Author Topic: hummingbird 160  (Read 936 times)

Offline david roop1

• IceShanty Rookie
hummingbird 160
« on: Mar 13, 2018, 03:07 PM »
I've been ice fishing for over 40 years, and am just this season getting into electronics. I have a HB 160, and I can't get the alarm to shut off. I have played with the settings and nothing works. Am I doing something stupid, or is there a problem with the unit? Thanks in advance for any input.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Re: hummingbird 160
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2018, 06:47 PM »
Might want to go to default settings, start new. Might have a setting changed.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2018, 10:02 AM »
Iam not real satisfied with any of the Humminbird electronics these days. When they work they tend to work great but when anything goes wrong if it needs repair you can forget it.

I have a 688 CI HD DI unit that is both a chart plotter with GPS and a fish finder. It did both functions great for 2 seasons and now this season in the finder mode it shows the bottom fine. Say I am fishing in 60 feet the bottom shows at 60 feet fine but up in the top right corner it has a digital depth read out in numbers and it jumps back and forth from 320 feet deep and even up to 583 feet deep while the bottom is still 60. I did all the home resets back to the default settings and updating the software from their site but no difference. I tried 2 other transducers I know are working fine and still stupid digital numbers appear. Humminbird says send it in for repairs and send a check for $210 with it plus an authorization if it needs additional parts. That's almost half of the original cost so what they are really saying is toss it out and go buy a new unit. Poor support after the sale because they just don't care.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2018, 11:19 AM »
which alarm won't shut off the bottom or fish alarm? if it's the fish alarm, maybe you can make it sound for big fish only?
put some glue inside the speaker so it can't sound anymore if they didn't give it a way to disarm it or tape over it. or open it up and disconnect it.

Iam not real satisfied with any of the Humminbird electronics these days. When they work they tend to work great but when anything goes wrong if it needs repair you can forget it.

I have a 688 CI HD DI unit that is both a chart plotter with GPS and a fish finder. It did both functions great for 2 seasons and now this season in the finder mode it shows the bottom fine. Say I am fishing in 60 feet the bottom shows at 60 feet fine but up in the top right corner it has a digital depth read out in numbers and it jumps back and forth from 320 feet deep and even up to 583 feet deep while the bottom is still 60. I did all the home resets back to the default settings and updating the software from their site but no difference. I tried 2 other transducers I know are working fine and still stupid digital numbers appear. Humminbird says send it in for repairs and send a check for $210 with it plus an authorization if it needs additional parts. That's almost half of the original cost so what they are really saying is toss it out and go buy a new unit. Poor support after the sale because they just don't care.

Gam

same for me. they want 180$ for an ice series sonar repair. then, they won't fix what you needed fixed after they've spent your money.
i sent in my ice-55 twice back to back to find out the hard way. done spending with them also.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2018, 11:26 AM »
which alarm won't shut off the bottom or fish alarm? if it's the fish alarm, maybe you can make it sound for big fish only?
put some glue inside the speaker so it can't sound anymore if they didn't give it a way to disarm it or tape over it. or open it up and disconnect it.

same for me. they want 180$ for an ice series sonar repair. then, they won't fix what you needed fixed after they've spent your money.
i sent in my ice-55 twice back to back to find out the hard way. done spending with them also.

I wonder if Humminbird knows there are other brands such as Lowrance that pretty much do the same functions for right around the same prices that we can go to once we feel screwed.

Gam

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2018, 11:41 AM »
or garmin.i like what they are doing lately!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2018, 11:58 AM »

YUP! We had a Gander store here, not any more, and they ran some nice sales on these Humminbird models, some at 40% off plus a mail in rebate. Me and 2 fishing buddies bought them and liked them. Both of my buddies had to send theirs in for repairs while still under warranty which wasn't too bad except being without them during the season. Mine went stupid after the warranty expired and they stick it deep then. It still works fine except for the stupid digital numbers I can't turn off but a piece of black electric tape covers it.

Gam

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2018, 12:03 PM »

Ive got a Garmin echomap chirp/dv on a Jon boat.  This is my 3rd season with it. When I was looking around I played with garmin, lowrance, and bird products at the stores and in friends boats. It was an easy choice to make. Im quite happy with it so far.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.