Author Topic: Strikemaster Electric Auger Problem  (Read 891 times)

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
Strikemaster Electric Auger Problem
« on: Jan 02, 2014, 05:33 AM »
Looking for some help with my Strikemaster Electra Auger.  I have the original model.  I started it up using the 12 v 9ah battery and also hooking it up to my truck battery.  I'm not getting the torque that it should have.  Worried that it might be something I can't fix.  Any thoughts on what I can try?

"That's how you do it...That is how you ice fish!" MM

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Strikemaster Electric Auger Problem
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2014, 11:37 AM »
how old or how many hours are on it?
what does it use to connect to battery? did you change it or inspect it?
have you added wire? if so, did you use larger gauge wire than than the factory did?
have you changed any fuses or inspected them? try a fresh one slightly bigger to test with
have you checked all connections right after using it for heat? if you find a hot connection, it is either loose or a poor connection point and needs to be made better so no current lose in it.
if used heavy, the brushes may be worn down especially if water was in it.
is there a gear box you have to maintain oil/grease in and have been doing it?
is the speed the same as it was new with no load? or its only bad under load? if bad under load, are the blades sharp or new condition?

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
Re: Strikemaster Electric Auger Problem
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2014, 11:54 AM »
-The auger is probably about 10 years old give or take, not sure how many hours are on in, but a good amount also.  Last year it wasn't used once because we didn't have the ice.
-Took at a look at the battery connectors, everything seems fine.  Uses the little clips that slide over the connectors on the battery.
-I have not added any wiring to it.
-I have not changed any fuses.  There are no visible fuses, nor anything about fuses in the manuel.  If there is maybe it is inside the main part.
-I have checked the connections, but not for heat so I will have to give that a try.
-What brushes would be in it?
-I opened up the casing and the gears are all greased up, they turn manually fine.
-The blades were sent out to get resharpened prior to last year, so they have no ice time on them.  The low speed is under no load, I have yet to take it out on the ice this year.

At this point I'm hoping that since it hasn't been used in a while, that I am remembering it in my head as going faster then it really does.  It is a better option then having something wrong with it.  I talked to a friend that I work with who is an engineer and he said it would be hard to pinpoint the exact issue without completely taking it apart.  I'm going to try and charge my battery again over night to make sure that is not the issue and use it this weekend and see how it goes.  When it is plugged in the light is green indicating a good charge, but as soon as I use it it turns yellow.  I'm hoping that is just a light sensor issue and not really an indication of the battery power.

"That's how you do it...That is how you ice fish!" MM

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.