Author Topic: what kinda boots do you wear for ice fishing...  (Read 21146 times)

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: what kinda boots do you wear for ice fishing...
« Reply #60 on: Jul 18, 2010, 07:41 PM »
Lacrosse Ice Kings. 

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #61 on: Jul 18, 2010, 08:19 PM »
Ranger Summits with the 200 gm Thinsulate liner....not too hot, just right outside the shack and in.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #62 on: Jul 18, 2010, 09:26 PM »
The last few years I've been wearing Rocky (I think Blizzard's) 1200 gram Thinsulate.  The are really nice and have no real complaints, but on REAL cold days my feet get cold fast.  I also have a pair of Cabela's 800 gram knee high rubber boots for late ice when things slush up a bit.  This spring I found a pair of Cabela's Saskatchewan boots on sale for $100, could not pass that up.  They are basically the Trans-Alaskan boot but camo and scent-lok.  I actually am excited to wear them this winter and can't wait.  I must have poor circulation because I always end up with cold feet.  I do alot of hole hopping and standing on the ice, and with the 3" of insulating distance between my foot and the ice I shouldn't have any problems.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #63 on: Jul 22, 2010, 04:57 PM »
The last few years I've been wearing Rocky (I think Blizzard's) 1200 gram Thinsulate.  The are really nice and have no real complaints, but on REAL cold days my feet get cold fast.  I also have a pair of Cabela's 800 gram knee high rubber boots for late ice when things slush up a bit.  This spring I found a pair of Cabela's Saskatchewan boots on sale for $100, could not pass that up.  They are basically the Trans-Alaskan boot but camo and scent-lok.  I actually am excited to wear them this winter and can't wait.  I must have poor circulation because I always end up with cold feet.  I do alot of hole hopping and standing on the ice, and with the 3" of insulating distance between my foot and the ice I shouldn't have any problems.

If you get sweaty feet like I do, just get some anti-perspirant spray and apply it to your feet. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #64 on: Jul 27, 2010, 08:04 PM »
That could be the problem too, spray is not a bad idea.  This last year I started wearing 'SmartWool' socks, I got a pair from my wife's grandma for x-mas and like them alot. 

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #65 on: Jul 28, 2010, 08:31 AM »
My cold feet problems were from too much sock and not enough boot! I bought the baffin impacts and now I wear thin white tube socks. The same socks I wear all year in my work boots.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline tbfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH SAFE FOR YOUR LOVED ONES
« Reply #66 on: Jul 28, 2010, 08:57 AM »

Black Mickey Mouse boots.  My feet never get cold even when the boots are constantly in 3 inches of ice cold water for hours on end.

Bob
Fish Safe For Your Loved Ones

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Jul 28, 2010, 11:18 AM »
Black Mickey Mouse boots.  My feet never get cold even when the boots are constantly in 3 inches of ice cold water for hours on end.

Bob
I swore by black mickeys for years. I swore to myself they were the best. Even though my feet were cold, and I was fishing, they must be good, right? I can tell you that I have friends that sit beside me with cold feet inside mickeys. I take my foot out of my baffins and they can' believe it. Dry and warm. Like I said, I know how mickeys keep your feet warm and I tried every kind of twenty dollar sock made in them. Even the womans nylons trick. My feet still froze so bad I could not think about fishing. They may work for some, but not all. If anyone reads this post and their feet get cold in mickeys, try some baffins.

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Jul 28, 2010, 12:15 PM »
Still wearing my Rangers.(waiting for the lake to freeze)....

Offline tbfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jul 28, 2010, 01:04 PM »
I swore by black mickeys for years. I swore to myself they were the best. Even though my feet were cold, and I was fishing, they must be good, right? I can tell you that I have friends that sit beside me with cold feet inside mickeys. I take my foot out of my baffins and they can' believe it. Dry and warm. Like I said, I know how mickeys keep your feet warm and I tried every kind of twenty dollar sock made in them. Even the womans nylons trick. My feet still froze so bad I could not think about fishing. They may work for some, but not all. If anyone reads this post and their feet get cold in mickeys, try some baffins.

michianafisherman..... .I found personally myself if Mickey Mouse Boot were too tight on your feet and the air valve was left opened then your feet got cold.
 The best results are with a size larger then you take and the air valve closed so the air gets trapped between the 7 layers of insulation in the Boots and is heated
by your feet.
 I also just use one pair of socks.
 One thing I really like about the Mickey Mouse Boots if you do get a boot full of water is that you just take it off and pour the water out and take your wet sock off and put the boot back on your foot and it  will warm up.
 Had this happen to myself on Skeleton Lake near Bracebridge Ont in -27 degrees and I thought that's it, I have to go home now but wasn't the case and fished for 4 more hours.

