Author Topic: I.D.I. Gear Arctic Armor Suit vs. Clam Ice Armour™ Suit  (Read 43397 times)

Offline hrlevi1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hello everyone -

I'm getting ready to make the leap to an ice fishing suit.  I cannot decide between Clam Corporation Ice Armour™ Suit and the IDI Gear Arctic Armor Suit.  Anyone had experience with both?  I feel certain everyone who owns one will say it is best however with out having tried both one really has no sense of comparison. 

Please let me know what your thoughts are and even if there is a better one than those I listed. 

The kind of $$$ they want for these is not spent lightly by me so I'd like to make my investment wisely.  Please advise...

David

Offline seabee

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I've got it bad!
Re: I.D.I. Gear Arctic Armor Suit vs. Clam Ice Armour™ Suit
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2008, 07:44 PM »
I will be watching for responses myself, thanks for posting........ :tipup:

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2008, 07:49 PM »
I have the artic amor suit, and I absolutely love it. My fishing buddy has the ice armour, and he loves it. I don't think you can go wrong either way, unless you buy the blue one. If you do decide to go with the ice armour, get the black and gray one, its a bit more money, but its warmer. I like the red and black one becuase it also acts as a floatation device, floating up to 285lbs. I wear my suit with a t-shirt, and jeans and thats it, and haven't been cold yet. Its your call, either way you can't go wrong.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline fishingrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2008, 07:50 PM »
My buddy loves his ice armor ,he has the  gray one I have the IDI and bought it because it floats .Plain and simple I want to go home at the end of the day .I often get odd days off and end up fishing alone ,so it works for me ,It's warm ,not bulky,and I thought reasonably priced.Don't know if the ice armor floats but thats what sold me.
If your going to go out with the boys,You better get up with the men.

Offline zipplebayman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2008, 07:56 PM »
those r nice suits but i rather  go with my carhartt arctic wear much cheaper and it is still warm.but the nagain if ya gotta dress like an eskimo to go fishing something is wrong lol

Offline rangerdave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2008, 08:17 PM »
I have the ice armour bibs and the strikemaster parka, love them both. Last time out I couldnt where the jacket long because I wore long jons! These clothes are built for ice fisherman. Wind and water resistant, padded knees and butt, and just the right amount of insulation.. The only one I think that stands out is the one that floats. That just makes the perfect suit to me. Im afraid I would become to fearless with that suit though. I always wore my tried and true late winter deer hunting bibs and jacket. My fishing partner turned me on to this stuff and I wish I would have done it sooner. Dry all day, you can kneel in water and not worry.

Worth the cash any way you go        Just my 2Cnts  rangerdave

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2008, 08:30 PM »
Oops, guess my last comment was too riskay!!! :nono:  Sorry Dave! ;D  Looks like yours was too! ;D

Offline ap2049

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2008, 08:53 PM »
You might look at Mustang Ice Riders.  Mustang's gear are designed to float and will drain quickly if you fall in and allows you warm up quickly.

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2008, 09:03 PM »
I have the Arctic armor suit, and I absolutely love it. My fishing buddy has the ice armour, and he loves it. I don't think you can go wrong either way, unless you buy the blue one. If you do decide to go with the ice armour, get the black and gray one, its a bit more money, but its warmer. I like the red and black one because it also acts as a floatation device, floating up to 285lbs. I wear my suit with a t-shirt, and jeans and that's it, and haven't been cold yet. Its your call, either way you can't go wrong.

i have the blue ice armor suit and i think it's pretty warm.  i was fishing a few times last year when the temps were 5 degrees out and the wind chill was in the negatives and i was warm.  i do layer up a little.  on warmer days mid to low 30's i wear a hooded sweatshirt and a pair of long underwear and i'm fine.  on your colder days low to upper 20's i still wear the hooded sweatshirt and long underwear.  only when the temps are in the teens or colder do i wear my entire suit, otherwise i am too warm.
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline bullhead22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2008, 09:13 PM »
hello
i just purchased the artic armour suit in the camo. its awesome, much softer and less stiff than the red suit. i justified the cost by going with the camo as it also works for hunting, especially when i hunt out of a boat, due to the flotation.
since we dont have ice yet i wore it bowhunting in the rain yesterday. a little loud for bowhunting but i stayed dry in the rain.

