The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Maine Sportsman  (Read 2406 times)

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
Maine Sportsman
« on: Dec 07, 2007, 12:38 PM »
Has anyone read the article in Decembers issue about aggressive ice fishing?

Not a bad idea... But if you read the article the writer states "A trip to Allagash Lake last year" then he goes on to talk about how they kept changing their LIVE minnows every 10 - 15 minutes. Which who ever fishes Allagash knows it NO LIVE FISH as BAIT.

Now my question is, if you write for the Maine Sportsman shouldn't you at least know the Laws or is this guy just putting words on paper to get people to buy it?
I can see someone reading this article and trying this technique out on Allagash only to have MDIFW write him a summons for fishing with live bait. Just struck me funny while I was reading it and wondered what everbody thought?

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Maine Sportsman
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2007, 12:46 PM »
wow yeah that sounds kinda misleading ha?

Offline DaveRT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2007, 12:49 PM »
Makes it look like the writer has a brother in-law in the bait business.
"Give a man a fish to feed him for a day. Teach him to ice fish and he will spend all his time ice fishing and spend all his money on gear and beer."

Offline Doofy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2007, 12:51 PM »
Maybe he meant to say "a trip to an Allagash Lake" meaning not Allagash lake itself.  I don't know but I do remember the article.  I do think there are some writers in the Sportsman as well as the Northeast Journal whose info is spotty and they give you the feeling that they just took the info from someone else and put it on paper.  Most of the writers I enjoy reading.

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2007, 12:51 PM »
I know... That's why I'm asking everyone what they think.

I think MDIFW should issue this moron a summons based on what he wrote :o He would think twice before writing something like that again....

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2007, 12:58 PM »
One of the reasons I havn't read that stuff for years now! Just the other day I happened to see Harry @ Smith doing a segment of crossfire. What they said, thru me into a rage. Some key words, southern Maine, Guides ass., ice fishing, live bait,
ecconomic impact toward native brook trout, legestlature, ... I don't  know what kind of drugs there on or how much power they think they have, but beware!!!   >:(
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2007, 01:03 PM »
I know... That's why I'm asking everyone what they think.

I think MDIFW should issue this moron a summons based on what he wrote :o He would think twice before writing something like that again....

pretty much stated he used live bait there  IMO mail him a summons and or front page article fireing him for fake info!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2007, 01:04 PM »
One of the reasons I havn't read that stuff for years now! Just the other day I happened to see Harry @ Smith doing a segment of crossfire. What they said, thru me into a rage. Some key words, southern Maine, Guides ass., ice fishing, live bait,
ecconomic impact toward native brook trout, legestlature, ... I don't  know what kind of drugs there on or how much power they think they have, but beware!!!   >:(
Don't ever get caught reeling in a fish when Harry's around!!! He will crowd you right out of the area!! That guy is so arrogant... To bad... someone with that much exposure could really do some good for Maine. But not in his case. What ever makes his wallet fatter!! Along with his side kick on Wildfire

Offline Butch Moore

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • OOOOPS!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2007, 01:07 PM »
Is this the episode you're talking about Paul?

http://www.ursusproductions.com/thisshow_wild.htm

We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2007, 01:16 PM »
Is this the episode you're talking about Paul?

http://www.ursusproductions.com/thisshow_wild.htm

Yup, Ted Koffman and palls against bait, icefisherman BLA BLA BLA. 
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2007, 01:41 PM »
Do they really know what's good for Maine or is it just what their rich buddies think????

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2007, 03:10 PM »
Ted Koffman is friend of the everyday man, now he wants to put a 20 cent tax on plastic bags you get at the store. Just what we need more taxes.
Steve

Offline Doofy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2007, 03:22 PM »
I have the Sportsman in front of me now and it is unfortunate that Mr. William Clunie (the author of the article)did not include his e-mail address as other writers do.  Someone should call him out and tell him he either fished illegally or made up the story.  Both of which is not acceptable IMO.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2007, 04:02 PM »
Agreed, pretty useless publication.  Same old info. month by month, year by year.  I get it as a Christmas gift and just carefully re-read it.  I THINK the first part of the article is meant to be about another lake.  It doesn't say Allagash in the first section and shows a power auger and talks about five traps, all no - no's.  Can't imagine a writer would be quite that blatant.  In the second part I was going to give him the benefit of the doubt until it talked about "lively minnows" because it never mentioned number of traps or how the holes were drilled.  Bottom line, pretty confusing and poorly proofed.  Two words - Northwoods Journal.

