Author Topic: Ice Armor  (Read 17791 times)

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice Armor
« on: Oct 15, 2007, 10:02 PM »
Thinking of buying some ice armor and just wondering if anyone can give some feedback...

http://www.clamcorp.com/icearmorX_gray.html

anyone ever used it or had buddies who have it?

Thanks for any info on this product

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Armor
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2007, 10:15 PM »
I have the Ice Armor suit and used it all season last year. and it worked great, very warm. Don't remember it being below 0 much last season but it was 5-10 above quite a few times out on the lake and the wind blew about 20-30mph and I never got cold. breaks the wind very well and has lots of storage pockets. the thing that sold me other that the warmth was the fact that it will keep you afloat if you go in the drink well worth the price for that reason alone.  ;D

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2007, 10:53 PM »
I have the ice armor blue suit very warm even at 20-30 below zero it's almost 4 years old now stands up very well for every day ice fishing if i had the chance to buy  another suit i would with out a doubt it would be Ice Armor..
Hard Ice

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2007, 11:46 PM »
the fact that it will keep you afloat if you go in the drink well worth the price for that reason alone.  ;D

That does sound pretty awesome, however I cant seem to find where it says that. I see it does say waterproof, that would be the main selling feature.

I have the ice armor blue suit very warm even at 20-30 below zero
sounds like some weather I'd put it through, good to know it keeps ya warm in that cold.  :)

Thanks for the info, and any more comments are very much appreciated

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2007, 12:01 AM »
I own an ice armour blue suit and love it. I have been in blowing snow, to rain and it has held up for 3 years.   I would not trade it in except for maybe the gray suit  ;)     

However, I do not believe the ice armour suits are made to float.  ??? I wish they would, that would be a bonus...  The only suits I know of would be the Mustang survival and the ID Gear suits. I have heard great things about these suits also. A friend of mine has the bibs from ID gear and they work great for him.

Good luck on your search...  There are a lot options out there and it will boil down to personal preference....

Sven

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2007, 06:39 AM »
i have ice armor and it is sweet. The padded knee's and butt are priceless for taking a knee or sitting on the ice if necessary. I have kneeled in water for extented periods and not gotten wet at all. At least with the blue suit that i have it really has no warmth to it( Other than being water and wind proof). I consider it like a shell only. I wear underarmor and a fleece outfit under it or underarmor and a goose down layer for the really cold days. And i would hate to think about fishing without it.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2007, 06:45 AM »
other then the price I dont think you will hear anyone say anything bad about an ice armour suit, and it's worth the price, I have had mine for two seasons now, and it is great, warm and dry and easy to move around in

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2007, 04:41 PM »
I own an ice armour blue suit and love it. I have been in blowing snow, to rain and it has held up for 3 years.   I would not trade it in except for maybe the gray suit  ;)     

However, I do not believe the ice armour suits are made to float.  ??? I wish they would, that would be a bonus...  The only suits I know of would be the Mustang survival and the ID Gear suits. I have heard great things about these suits also. A friend of mine has the bibs from ID gear and they work great for him.

Good luck on your search...  There are a lot options out there and it will boil down to personal preference....

Sven
I may be wrong but my Ice Armor suit is made by ID Gear and one tag that came on the suit showed a guy floating on the water with ice all around him. then again mine is red so we may be talking about two different suits called Ice Armor. ???

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2007, 05:24 PM »
Artic armor  has that ad with the guy floating  with it
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2007, 08:44 PM »
I may be wrong but my Ice Armor suit is made by ID Gear and one tag that came on the suit showed a guy floating on the water with ice all around him. then again mine is red so we may be talking about two different suits called Ice Armor. 

Yep we are talking about different suits.  The Blue ice armour suit is made by clam corp.     The blue suit does not float, but the ID gear one does and is red.      Different companies.

If you watch videos of early ice with Dave genz he does have a life jacket.    Not a bad idea anyway....

And arctic armour is different than the ice armour suits and if I am not mistaken, the artic armour will float.

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2007, 11:42 AM »
I stand corrected, It must have been a senior moment. After looking at the suit again, it says Artic Armor my mistake. ;D

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2007, 12:12 PM »
I tell you what it is not hard to do. If they would only call them something completely different instead of riding off of name recognition.

ID gear should call the suit:   Look I have fallen through and it will even hold my a** up.... type suit ;D

All the suits I have encountered are good, from cabelas guide series, mustang survival, ID gear, Ice armour, I am sure they are more....

We digress, I must get ready for work so I can log on there!!! ::)

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2007, 10:07 PM »
Now maybe we should start a thread, called Artic Armor, then I could post again ;D

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2007, 08:52 AM »
Yep we are talking about different suits.  The Blue ice armour suit is made by clam corp.     The blue suit does not float, but the ID gear one does and is red.      Different companies.

