Author Topic: what type of boots do you wear on the ice...  (Read 19077 times)

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
Re: what type of boots do you where on the ice...
« Reply #30 on: Feb 10, 2006, 10:01 PM »
Bought a new pair of Rocky Icestalkers gonna try them out tommorow. They have built in fold down cleats and are rated for -40.  ;D

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 12, 2006, 08:27 AM »
ive had rockys,sorels...still cold feet. got pair mickey mouse boots this year. no more cold toes!! :clap: they are crazy warm! anyone out there with cold foot syndrome these. are the boots 4 u. lot of them on ebay.
I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #32 on: Feb 12, 2006, 01:24 PM »
My rocky lynx have been with me for 3 yrs now and work as they did when I first got them.Best boots Ive had so far, use em for hunting and fishing.extremely warm and comfortable.
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Offline rbud3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 27, 2006, 03:28 AM »
Have a pair of Mickey Mouse boots this year.
So far so good!!!
Has any one modified the bottoms(screws??) for traction?

Offline pro50guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Nov 02, 2006, 09:56 PM »
if im not in my shanty i use browning 2000 gr rubbers. plenty warm and never wet feet
"you can pick your nose and your friends can pick there nose, but you cant pick your friends nose"-john fickel     "equal opportunity for everyone special treatment for no one"-jesse james

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Nov 03, 2006, 06:57 AM »
4 years ago, I bought a pair of Guide Gear boots from sportsmans guide, rated to -125 for about $60 and haven't had cold feet since.  4 years and they are still just like new.  This year I got a pair of LaCrosse Ice Kings, not because I needed them, but because I got a deal that was too hard to resist. 

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Nov 03, 2006, 07:52 AM »
I have always worn LaCrosse Ice Kings and cannot remember a time that my feet were cold. Last ice I will wear some Columbia accelerators rated down to -45. They are lighter and easier to get around with. Keep-em toasty! :thumbsup:

Offline spoonfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just one more
« Reply #37 on: Nov 03, 2006, 08:20 AM »
 i'm looking into getting a pair of mickey mouse boots off ebay and would like to know from the guys who have them if they run true to size of normal boots?

only keep what you're gonna eat
                                                            MIRC

Offline bbmonkey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Nov 03, 2006, 11:21 AM »
i'm looking into getting a pair of mickey mouse boots off ebay and would like to know from the guys who have them if they run true to size of normal boots?

I bought a pair last year on ebay. I was warned that they run large so I ordered a size smaller than I normally wear. They were still too big. So be careful when ordering. They run large.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Nov 03, 2006, 12:22 PM »
Mickeys are nice.  I would check the price at Sportsmansguides website first, just so you have a price to go off of before you bid. 

Offline icechip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Nov 03, 2006, 12:54 PM »
I hear lots of talk in previous posts about Temp ratings. I say that is very missleading. I was in -125 boots and my feet got cold at -35. Kind of like buying XL size on something made in China and it won't fit my small frame son ???
Different standards I guess. Kind of like mpg ratings on a car (if the road is downhill with a tailwind)

I have 1200 gram blizard stalkers when I want to travel lots on ice. Other times I use my MM boots but they seem a bit heavy for my tired legs to go far.

Offline IcePro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Have Fish House Will Travel"
« Reply #41 on: Nov 03, 2006, 01:31 PM »
Typically boots are rated for being active, not standing still on the ice.  As long as you are moving and the blood is flowing your feet will be warm.

Also DO NOT wear your boots inside your vehicle, put them on when you get to the lake.  This prevents your feet from getting hot & sweaty, also be sure to wear a good pair of socks that will wick the moisture away. (no cotton)
It must be ICE FISHING SEASON, my wife has increased my "Life Insurance Policy"

Offline icechip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Nov 03, 2006, 01:40 PM »
Typically boots are rated for being active, not standing still on the ice.  As long as you are moving and the blood is flowing your feet will be warm.

Also DO NOT wear your boots inside your vehicle, put them on when you get to the lake.  This prevents your feet from getting hot & sweaty, also be sure to wear a good pair of socks that will wick the moisture away. (no cotton)

Then I would be warm in my hole filled running shoes at -40.  I have to stop sometime to fish ;D
If I'm walking more than half a mile then I pack my boots to my fishing spot. Yes for sure, never where your boots in vehicle. It is always nice to slip them off after a day of on ice and walking, then into the driving runners.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Nov 03, 2006, 02:01 PM »
I bought boots rated to -125 in hope of my feet staying warm up to -30.  Once the hole starts freezing shut in 9 seconds flat, I usually call it a day.   