FLAG - I did find this in an earlier edition -  William Clunie - [email protected]

Offline slt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2007, 04:39 PM »
Don't ever get caught reeling in a fish when Harry's around!!! He will crowd you right out of the area!! That guy is so arrogant... To bad... someone with that much exposure could really do some good for Maine. But not in his case. What ever makes his wallet fatter!! Along with his side kick on Wildfire

I believe Mr. Vanderwide has met the represenatives of the DIFW a time or two in their official capacity. Saw him intervewing a warden once and made referance to it and laughed about it. Hell I'm not perfect  :whistle: :whistle:but I aint writting about it either
diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Offline Bugman1964

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2007, 04:47 PM »

I had the chance to met Harry a few years ago while crossing the boarder to go spring bear hunting in New Brunswick. It was quite entertaining watching the Canadian boarder patrol rifle through his vehicle. I paid my firearms fee, got in my vehicle and left.

Offline imajeep

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • muskie trip 07,08,09,10...
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2007, 05:03 PM »
i read the article also... and it pissed me off to no end... i spend my life in the woods of maine quebec and NH... and ive fished everywhere i could get a trap thru the ice, same with hunting.. consider myself a good outdoorsman, and try to teach others the same.  But the next thing you know, they'll be young guys, and families who dont know the difference... out there "switching out the bait"  just like "he did"

i firmly believe that i have become dumber after reading this article.
below is the pasted copy of the letter i sent to the editor

----"Agressive fishing tactics, maybe a little too agressive"---

Regarding the story about agressive fishing tactics, and changing bait frequently... i believe i noticed that the bait mentioned, was in fact live......im not going to get into the nitty gritty here, but if you did actually use live bait at the location i believe you are discussing, maybe you should think about turning yourself in to the wardens.(if they haven't already contacted you after reading the article)
    If you published the story knowing there was inacurate, or misleading information within the article- well, im sure thats not the case, not after this many years of good service.
    Either way, im somewhat discouraged. though hopefull that it will be corrected.
If i have misread or misunderstood the information, please excuse the foolish nonsence above.

Thank you-
imajeep

-----
Ignorance like this should not be tollerated, and should be called out.
thats just the reason publications of this nature are collecting dust on the market shelves.
Barely legal is just how i like em'.......
Fish, that is.... yah, the fish

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2007, 05:35 PM »
Imajeep,

I would be curious is you receive a reply back, if you do could you post here?

thanks...

Offline Corso

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2007, 05:31 AM »
Id like to see him crowd me..Id knock him on his FAT arse!
Loser...outta move to Canada..start a show up there!

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2007, 07:27 AM »
I have worked around Harry at one time for 3 years, doing TV stuff.HE has a EGO as big as his back side.HE is not a nice guy.He was always one thing in front of a camera and another thing of the camera.OR if he was thinking you could help him he was mister NICE GUY.They say cream floats to the top.WELL so does $h!t. ;D. The north woods guys well worked with one of the owners 2 years in the outdoor thing.NOT good.BUT hey Its one of those I know to much cant talk about them thing. Money does change things and it did change them.but from there past I dont think they changed much they stayed the same!     OH yea HI GUYS!
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Offline Doofy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 08, 2007, 07:36 AM »
i read the article also... and it **censored** me off to no end... i spend my life in the woods of maine quebec and NH... and ive fished everywhere i could get a trap thru the ice, same with hunting.. consider myself a good outdoorsman, and try to teach others the same.  But the next thing you know, they'll be young guys, and families who dont know the difference... out there "switching out the bait"  just like "he did"

i firmly believe that i have become dumber after reading this article.
below is the pasted copy of the letter i sent to the editor

----"Agressive fishing tactics, maybe a little too agressive"---

Regarding the story about agressive fishing tactics, and changing bait frequently... i believe i noticed that the bait mentioned, was in fact live......im not going to get into the nitty gritty here, but if you did actually use live bait at the location i believe you are discussing, maybe you should think about turning yourself in to the wardens.(if they haven't already contacted you after reading the article)
    If you published the story knowing there was inacurate, or misleading information within the article- well, im sure thats not the case, not after this many years of good service.
    Either way, im somewhat discouraged. though hopefull that it will be corrected.
If i have misread or misunderstood the information, please excuse the foolish nonsence above.

Thank you-
imajeep

-----
Ignorance like this should not be tollerated, and should be called out.
thats just the reason publications of this nature are collecting dust on the market shelves.

Nice work James.  I think you forgot to add at the bottom : P.S "Harry Vanderweide is a biaaaaaaaatch"  Ha Ha.  He was real rude to my wife at a Sportmans show years ago.  I actually kind of expected his personality to be what it is for some reason.  I have heard the same negative things about Bill Green as well.

Brad

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Dec 08, 2007, 10:18 AM »
10 to 1 there will be no response.  I dont buy that rag often  just when the headlines hit me to give me another thought prossess when Im out on the ice  or in the woods  I believe thats the last time I buy one as I am also going tosend a letter and sign it with my real name and address  maybe possibly if anyone doesnt disagree reference our chat here too  if anyone objects please say so as I will not reference this if 1 person says no
John
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.