Author Topic: Should I screw my boots?  (Read 23522 times)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Should I screw my boots?
« on: Oct 31, 2009, 07:33 PM »
I am sick of ice cleats and other traction products that always seem to be falling off because of a broken strap. None of them work for crap on a size 14 pac boot anyway.

I was wondering how many of you guys put traction screws in the bottoms of your boots? What are the advantages and disadvantages of screws? What kind of screws did you get and where did you get them?

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Should I screw my boots?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2009, 08:54 PM »
I'm in the same boat or boot myself. Just can't bring myself to put screws in my predators, any advice?

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2009, 09:00 PM »
3/8 zip screws work.... But dont walk in the house with them or in the diner or bar or any  place else but the ice.. You will get yelled at. At least I did... ;D ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2009, 09:06 PM »
That is what I was thinking, I would walk into the house and my wife would hurt me. I usually dont put my boots or bibs on until I get to the lake because my pickup heater kicks butt! Before that, I fished out of a DX-3000 Shappell and I was afraid of wrecking the floor. I bought a Fish Trap Voyager two seasons ago so this is no longer an issue.

The oly thing I am still worried about is wrecking my boots. They are pretty new and I dont want to make swiss cheese out of the sole if screws dont work that well.

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2009, 09:09 PM »
   Skipper when I read this subject; All I could think of is This boys' been fishing WAYY - TOOO - LOONG!  ::);D.......Relieved to see that it is about Traction on ICE. ;D.....Only advise is:  I wouldn't use 3in screws,....Lou
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline dalwhe1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2009, 09:17 PM »
  Skipper when I read this subject; All I could think of is This boys' been fishing WAYY - TOOO - LOONG!  ::);D.......Relieved to see that it is about Traction on ICE. ;D.....Only advise is:  I wouldn't use 3in screws,....Lou

:woot: :roflmao: :roflmao: The minds of iceshanty   :thumbsup:

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2009, 09:18 PM »
I have a size14 boot and I cant find anything to fit them.. So when its glare ice I have 2 lengths of clothes line rope that are about 3 ft long that I rap and tie around where I need traction...Thats the only advice I can give..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2009, 09:45 PM »
PUT THE SCREWS TO YER BOOTS!  ;D
I did it and don't regret the action.  I used #8 stainless, hex head, sheet metal screws, 1/2".  I made "pilot" holes using a 3/8 screw of the same type, and ground approx. 1/8" of the point off the 1/2" screws (more thread holding area that way) before putting them into the pilot holes.  Got them at the local hardware store.
They held up last season without one problem - no loose or lost "studs".
Advantage - Easy, comfortable walking and NO SLIPPING.
Disadvantage - don't wear them into places of business or the house.

I always put my boots and outside layers on when I get to the ice anyways.  I like driving/riding in comfort.

Offline bohman77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2009, 07:49 AM »
I just posted about the Ididorod boots that I have and they are so tall that no cleat that I have found will fit. I just took self tapping screws and patterned them on the bottom. They seem to work pretty good. I still fall time to time but I think its more that I'm really uncoordinated. Try it if you want.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2009, 08:32 AM »
I have never screwed my boots! I use the stretch on kind. If you want to try something, you could take some Shoe Goo and put a drop on your boot and set a stud into the glue, and let it dry. Do this in various locations and you haven't ruined your boot.
I agree don't walk into the house or restaurant with any studs in your boots.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 04, 2009, 10:24 AM »
definitely put short sheet metal screws in the bottom of my Lacrosse Ice man boots and I would never go back to the slip on cleats.  Yes you have to be careful where you walk but-------on the ice --------they are great

Offline Michigan Mafia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 04, 2009, 10:44 AM »
only if they made you dinner... just sayin  :P

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #12 on: Nov 04, 2009, 10:47 AM »
I screwed my boots and it has been very enjoyable. I may even try screwing my shoes some day. :P

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 04, 2009, 11:17 AM »
I would get these if they weren't so expensive($59.00). They are like the Cabela's boot chains ($14.99) but with spikes added to them. I bought the boot chains last year and they are ok but when you start hand drilling a hole, you start to slide around on the ice. The spikes in these would be really helpful.

http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes.html

These were in the In-Fisherman 2010 Ice Guide
jbird68

Offline Youcanttuna Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 04, 2009, 11:28 AM »
My son races motorcycles and I grabbed a few of his shorter (1/2") ice screws. Work awsome. Put 7 in each boot and no slippage anywhere. Cost about a dollar. Not good for hardwood floors however.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #15 on: Nov 04, 2009, 12:23 PM »
Not good for the carpet in my shanty either.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2009, 11:53 AM »
Does anyone know where you could get rubber sheets? If you could fine some rubber the size of your shoe, you could make your own. sew a couple straps onto it.
Screwing into your boots seems like an awesome idea but now you can only wear them on the ice. What if you need to pick up milk on the way home?? Gotta bring a pair of shoes with you, and if you leave them in the car... BRRRRR