Offline Pete379

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Nov 18, 2006, 08:00 PM »
I wear Rocky Blizzard Stalkers also. One pair of cotton socks and a second wool blend pair. Seems to the best set up I have had in awhile. The Rockies seem to hold up well and would recomend them to anyone.  :)
...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy.  ~William Sherwood Fox

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #45 on: Nov 22, 2006, 04:19 PM »
Rocky Deer Stalker Extreme's I   only wear a pair of cotton socks, ;D  warm all day
How are the edges ?

Offline holmes76

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • from P.G. in B.C.
« Reply #46 on: Nov 22, 2006, 04:29 PM »
i went ice fishing for the first time last year in running shoes because i didn't own any boots.feet got soaked ,i got a cold and then proceeded to pass the cold around to the rest of my family.so my parents bought me a pair of kamiks for Christmas and my feet have been warm and dry ever since. :)

Offline Zee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Nov 22, 2006, 04:44 PM »
Last year I wore some cheap boots that kep my feet warm, but were not water proof, and my feet were soaked as by the end of the day.

Lacrosse Backcountry PFT is my boot of choice this year.

Good advice about not wearing the boots in the truck.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Nov 22, 2006, 05:14 PM »
I wear La Crosse Ice kings when it is gloriously frigid, and Rocky 600 gram Thinsulate rubber boots (Buckstalkers  ???) when springtime creeps in. Sweat = cold feet. The same boots that are comfortable at -10F can be cold at 30F, thats why I switch to the lighter (and more waterproof) Rockies in the spring.

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #49 on: Nov 22, 2006, 06:13 PM »
La Cross Ice Kings, I wear a pair of cotton sox (more to help keep my feet dry, than warm.) I wear my Ice Kings pretty much every day from Dec. - Mar. (I work construction) and my feet never get cold!!

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline madpistoleer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Nov 22, 2006, 06:30 PM »
Wal-Mart......Whatever was on sale. If feet get cold, head to shack and grab another beer and jig for a bit,,,,,,,(finish beer) grab another beer and go back out.
Remember! 'I' before 'E' (Except in Budweiser).

Offline fishincrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The meaning of life is fishing with your friends.
« Reply #51 on: Nov 22, 2006, 06:42 PM »
Soreal, i wouldn't have anything other than that brand, The best in my opinion!
All I need is ice and the fish will come.

Offline walleyes4*u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Home of the Free !!!!!!!!
« Reply #52 on: Nov 23, 2006, 07:02 AM »
Ice Kings all the way :thumbsup:

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #53 on: Nov 23, 2006, 07:34 AM »
field and stream 1000 gram thinsulate rubbers!!!!!  rated to -65 and for 3 seasons they have worked fine.  Waterproof and toasty, although last season I coulda gotten away with teva's.  I'm with everyone r.e. the temp ratings of boots.  I start feeling chilly at about -15 if I'm not moving or in the shanty, but if the bite is on outside the shack, there's always hand warmers that double amazingly as foot warmers

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline g3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • life is good!
« Reply #54 on: Nov 23, 2006, 07:54 AM »
mickey mouse boots i bought on e-bay

Offline oldken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Nov 23, 2006, 08:54 AM »
i have had my lacross ice kings for 10 years. can't beat them. i don't know about the made in china ones but the made in the states ones can't be beat in my opinion. i have one more new pair set aside for when i need them

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #56 on: Nov 23, 2006, 10:21 AM »
If you have a pair of iceman boots,you can upgrade them with ice king liners. Ice king replacement liners are not much more than the iceman felt liners. It seems that the felt liners "wear out" after a few seasons, so its a good idea to repace them once in a while.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Nov 23, 2006, 11:03 AM »
I've fished out of a pair of Sorel Ice Fishers now for around 8-9yrs.  They probably dont even make them anymore.  They are an extremly warm 100% waterproof boot that was well worth the 100$.  Never been cold never been wet even fished in -25 degree temps.

Offline oldwolf

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My first wife hated fishing!!
« Reply #58 on: Nov 24, 2006, 03:08 PM »
I use Sorrel Conquests when it's cold and sloppy and I won't be moving around a lot. When it's dry and cold I use a pair of Hi-Tech's rated to -20F and gaiters.

Offline biggeorge50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Nov 26, 2006, 04:35 PM »
I'll be the first (and probably only) one to say Irish Setters.  1600 gm Buck Trackers when it's real cold, I don't know the model 800 gm leather when it's 20 or above.  Used to have some cheap felt lined rubber boots that I got at Canadian Tire for around $40 that were quite good.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.