Author Topic: Serving size?  (Read 5723 times)

Offline Tikkaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Serving size?
« on: Feb 12, 2016, 04:14 PM »
I have 27 crappies in the freezer from last weekend.  They are in the 9.5-12" class and are fillets.  I'm having a few people over for a fish fry and I'm trying to figure out how much to make to please everyone.  2 adult males with big appetites and 6 kids.  Any suggestions on how many fish to make?  Thanks

Offline Jimbo911

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Serving size?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2016, 07:44 PM »
Honestly I'd say all of them. 6 kids lets say they will eat 2 fish each that's 12. Let's say you two eat 5 fish. That's 10 = 22 fish. Throw som Mac n cheese  and fries you could maybe cut the portion in half.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2016, 07:57 PM »
We cooked 10-12 crappie for 3 adults. I don't keep dinks, my wife cooks a real meal not just a pile of fish.
 Fries,Coleslaw,jalapeno poppers, and sometimes hush puppies. I have cooked just fish with nothing else and my son and I have polished off 12 fish.

Offline Tikkaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2016, 10:15 PM »
Thanks for the responses,  all of them it is.  Kind of what I was hoping to hear,  I wasn't thinking after a 2 hour fish cleaning process and I put all of them in one bag.  I definitely don't want to refreze any.  I'm hungry just thinking about the grease sizzling 🍴

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2016, 11:54 AM »
I make twenty five fish for a dinner and that feeds my wife, our two kids, and me.  Our kids will eat the fish and only a bite or two of whatever else we make with it which is usually french fries, a vegetable, and coleslaw. 

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2016, 05:58 AM »
4-5 fish per adult is how I figure and is always some left with other stuff wife fixes!!

Offline Allen66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2016, 08:26 AM »
Make them all and don't blink when you set them down or you won't get any, lol!

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2016, 11:22 AM »
depending on size i usually put anywhere between 25 and 35 fish in a bag and freeze or eat.  my wife bakes some (as she is always on a healthy kick) and the kids and i eat the rest fried.  there is usually not much left but if there is some that have been fried left over i love to just put them in the skillet by themselves and pan fry them up the next day or whenever.  it just uses the oil already in the batter and it cooks up really good.  man i m hungry!!!

Offline modelmaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2016, 07:09 PM »
I put around a dozen fish in a bag. Wife and I can eat 3/4 of 'em, but good news is leave-overs for lunch for me next day.

Offline crappeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2016, 09:55 PM »
I figure 10 average size pan fish filets per person.

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2016, 02:42 PM »
If you want to make them go further, make fish taco's out of them, figure 1-3 taco's per kid, 3-5 per adult.

plus that way you can sneak some cabbage/salsa(tomatoes) into your kids diet

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2016, 01:28 PM »
in the food service biz, I think they consider 6oz a seafood portion. but that would be scallops in a 4 star restaurant. I should think 10oz a person plenty for a meal.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2016, 03:19 PM »
So next question what do the two fillets on say a 10-11 inch crappie weigh??

Offline Tikkaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2016, 08:28 PM »
I ended up only frying up half of them, turned out to be the perfect amount cause the other adult and his kids didn't make it over.  My oldest daughter loves fish but my younger 2 daughters are not a big fan.  Lunch the next day was as good as dinner the prior night! 

Offline chasdc1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2016, 05:43 AM »
Crappies are the best  :)

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2016, 06:53 AM »
depending on size i usually put anywhere between 25 and 35 fish in a bag and freeze or eat.  my wife bakes some (as she is always on a healthy kick) and the kids and i eat the rest fried.  there is usually not much left but if there is some that have been fried left over i love to just put them in the skillet by themselves and pan fry them up the next day or whenever.  it just uses the oil already in the batter and it cooks up really good.  man i m hungry!!!
                             Are you talking fish or pieces (2 when filleted) ?  Unless they are 4" long that's a lot of fish to eat, and I love fish!!

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #16 on: Sep 28, 2016, 01:52 PM »
                             Are you talking fish or pieces (2 when filleted) ?  Unless they are 4" long that's a lot of fish to eat, and I love fish!!

I agree 27 Crappies, 54 fillets of that size is a lot of fish for that many people.   I like fish and I will only eat about 6 Crappie Fillets (3 Fish) max with bread and butter. 

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 13, 2016, 11:54 PM »
You can make fish sandwiches with any left over.  I heat the fillets up for 30 seconds max in microwave and add toast, lettuce and tartar sauce.  They are awesome.

Offline johnsonaaro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Oct 17, 2016, 09:22 AM »
When i make fish, or go out for a fish fry, i purposefully make extras for leftovers for making fish sammiches like bullpine said.
I like to heat up a skillet and crisp the breading on both sides of the filets and then throw slices of extra sharp cheddar on top.
throw it on some toasted rye bread with some tartar and its better than any fish sandwich you'll get at a restaurant .

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Oct 18, 2016, 02:13 PM »
I figure 10 average size pan fish filets per person.
X2 , That's a good number, I vac pac in 1lb packages 

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2016, 11:55 AM »
Yep, cook them all.  Might even wish you had more.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.