If you watch videos of early ice with Dave genz he does have a life jacket.    Not a bad idea anyway....

And arctic armour is different than the ice armour suits and if I am not mistaken, the artic armour will float.

The Arctic armor does keep you from sinking but it is NOT a CG. approved PFD.They do sell them in camo.One layer of good fleece and your good to go in almost any weather,with two layers of fleece nothing should stop you 

Offline CTFishes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2007, 12:03 PM »
Any feedback on riding a quad or snowmobile in the Ice armor suits ? Are they comfortable enough to wear while riding ?

Wondering how it will perform as a snowmobile suit.

I need a new ice fishing outfit and I need a new snowmobile outfit ,hoping to kill two birds with one stone.LOL

Offline jr_the_dj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 23, 2007, 12:05 PM »
I wore mine last year, I take the 3-wheeler everywhere I go.

It worked great for that. The knees are padded so it gives it a bit more insulation from the wind.
Jiffy Ice Drills Pro-Staff
Aqua Vu Pro-Staff
HT Enterprises Pro-Staff
PK Lures Pro-Staff

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2007, 02:21 PM »
Any feedback on riding a quad or snowmobile in the Ice armor suits ? Are they comfortable enough to wear while riding ?

Wondering how it will perform as a snowmobile suit.

I need a new ice fishing outfit and I need a new snowmobile outfit ,hoping to kill two birds with one stone.LOL
I don't know about the Ice Armor suit but I can tell you that the Artic Armor suit is comfortable when riding a wheeler.   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 23, 2007, 04:37 PM »
to the guys who bought this product, how was sizing? any need to upsize or downsize for proper fit?

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 23, 2007, 05:45 PM »
I bought a large    I am 5'10" and 215lbs,  I can put on a couple extra layers with no real issues.    Long underwear, sweat pants, or wool pants on the real cold days.

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 23, 2007, 06:26 PM »
Love  mine. Have had it the last 2 winters. Warn keeps ya dry. Padded knees are the best. It so nice when jigging from hole to hole and your down on your knees. It's a little balky but other then that 2 thumbs up. wouldn't trade it for the world. The only thing I wish they would do is bring it out in more colors then just the Blue. I know that's clam colors but I would still add colors.  They now have the extreme armor too and thats grey and black. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Oh lots a pockets to loose stuff in too ;D ;D ;D . And don't do what I did with it either. We were out on a new lake and it was slow so we jumped on the tailgate of truck with vex and power auger to do some scouting and after the second or third time back on tail gate holding auger could smelt something burning.
Hmmmm muffler was against coat pocket and melted it a little. :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:live and learn I guess. >:(
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 23, 2007, 08:16 PM »
I have a pair and I also have friends that use them when they ride their snowmobile.  I heard nothing bad from the guys that do use them for this reason.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 25, 2007, 01:43 PM »
I found the sizing a little confusing. I'm pretty stocky 5'9", 260 lb, and since you can only buy the suit complete, meaning you can't mix and match sizes, I found the 2xl bibs fit great, but the 2xl jacket is a little big for me. Try them on before you buy.

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 25, 2007, 07:12 PM »
Unfortunately I cant try any on as I am in Canada, and there are no stores within a 10 hour radius.  Im thinking of getting an XL due to sizes on the site, and what some other people have said.
I'm 6'1-6'2 and roughly 215 pounds...think XL would be good?

Anyone else who has this product please speak up about your sizing  ;)

Offline JamesP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Oct 25, 2007, 09:36 PM »
               Sounds like you and me are the exact same size.  I got a x-large last year and it fits me just fine.  Usually wear set of long jons , blue  jeans T shirt  Insulated  shirt Hooded sweat shirt, and the Blue  Ice armor.  Never any problem.  Go for the Xlarge.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Oct 26, 2007, 02:31 PM »
are you close to winnipeg? If so, your more than welcome to try mine on.

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Oct 28, 2007, 09:29 PM »
hey, thanks for the offer but im in calgary ;)

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Oct 29, 2007, 12:27 PM »
I know the fishin hole won't deal with clam corp, and wholesale sports  is in bed with frabill....  is there not a clam dealer in calgary at all??

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Oct 29, 2007, 05:24 PM »
nope, unfortunately not. Ordered my ice armor on the weekend though, went for an XL judging from the sizing chart and some replies on here I think this should fit perfect.
Thanks! ;D

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 19, 2007, 10:58 PM »
Just a follow up,
Got my ice armor in the mail last week, ordered from red rock stores...great service. Ice armor looks great/fits great, should be on the ice this weekend so I will give a report  ;)

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 20, 2007, 03:10 PM »
glad it fit you well. You will be happy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.