Offline mr.mack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2008, 10:00 PM »
I have the Ice Armor blue had it for about 3 years now i like it alot never been cold in it but if i was buying a new one i would check out the Artic Armor real close hey it floats just another peice of insurance in my book
<

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2008, 10:08 PM »
I just got the Arctic Armor Red suit.Tried it out when we had ice and its a very warm suit.Very flexible and totally waterproof and windproof.Quality suit.Looked at the others but this ened up showing up at my house!! Wife boguht it for me for Xmas so I guess I cannot complain.All of these suits look to be of good quality but there are some features which make this one stand out from all the rest--IT FLOATS you just in case!!

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2008, 11:12 PM »
those r nice suits but i rather  go with my carhartt arctic wear much cheaper and it is still warm.but the nagain if ya gotta dress like an eskimo to go fishing something is wrong lol

i wear the carhart arctic while ice fishing. works for me. even with the pro deal i can get through the clam corp i still ended up going with carhart mainly because carhart makes some toughest gear out there.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2008, 04:38 AM »
hello
i just purchased the artic armour suit in the camo. its awesome, much softer and less stiff than the red suit. i justified the cost by going with the camo as it also works for hunting, especially when i hunt out of a boat, due to the flotation.
since we dont have ice yet i wore it bowhunting in the rain yesterday. a little loud for bowhunting but i stayed dry in the rain.

Bullhead - even though less stiff and softer material, do you get the sense that it will still hold up well?  4wheeling,branches, brambles, etc.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Moosekill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2008, 06:39 AM »
Bullhead - even though less stiff and softer material, do you get the sense that it will still hold up well?  4wheeling,branches, brambles, etc.  Thanks in advance.

Yep thats my question too.  I'm going to get a set of the bibs, and I'd probably get the camo, just in the off chance I wanted to sit in a tree stand when it was real cold, but if the red is tougher then I'll probably go with it.

Thanks!

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2008, 09:43 AM »
I did a comparison on the 2 suits and the Camo is of a different type of outer layer than the red one is.Its supposed to be a little lighter and quiester for hunting.The red suit I bought is just for ice fishing and it does the job great.I too was going to get the camoo but have enough camo outfits now and don't really want it smelling like fish!! If you go to the Arctic Armor website, I think theres a camparison of the 2 suits. Good luck.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2008, 09:51 AM »
I did a comparison on the 2 suits and the Camo is of a different type of outer layer than the red one is.Its supposed to be a little lighter and quiester for hunting.The red suit I bought is just for ice fishing and it does the job great.I too was going to get the camoo but have enough camo outfits now and don't really want it smelling like fish!! If you go to the Arctic Armor website, I think theres a camparison of the 2 suits. Good luck.

Thanks Pete - I've read the website and was just looking to hear a first hand account of someone with the camo one on what they perceive the durability to be after using it.  I agree, they sound awesome, trying to justify the expense in my mind.

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2008, 10:02 AM »
Yes I know theya re expensive but I saved 2 kids back in 1982 on Lake Ontario in April when they overturned a canoe at 9 PM 1 nite amongst the ice chunks floating around! I didnt have a floater suit then but bought one  a few years agfo to use on my snowmobile up in Ontario where we do alot of lake running.Its stiff and warm but not suited for ice fishing and mobility.I researched them all before buying the Arctic Armor suit.I ALMOST got the camo one but decided on the red one as it has a few more pockets, thick waterproof kneepads and gaiters on the inside of the legs.I wear a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt and its almost too warm if youre moving around alot.Before you order though, make sure of your size, at least in the red suit.I usually wear XL jackets and pants but the Large bibs fit me good with room to spare and the jacket is a XL and it too is somewhat big but leaves room for layering if needed.The sizing cahrt on the website is NOT correct.Bean here on Ice Shanty sells the red ones and is well versed on the sizes and he has pics of the red suit. Hope this helps somewhat.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2008, 10:21 AM »
Hope this helps somewhat.

