The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Only in New Hampshire!!  (Read 1066 times)

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
Only in New Hampshire!!
« on: Dec 19, 2007, 05:17 AM »
FARMINGTON — A local man safely escaped his old plow truck before it nose-dived into a man-made pond along Meaderboro Road early Tuesday afternoon.

Ross Robicheau of 877 Meaderboro Road was out plowing a relative's pond so it could be used as a neighborhood ice-skating rink when things took a bad turn.

As Robicheau, 41, plowed an area over the middle of the pond, the ice cracked. Leaping out of his old Dodge pickup, he headed for the safety of dry land.

Undaunted, Robicheau maintained his sense of humor after the incident.

"Not even a little bit," Robicheau said, laughing about the truck's lack of amphibious capabilities. "You got to laugh, what are you going to do?"

"It deserves to be in the water more than anything," he joked.

The cab of the truck, which he estimated to be more than 30 years old, was fully submerged, with only the tip of the roof and the truck's bed protruding above the ice.

It was no laughing matter for the emergency responders. Farmington fire, police, and EMS arrived at 915 Meaderboro Road around 12:30 p.m. after being notified by a neighbor of a man in a truck which had gone into a pond.

Additional calls had been made to Milton and Rochester requesting rescue boats, but were called off once it was confirmed no one was in danger, Fire Chief Rich Fowler said.

"(I) urge everybody to be cautious on the ice, even with the cold weather," Fowler said. "It's a good example. You shouldn't be taking vehicles onto the ice until you know it is safe."

As of Tuesday afternoon, Fowler was waiting to hear from Marine Patrol regarding the incident, and whether they would need to investigate or allow Robicheau to use his excavator to remove the truck.

Later Tuesday afternoon, Fowler said Marine Patrol passed it off to the state Department of Environmental Services, which gave the go-ahead for Robicheau to remove the truck himself.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Only in New Hampshire!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2007, 05:39 AM »
It will happen in ME next

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2007, 07:16 AM »
I was thinking the same thing with all this snow on the lakes. Someone is going to get the bright idea to plow a road to his favorite fishing spot only to leave some submerged structure for the fish. Monday is suppose to be up in the 40's and rain, hopefully that will knock some of the snow down.
Steve

Offline wardens worry

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing at the bad omen
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2007, 08:10 PM »
portland public works does this about once a year @ deering oaks park. i think its a ritual
FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Offline kimball07

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • race,fish,and hunt
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2007, 08:16 PM »
look at the last name... weewee ;D

Offline pennreels

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2007, 09:46 PM »
Must be French.........cus I am

Tom

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2007, 02:05 AM »
How much had he had to drink
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.