Of course some of us are becoming old Foggies with circulation problems so there is no wonder boot for everybody.

Bob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Jul 29, 2010, 05:58 AM »
michianafisherman..... .I found personally myself if Mickey Mouse Boot were too tight on your feet and the air valve was left opened then your feet got cold.
 The best results are with a size larger then you take and the air valve closed so the air gets trapped between the 7 layers of insulation in the Boots and is heated
by your feet.
 I also just use one pair of socks.
 One thing I really like about the Mickey Mouse Boots if you do get a boot full of water is that you just take it off and pour the water out and take your wet sock off and put the boot back on your foot and it  will warm up.
 Had this happen to myself on Skeleton Lake near Bracebridge Ont in -27 degrees and I thought that's it, I have to go home now but wasn't the case and fished for 4 more hours.

Of course some of us are becoming old Foggies with circulation problems so there is no wonder boot for everybody.

Bob

I am over fifty so I consider myself and old foggie also. I have had 3 pairs of mickeys in my lifetime. You know how long they last. My first was a little loose with no air valve, the second pair had an air valve, that I kept closed with no air in it, and the last pair was the white ones. My toes would freeze in all of them. I could walk around and make them feel better/tolerable but not what I wanted. Not that I can't take the cold, I would have quit fishing years ago if the cold bothered me. What did bother me though was the fact that I wasn't smart enough to keep my feet from freezing or being uncomfortable. Money also was an issue with young kids to feed and clothe so that was also a decision maker in my choice of boot. Availability was another. We can always find the surplus mickey's laying around. I even went to the felt pack model boots from Kmart because that's all I could find and I needed boots. Ended up wearing them for eight seasons. I tried to find better boots but no-one stocks expensive boots for a seasonal sale. They will keep the cheap ones on the shelf though. I ended up driving over 200 miles to different sport shops/bait shops and chain stores looking for a better boot. The closest thing I found was at the snowmobile shops. But I didn't want my boots to say artic cat or something. They weren't tall enough either. They were made for riding in the snow not walking in it. Anyway that's when I made up my mind to spend some money for some real boots. My kids are grown so why not? The best thing I ever bought for ice fishing.

Here are some pictures of my boots.

My Granddaughter fit nicely in one boot. Notice my son has on some white mickey's. I can't talk him out them, even though his toes are cold most of the time. I go through allot of packs of toe warmers for him just so we can stay out longer.

Offline tbfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jul 29, 2010, 09:30 AM »

michianafisherman....T hanks for the detailed report and pictures of your boots. [Granddaughters Picture Is Priceless].
 They certainly look rugged yet comfortable and warm and I really like the height of them. That is about the only negative issue I have with my
Mickey Mouse Boots is they aren't very high.
 I will certainly look for Baffins here in Ontario because I hate ordering something that has to go through Customs because they might make it here
by Spring. LOL.
 We do have a very good little Sporting Goods Store called Riverside Outdoors here in Thunder Bay Ontario who carries high end stuff like IceArmour
Snowsuits and Snopro Snowsuits so I will check it out with him and maybe he will get the Baffins for me.

Bob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Jul 29, 2010, 11:08 AM »
Your welcome! Hope your feet never get cold again. Most of the reason I can't find the boots in my area is because the seasons are too short. That doesn't mean its not cold. We get lake effect conditions from Lake Michigan. If I can't fish when its extreme conditions, I would only fish a few times per year. If you do get some Impacts you will like how easy they go on and off, even using gloves.

Offline tbfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Jul 29, 2010, 03:23 PM »
Your welcome! Hope your feet never get cold again. Most of the reason I can't find the boots in my area is because the seasons are too short. That doesn't mean its not cold. We get lake effect conditions from Lake Michigan. If I can't fish when its extreme conditions, I would only fish a few times per year. If you do get some Impacts you will like how easy they go on and off, even using gloves.

michianafisherman, I just found out a bonus for myself is that the Baffin Boots are made in Canada and a Major Nationwide Department Store carries them [Markwork's WorkWare House] so I will have to shop early so they will have them in stock.

We had a milder winter then usual last year with very little snow, so I am expecting it to be worse this year with bitterly cold temperatures.
 Great for making ice though. Yahoooooooo.
 I know all about lake effect conditions, I do a lot of my fishing on Lake Superior but I do try to Ice Fish in somewhat Sheltered Bays.
 Not really into trolling on an icefloe to the middle of Lake Superior. LOL. LOL.