Yes, very much so. :tipup:

Offline Moosekill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2008, 10:48 AM »
Thanks for the help everyone.  I just got off of the phone with the I.D.I guys.  According to the guy I spoke with there is no difference between the camo and the red suits except for

1. The outer material as already mentioned, and

2. The white lure strip on the red suit above the breast pocket.  The person I spoke with mentioned that the lure strip was going to be removed next year. 

They both have the same number of pockets and they both have reinforcing in the knees and butt.  He said the camo was a lot quieter.  He said both the camo and the red were tough and should last a long time, but he wouldn't say if the red was tougher or not.  One thing he did mention was don't put it in the drier.  I guess at around 180degrees the insulation will melt. 

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2008, 02:02 PM »
I don't see how the red suit is stiff at all? I think its just like wearing a wind breaker if you ask me.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline nhbaitrunner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2008, 03:42 PM »
I have the Blue Ice Armor suit and am very happy with it.  I didn't go with the Black and Grey suit because I like to be able to layer for the weather.  I have been very happy with it.  The padded knees and butt are really nice.  I had looked at the I.D.I suit because it floats which is a nice feature.

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2008, 03:58 PM »
Hi Gang!
  Thanks for the info I was watching also and reading all your comments. Verrrry interesting I might add.  I will buy a suit when it comes out in all dark black.  I wear cheap all black $20 snow bibs with shorts under them and a Black sweat shirt.  In my Fish trap scout thats all black inside it camos me up and the fishing shallows the fish wont see me move.  If any of these companies come out with an all black unit I might buy one.  Those bright blues and reds show down thru ice.  The colors reflect into the ice like a prisim on bright days.  The fish see this I believe.  I will stay in my darkend hut and wear all black for now.  I even wear a black face mask while fishing shallow.  If I am fishing outside the hut the sun warms me wearing the black and keeps me warm.  Even on non sunny days black seems to be warm to the touch.
 This is just what has worked for me for many years.  Let me know if a company comes out with such nice Non -sissy like black color in there bibs and such.  LOL.  I am just kidding guys don't take offense about the sissy comment!  I need all dark flat black tho!
  Da-Roc

Offline CHICKENFOOT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2008, 04:25 PM »
Yes I owned them both, The Clam suit Blue I found to to very cold in the shoulders even with good longjohns.I think the reason being In NJ we fish on Spackle buckets or seats and the wind comes up the back of the suit so I sold it on eBay.. I have since purchased the I.D.I. suit and so far so good.The selling point was the flotation. and the warmth for my money or yours go with IDI suit.

Offline hrlevi1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 15, 2008, 07:55 PM »
Guys - this information has greatly exceeded my expectations.  You all have provided thought-provocing  information.  I think for me it will be the IDI.  I will be purchasing one soon.  I am curious about the leg length.  I am 6 feet 2 inches tall and do not want a set of bibs that are 3 inches too short.  I guess I'll go to FISH307 and try some on to see what fits best.  Then who knows maybe I'll walk away with one...

best regards and a huge thank you for all the information...

