The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Hooks?  (Read 1036 times)

Offline maine_ice_angler

• IceShanty Rookie
Hooks?
« on: Jan 16, 2021, 09:43 AM »
What is everybody using for hooks? I switched to octopus circle hooks on my tip ups last year and feel like I had pretty good success. This year I’ve missed/lost at least five fish with these hooks. I tied new ones on this year so they’re far from dull. Just had a fish that was peeling line of the reel and still lost, I’m getting frustrated 😅

Offline OptimusPrime

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Hooks?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2021, 09:57 AM »
I remember when DMR made all the striper fishermen switch to circle hooks several years back. Everyone still set the hook on a running fish with a hard heave. The hookup ratio was terrible until people learned not to set the hook. Just slow gradual pressure until you feel for sure you are on, then you can pop it. That way the circle slides out of their guts and catches the corner of the mouth as it’s exiting. Reef it and it will fly all the way out without cornering on the mouth.

Offline maine_ice_angler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2021, 10:01 AM »
Just slow gradual pressure until you feel for sure you are on, then you can pop it.

Good tip, I’ll remember that for the next one!

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2021, 11:02 AM »
I tried circle hooks for 1 season in my tipups. I found I need 1 size larger that I usually use in my tipups.
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2021, 11:33 AM »
Two things:

1.) To assume that new hooks fresh out of the box are sharp enough is false security. Always check their sharpness and it never hurts to give 'em a quick touch up.

2.) Regarding circle hooks: Linedogg104 is correct to move up in size compared to conventional hooks. At least one size, maybe two depending on the manufacturer and design. Look at the actual hook gap and let that be your guide. Second, avoid the offset circles, those where the hook does not lay perfectly flat on a table. Offset hooks are not really true circles and will want to hook up anywhere they catch, not just the corner of the mouth.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2021, 11:44 AM »
After getting used to circles for stripers I now like them. I feel they work well with decent sized stripers because they run with the bait, swallow it and as you apply pressure the hook works as it’s supposed to hooking the fish in the corner of the mouth. Having said that I have not tried circles for trout n salmon thru the ice. I like size 6 gammy octopus hooks.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2021, 12:26 PM »
Garmagarsu off set hooks on tungsten carbide Jigs.

Offline gunn308

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2021, 12:34 PM »
Gammy #6 Octopus, not circles, replaced my #8s. And yeah don't haul on em to set the hook.
"Oats that have already been through the horse are always cheaper than oats that haven't"

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2021, 01:06 PM »
i use gammi octopus sz.4 with good sucess for many years. did the circle thing and they worked great but the size of the hook needed was reducing the time the bait survived on the hook so i went back to octopus. the last time i won the togue catagory in '16 of the Long lake derby, it was caught on a sz. 1 owner mutzu circle hook. they work well on the bigger species especially. ive heard circles dont work well on toothy fish like pike and musky because they hang up on the teeth instead of going to the corner of the mouth. others may state otherwise.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2021, 01:21 PM »
I don’t like circles for pike cuz they are too finicky with a bait sometimes. You have to let a pike run with a bait far too long when using a circle. I like single trebles or QS for pike.

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2021, 03:31 PM »
I tried them for a while, tried not setting the hook and all that, never worked. Gave up on them, mostly use gammkatsu size 8 and 10 bait holders with a much better hook up percentage.

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2021, 05:11 PM »
No question, woodchip and I are on the same page (at least with hooks, not size of holes  ;D)  I only fish Gamakatsu hooks from 6" trout, to 200lb tuna.  Only exception is Owner Super Muto for deep dropping.  Salmon and Togue I use Gamagatsu #6, maybe #8 if very finicky, Octopus....always use red hooks.  It does seem to make a difference. Circle hooks work well in the ocean, bigger fish, tougher mouths,  and usually less finicky.  Using circle hooks, imo, you should snell the hooks to create the correct angle.  It is a challenge,  not to "set" the hook when using circles until it becomes habit

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2021, 05:38 PM »
Gamakatsu is all I use.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2021, 07:32 PM »
No question, woodchip and I are on the same page (at least with hooks, not size of holes  ;D)  I only fish Gamakatsu hooks from 6" trout, to 200lb tuna.  Only exception is Owner Super Muto for deep dropping.  Salmon and Togue I use Gamagatsu #6, maybe #8 if very finicky, Octopus....always use red hooks.  It does seem to make a difference. Circle hooks work well in the ocean, bigger fish, tougher mouths,  and usually less finicky.  Using circle hooks, imo, you should snell the hooks to create the correct angle.  It is a challenge,  not to "set" the hook when using circles until it becomes habit
i really like the red hooks also. ;) gamakatzu or vmc.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.