Bob

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Jul 29, 2010, 08:42 PM »
I use the Rocky Blizzard Stalkers 1200 g thinsulate.    Thwey have worked great for me for the last 5 years.

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #75 on: Sep 13, 2010, 09:40 PM »
http://www.bogsfootwear.com/

Check em out... They're as good as it gets!
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline BobOlink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Sep 19, 2010, 09:00 AM »
Cabelas Trans Alasken III get my vote
Bob P.

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Oct 22, 2010, 07:18 AM »
I bought a pair of Lacrosse Alpha Rackmaster 800G Pac 8" Boots in early '09. I really like them alot. Very light and comfortable. I think they are discontinued now because I can't find them on the Lacrosse website.

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Oct 22, 2010, 07:27 AM »
http://www.bogsfootwear.com/

Check em out... They're as good as it gets!

Ive got the Bogs, GREAT boots, never once had even a cool foot, nevermind a cold one!!

-Scott

Offline edmonds

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Oct 22, 2010, 07:37 AM »
Cabelas Trans Alasken III get my vote

Another Vote for the Trans Alaskan

Offline Krazykaiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Oct 24, 2010, 09:23 AM »
Ive got the Bogs, GREAT boots, never once had even a cool foot, nevermind a cold one!!

-Scott

The Bogs Boots and Muck Boots kinda look very similar ;D
  I own The Muck Boot Arctic Sport. I must say that my feet stay very warm.   I use them not only for fishing but lots of other things to keep my feet dry.     I see Muck has come out with a newer Arctic Version with some small design changes and a -60 warmth rating .   Anyone Tried these yet?? 

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #81 on: Oct 24, 2010, 10:07 AM »
Cabelas Trans Alaskans are the best boot I have ever worn

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Oct 26, 2010, 09:03 PM »
wolverines! warm, waterproof, durable, and comfy! also pretty cheap, got mine for $45. the ones i have are oil resistant too, so good work boots as well. be careful, though! if you do a lot of hard hiking, your feet will sweat, i find that the best sock combo to go with these is a pair of polypropylene socks with a pair of thick wool socks. you want the boots to be snug but not so snug that they restrict toe movement

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Oct 27, 2010, 06:26 AM »
wolverines! warm, waterproof, durable, and comfy! also pretty cheap, got mine for $45. the ones i have are oil resistant too, so good work boots as well. be careful, though! if you do a lot of hard hiking, your feet will sweat, i find that the best sock combo to go with these is a pair of polypropylene socks with a pair of thick wool socks. you want the boots to be snug but not so snug that they restrict toe movement
How much were the socks? Add that to the price of the $45 dollar boot. If you have to buy special socks for your boots they may not be as good as you think. I am only saying this because a good pair of boots equals cheep socks, not the other way around.

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Oct 29, 2010, 08:50 AM »
sorels are my choice with korkers for traction

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #85 on: Oct 29, 2010, 06:26 PM »
Lacrosse Alpha Lite Icemans.  They're OK, but my feet seem to get cold in everything I wear.  Has anyone tried the Ice armor Oynx boots?  Just wonderin how they are.  Fin

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Oct 29, 2010, 06:40 PM »
I just wear some rubber, thinsulate insulated brand from wally world. Weren't real expensive but they keep my feet warm, not that I typically get cold anyhow. Only issue I have with them is that they cracked from the bending that happens when you kneel down and that they are a little heavy to be trekking across the lake in (I walk out). The crack can be fixed so its not a big deal.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #87 on: Nov 05, 2010, 11:14 AM »
For me, I need 2 pairs of boots for Ice Fishing.

One for dry / cold / snowy conditions. I use the Cabela's Trans Alaska Goretex Boots.

One for wet / slushy / cold / warmer conditions. I use the Lacrosse 1500 Alpha Burlys.

Having these 2 pairs of boots, I'm able to go out in any weather conditions. Both pairs matched up to Stablicers creepers.

JIGGIN.

Offline wiskeyfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I don't exaggerate... I just remember BIG!"
« Reply #88 on: Nov 05, 2010, 11:18 AM »
Dakotas from marks work warehouse. They are big muk luks rated fo -100 celcius

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Nov 05, 2010, 06:22 PM »
Going with the lacrosse alpha burly ATV 1200 this yr.
 I ll use my corkers, on slick ice, with them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.