David

Offline howesfc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Eirinn go Brach"
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2008, 08:59 PM »
I'm 6' and own arctic armor in XL top and bottom.
Bibs XL 33 " Inseam

I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 15, 2008, 08:59 PM »
I tried the Arctic Armor out tonight. It is about 20 here now with a 15 MPH Northeast wind. Not extremely cold but definitely cold enough to get a good idea of comfort. I too found the Ice Armor suit to be severely lacking in warmth around the shoulders. I had 2 long sleeved shirts on under the Arctic Armor coat tonight and I found my shoulders to be a little cool after a few hours but not uncomfortable. I have no complaints about the bibs. My legs were toasty warm, even sitting in one place. With just a little movement, my shoulders did warm right up. I think a layer of fleece under the coat would be the answer. So far, I am impressed. One thing I don't like, which is entirely cosmetic, is the white fur on the pocket. I think black or charcoal grey would have been more appropriate but that is just my opinion and a minor issue, if an issue at all.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2008, 11:31 AM »
Hi Gang!
  Thanks for the info I was watching also and reading all your comments. Verrrry interesting I might add.  I will buy a suit when it comes out in all dark black.  I wear cheap all black $20 snow bibs with shorts under them and a Black sweat shirt.  In my Fish trap scout thats all black inside it camos me up and the fishing shallows the fish wont see me move.  If any of these companies come out with an all black unit I might buy one.  Those bright blues and reds show down thru ice.  The colors reflect into the ice like a prisim on bright days.  The fish see this I believe.  I will stay in my darkend hut and wear all black for now.  I even wear a black face mask while fishing shallow.  If I am fishing outside the hut the sun warms me wearing the black and keeps me warm.  Even on non sunny days black seems to be warm to the touch.
 This is just what has worked for me for many years.  Let me know if a company comes out with such nice Non -sissy like black color in there bibs and such.  LOL.  I am just kidding guys don't take offense about the sissy comment!  I need all dark flat black tho!

Ah yes the Ninja fisherman!

Back to the subject, I have had the single layer of insulation hunting Camo suit from IDI for 2 years now and it looks like new and has held up very well.   As said do not put it in a dryer on high heat, I hang dry mine outside.  The bibs do run big, I bought large and I'm 5; 11" 190 and they are plenty long enough, I have to cinch up the straps on the bibs pretty good and they are still an inch or better too long with lots of room inside.  If you have a Sportsman's Warehouse in your area they carry most of IDI's stuff at a good price.  They normally have their customer appreciation sale  about this time of year and have 20% off everything.    Or you can get it here also.

http://www.bowhuntingstore.com//index.php?manufacturers_id=166
  Da-Roc

Offline fingerlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If It Smells Good---> EAT IT !! !!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2008, 12:17 PM »
Guys - this information has greatly exceeded my expectations.  You all have provided thought-provocing  information.  I think for me it will be the IDI.  I will be purchasing one soon.  I am curious about the leg length.  I am 6 feet 2 inches tall and do not want a set of bibs that are 3 inches too short.  I guess I'll go to FISH307 and try some on to see what fits best.  Then who knows maybe I'll walk away with one...

best regards and a huge thank you for all the information...

David
I'm 6'2"....have the XL bibs and jacket...love the way they fit and would've regretted getting large...the 1 extra inch inseam on the bibs made all the difference for my long legs!!!   IDI over ice armor all day!!!!

Offline hrlevi1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2008, 11:55 AM »
Hello everyone and thanks for the information and advice.  Due to the information gained here I have decided on and subsequently purchased the IDI Arctic Armor Suit.  I bought the red one and think this is a very wise purchase.  After trying it on I decided on the XL bibs they seemed to fit perfectly (i'm 6'2" - 180lbs).  The issue I have is with the jacket.  When I tried on the Large it seemed perfect however I had nothing other than a dress shirt and tie on.  I tried on the XL and it was definately big however once I factored in the bibs and another shirt or so on underneath I settled on the XL.  Since I live relatively close to FISH307 I purchased these there.  Does anyone know how Fish307 is on returns.  If I decide that the XL jacket is too big I may opt to return it and go with the large, if they allow this...

Best regards and I am one happy and hopefully warm ice fisherman.

David

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.