bags over them w/ a little duct tape.  They may get a little wet if you don't!  It's a trick I learned form the homeless on lower Wacker Drive in downtown Chicago! ;D ;D ;D  Also picked up some skills on making a shanty out of an old refrigerator box, but that my friends, is for another day!

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2008, 10:54 PM »
Rocky makes a great pac boot with a removable neoprene liner and 1200 grams thinsulate.I cant even where them unless its well below freezing.Way to hot best thing is the liner wickes away moisture.No sweaty feet.

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2008, 11:39 PM »
Go with Baffin boots...still made in Canada!!

I own these boots...they are very comfortable, super warm and very light.  They are re-enforced with carbon fiber in the front as well, do if you have to travel through the bush on your sled and you take some debris off your feet it won't hurt.  Check them out:

shawno  8)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2008, 02:47 AM »
Trans Alaska's ...5 years old now...easy on / easy off...lightweight, waterproof, the best insulation and support under foot on the market. Warm beyond your wildest dreams....rocker sole makes walking easy.... I studded the soles...no need for uncomfortable cleats. Don't cheap on boots!

On sale...$159.95

Oh Yeah...Cabela's 100% satisfaction guarantee as well.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline walkonwater1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2008, 04:43 AM »
I have been happy with my Lacrosse alpha burly knee highs. 1500g thinsulate. Can stand all day in ankle deep slop and never been cold.
Kids that hunt, trap and fish don't mug little old ladies.

Big moves to find'em, small moves to catch'em!

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2008, 07:14 AM »
I'll second the Cabelas Predator Extreme.  My feet have never been cold in them.  I also have Cabelas 1200 gram rubber Dura Trax.  They are good, but my feet get cold at the end of the day because of the sweat that can't escape.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2008, 07:24 AM »
i got the predator extremems from cabelas for 109.99 and it may be the best money ive spent on boots...they say good to minus 150...sorry i will never be able to tell you if they are lying  :o

Offline mosely

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2008, 12:39 PM »
Pedator extremes here too!  They are fairly light and not too bad to walk in.  I still use a wool sock with liner, I have sweaty feet.  I am thinking about screwing in some sheet metal screws for built in ice cleats.  i am just afraid i will forget about them and walk across the floor in the house.  The breasted one would have a fit if that happened!!!

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2008, 06:48 PM »
Pedator extremes here too!  They are fairly light and not too bad to walk in.  I still use a wool sock with liner, I have sweaty feet.  I am thinking about screwing in some sheet metal screws for built in ice cleats.  i am just afraid i will forget about them and walk across the floor in the house.  The breasted one would have a fit if that happened!!!
I thought about doing the same, only to fear the same!!! ;)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2008, 07:05 PM »
I bought a pair of Lacrosse "Yorktons", and I am very happy with them. They are very similar to The Iceking boots, just a little taller and with a new type of insulation. They are rated to -80F. I rode my wheeler 3.5 miles out on Mille Lacs last Sunday, and the only part of me that wasnt cold was my feet. ;D She was a windy -10F....ish!

I got them for $80, I think they were well worth it.

Offline druthrbfishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2008, 09:00 PM »
Yes I like the look of the Predator Extreme. I also ranch and don't think the nylon and barbed wire would mix too well. They may not be constructed like the old snowmobile boots but the uppers still look like nylon.

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2008, 02:41 PM »
I have the Cabela's Predator Extreme pac as well. I originally bought them for late season bow hunting, but had too much trouble with the climber stand. The boots are pretty bulky and I need to be able to point my toes downward to get down from the tree in my climber. Now I only use them for ice fishing or hunting from the ground and they work great. I have also found that they are too bulky to use any type of strap-on ice cleat. I like the idea of screwing sheet metal screws into the tread for walking on nekkid ice.

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2008, 02:58 PM »
I have also found that they are too bulky to use any type of strap-on ice cleat. I like the idea of screwing sheet metal screws into the tread for walking on nekkid ice.
I use a pair of the Yaktrax Pros, but they are a pain to get on & off, & they barely fit.  I'm thinking I may do the Zip screws in the bottom today.  Who cares what the wife thinks, right?   ;)

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2008, 03:36 PM »
I use a pair of the Yaktrax Pros, but they are a pain to get on & off, & they barely fit.  I'm thinking I may do the Zip screws in the bottom today.  Who cares what the wife thinks, right?   ;)

YEAH!!!  Who cares what the wives think! Screw 'em! The boots that is. ;D

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2008, 10:04 AM »
I ware Muckluks if there is snow.  Much warmer then most boots and a lot lighter.  Like waring bedroom slippers.  If there is ice and I need cleats I ware my old sorels.....

Offline saskman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team CanAm
« Reply #25 on: Jan 28, 2008, 08:36 AM »
do the Cabela's Predator Extreme fit a wide foot?
go to taxidermy, mount it on the wall

Offline gunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 28, 2008, 08:44 AM »
As just about everyone stated "don't cheap on the boots" however make sure you have room for the toes to move around or it really doesn't matter what you wear---you'll have cold feet!!!

Offline kirkville1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2008, 08:12 PM »
I have been happy with my Lacrosse alpha burly knee highs. 1500g thinsulate. Can stand all day in ankle deep slop and never been cold.
me too! best boot and light
Chris Jones
Team Panfish Persuaders
Navionics Ice Team

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 01, 2008, 06:55 PM »
YEAH!!!  Who cares what the wives think! Screw 'em! The boots that is. ;D
I screwed my boots tonight.   ::)  I'll have to see how they do in the am.  1/2" zip hex screws 8W.

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 01, 2008, 06:59 PM »
do the Cabela's Predator Extreme fit a wide foot?
How wide?  I used to always get W boots as a Jarhead.  Mine fit me just fine w/ a good pair of socks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.