Author Topic: arctic armor suit  (Read 19841 times)

Offline Fins

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: arctic armor suit
« Reply #60 on: Jan 03, 2010, 07:41 PM »
 I bought this suit so i would not get wet. If i'm going to be wet every time i wear it. I will send it back. Thats crap. I paid pay $319 to be dry.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #61 on: Jan 04, 2010, 08:37 AM »
I think Im glad I bought mine 3 yrs ago  as I have never had the issues Im seeing here one possibility is your wearing it in too warm temps  I wear mine out on the ice wand alot of the times I take the jacket off cause it is too warm   I wear it snowmobiling   and it is perfect   remember to layer your clothes and as you heat up you can remove items 
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline 1mocast

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Jan 04, 2010, 06:24 PM »
i have an arctic armor suit and i love it

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #63 on: Jan 05, 2010, 10:46 AM »
I just got the black suit and im pretty impressed so far, does a great job of cutting the wind and keeping me dry.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #64 on: Jan 05, 2010, 06:21 PM »
wow thats 2  so far just this year!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #65 on: Jan 10, 2010, 01:50 PM »
I bought this suit so i would not get wet. If i'm going to be wet every time i wear it. I will send it back. Thats crap. I paid pay $319 to be dry.

Are you wearing ANY cotton in the areas you are wet?  If you are, DON'T!

The IDI uses your own body heat to keep you warm, if you work up a sweat and are wearing cotton, well....... you stay wet!

I use polypropylene base up and down (even underwear), then have fleece pants and top.  All layers will let moisture escape.

Offline fishingPole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 19, 2010, 12:24 PM »
This is my first season with the Arctic Armor also.  The first time I wore it I went snowmobiling.  I had long underwear and light pants and shirt.  I was comfortably warm, no air seeped in anywhere - great!  Then I wore it getting the snowmobile/trailer hooked up, doing a lot of odds and ends and whatever with the temperature around 32.  When I was done and got in the house, I was surprised to find I was soaked, especially above the waist!  My shirt was wet and even my pants to some degree.  Yes, the shirt and pants had a cotton mix and that's supposedly a no no with this suit. 

I've had it out on the ice now a couple time.  This past weekend temperatures were warm, around 30.  I drove the sled out on the ice, drilled maybe 10 holes, cleaned them out and set up tip-ups.  At that point my shirt under the coat was drenched.  I had on just one layer, again probably the no no fabric cotton I believe.  I've learned to take a change of clothes out on the ice, so I changed the shirt.  I should have changed pants too as they were clammy feeling, but due to too many folks around and no shanty, decided that wasn't in my best interest.  Jigging and tending tip ups the rest of the day, I was very comfortable now with the dry shirt.  Again, this was a warmish 32 degree type day with no wind.

As mentioned in a previous post, and to reiterate, the suit is supposed to insulate against water.  In being so, the material doesn't breath.  It's intended to keep you afloat if you were to find yourself in the drink, and that it will do.  One just has to learn how to dress under it.  I think from now on, when I'm active like drilling holes, I'll take the coat off and wear something lighter then put it back on afterwards.  It is comfortably warm on cold windy days however and worth having it for that reason and especially for it's floatation qualities, the main reason most people buy it.  In colder temperatures, put additional layers on.
Leave it better than you found it

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #67 on: Jan 19, 2010, 01:45 PM »
I'm glad to see other people have this problem after reading so many posts that this suit is the best thing since baseball and moms homemade apple pie. No suit is perfect. I did pick this suit mainly for its flotation qualities I did wish it breathed better but i have learned how to dress better when wearing it so I don't feel like took a shower when I'm not even in the bathroom. Fin

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #68 on: Jan 20, 2010, 07:05 AM »
Good post.
I bought the black jacket and noticed right away that it was wet on the inside after the first outting. I've been trying to figure out what to do. I wear polypropylene for a base layer in my socks and think I need to do the same for under my jacket. I think all this would do is just make the jacket wetter by moving moisture quicker away from my body. Think the best thing to do is just remove it when drilling holes etc....which could be bad in cold and windy conditions. I bought the jacket to wear. It is definitely a warm jacket for very thin insulation. Quite impressive actually.
I think an improvement to the jacket would be to add zip pits and definitely a beefier zipper. The side hand warmer pockets could be bigger too as they are alittle tight to get your hands in (especially when wet).
Their on the right track but need some "continuous improvements". For those that don't have the jacket, I would hold off till they get these issues fixed. That being said, I still like the jacket, but wish I held off too.

JIGGIN.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #69 on: Jan 20, 2010, 11:17 AM »
I have the arctic armour suit and really like it.  It's NOT for 30 deg. days, that's for sure.  I wear an underarmour base, an underarmour hoodie and under armour cold gear longjons.  I "suit up" when I get to the ice and remove the jacket when drilling holes.  Works for me.

I wonder if anyone here has experience with this suit and experience with the mustang suits and can give a good review/comparison.  I know there is a price difference, but it is "life" we are principally concerned with in this case, else we would not be looking at floatation as a feature.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.