Offline doodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You gotta love the hard water.
« Reply #17 on: Nov 09, 2009, 12:07 PM »
I do fine with the Yak traks

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #18 on: Nov 09, 2009, 01:30 PM »
Does anyone know where you could get rubber sheets? If you could fine some rubber the size of your shoe, you could make your own. sew a couple straps onto it.
Screwing into your boots seems like an awesome idea but now you can only wear them on the ice. What if you need to pick up milk on the way home?? Gotta bring a pair of shoes with you, and if you leave them in the car... BRRRRR
I take my boots off for the drive home. The only time I don't is when I fish at a lake that is only ten minutes away. Other than that my feet would be to hot, or too hard to use the brake and gas.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #19 on: Nov 09, 2009, 01:35 PM »
I do fine with the Yak traks

I love mine! Except for when I went out smelt fishing last year on slick ice and when I came in off the ice I only had 1 set! Not sure how or where I lost the other one or how I didnt notice it was gone walking in!  ;D ;D ;D  :o
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Trooper Bri

« Reply #20 on: Nov 09, 2009, 09:52 PM »
I screwed my boots 4 years ago. Slotted hex head stainless screws. Every boot has it's own tread thickness, so use the longest you can without piercing other layers. I went with slotted hex heads for that little bit of extra traction.
My ice fishing boots are dedicated, so studing them wasn't a problem. And they're too big to wear off the ice, so no problem there either.

Pros: One less thing to have to bring along. If you have your boots, you have both.
Quieter and lighter than most other cleats. Cheaper, especially if you can get them via the Good Ol' Boy network.

Cons: Not quite as much traction as cleats, and there is one condition that makes them sketchy. Glare ice with 2-5 inches or so of fresh loose snow. It'll pack under your foot, and the screws don't touch. ZING!
And of course the fact that you are putting sheet metal screws in your boots. That kind of seals the deal, they're ice boots now.
Since they aren't spikes, they wear quickly if you walk on pavement.

If you do go down the boot screwer trail, also make sure you put some in where the heel and toe curve. This will allow for an even more natural stride without slipage. And don't be afraid to use a bunch. I have about 25 or more per boot. The number goes up a little every year. ;)
I'm 215lbs or so, and do occasionally find a missing screw. But I also change the worn ones as needed. If you have soft soles boots, you may have more screw loss and eventual tear-out. My soles are pretty stiff, and I've only had to relocate a few screws over 4 years or so.

Offline GotEmHooked

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 09, 2009, 10:00 PM »
That is what I was thinking, I would walk into the house and my wife would hurt me. I usually dont put my boots or bibs on until I get to the lake because my pickup heater kicks butt! Before that, I fished out of a DX-3000 Shappell and I was afraid of wrecking the floor. I bought a Fish Trap Voyager two seasons ago so this is no longer an issue.

The oly thing I am still worried about is wrecking my boots. They are pretty new and I dont want to make swiss cheese out of the sole if screws dont work that well.

hey skipper i have the voyager and i hate the seats!!!!!.....any advice i see your a big guy as well as i am so i am sure you are prolly not a big fan of the seats!

Offline IceFishinJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Alcoholic
« Reply #22 on: Nov 09, 2009, 10:12 PM »
I put screws into the bottom of my mickeys a few years ago and belive it was one of the best things I ever did. Now pretty much everyone that I fish with have done the same.

Joe

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #23 on: Nov 10, 2009, 08:17 AM »
I did it to a pair of pac boot 15 + years ago there fantastic. I agree the screws for ice racing should work great.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 10, 2009, 08:36 AM »
Just make sure screw both boots the same. You don't want one of them getting mad.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Nov 10, 2009, 07:55 PM »
                 hey skipper i have the voyager and i hate the seats!!!!!.....any advice i see your a big guy as well as i am so i am sure you are prolly not a big fan of the seats!

I love the seats, they were one of the selling points for me. I am 6'1'' and weigh between 230 and 250 depending on how many cheeseburgers I eat. My best fishing partner is around 6'2'' and he goes about 215 to 220 and he has no complaints either. They are just like a nice padded boat seat, maybe yours are different.

It is settled, I am screwing my boots. Don't tell my wife....... she may get upset........ about her floors. ;)

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 10, 2009, 08:03 PM »

It is settled, I am screwing my boots. Don't tell my wife....... she may get upset........ about her floors. ;)
We want 25 jigs for each user or we're tellin'. Just visit the family planning section of your local supermarket before you do that. We don't need a bunch of lil (Sum'er) Skipper boots running around.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #27 on: Nov 10, 2009, 08:09 PM »
Just make sure screw both boots the same. You don't want one of them getting mad.
"There's Skipper!"
"How do you know?"
"He's got that mad boot that won't cooperate! So he just walks in circles!"

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Nov 10, 2009, 08:23 PM »
We are now looking up at the intellectual gutter guys. :woot:

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!