Author Topic: Sidescan while ice fishing?  (Read 838 times)

Offline cerhardt161

• IceShanty Rookie
Sidescan while ice fishing?
« on: Oct 25, 2021, 11:56 PM »
Im sure someone knows the answer to this but if you take your hull transducer and mount it to a board or some mount to go in an ice hole would you be able to spin the transducer 360° with sidescan on and get basically the same info that a 360 imaging would get? I know its not going to be the exact same but it would be nice to know which way a brush pile was or if you could see a breakline. I have a buddy with a older fishfinder with just sonar that he has a hull transducer mounted up and it works fine for that but im not too sure how sidescan would work not moving in a steady direction.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
Re: Sidescan while ice fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2021, 07:47 AM »
my sidescan has to be moving in order to read properly.

I used my open water ducer for a season and I found it to be a hassle getting it to sit correctly in the water.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2021, 08:12 AM »
Side imaging on my Humminbird requires movement as well....
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2021, 10:47 AM »
IDO has a thread on this and the guys posting disagree the ducer has to be moving.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2021, 12:45 PM »
IDO has a thread on this and the guys posting disagree the ducer has to be moving.

Interesting because I've used sidescan for 4 yrs and it has never read correctly moving less than about 1 mph. I am only referencing Garmin though, maybe its different for other manufacturers

Less than that speed will be nothing more than a blurry image, its very noticeable.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2021, 01:32 PM »
Interesting because I've used sidescan for 4 yrs and it has never read correctly moving less than about 1 mph. I am only referencing Garmin though, maybe its different for other manufacturers

Less than that speed will be nothing more than a blurry image, its very noticeable.

Same, the image on my bird starts to get fuzzy at .8 mph and becomes unreadable at .5 mph. It is an older unit though, probably 2013-14. Maybe the newest tech deals with it lack of movement better?
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2021, 02:33 PM »
So instead of cutting a hole and spinning it, we cut a really really long trench and drag it? Maybe like the video I saw last year of the guy "trolling" in the crack on URL?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.